Cromford Wharf Shunting layout - structures and scenery

Alister_G

• RMweb Gold

Al,

Best remedy for the rivets - Archer's transfers. A bit expensive but a real doddle to apply to a primed surface before the final topcoat and varnish.

Geraint

Thanks Geraint, I'll look at getting some. I was trying to work out how to do it - was looking at paper strip pricked with a pin.

Al.

Brilliant work on the pug makes me want to have a go bashing pugs is one of my favoret pats of this hobby.

Did you ever consider cutting a few mm off the front of the cylinders? The prototype looks like its got shorter cylinders but it would also give you room to pop a set of steps in the space this would create.

Very much enjoying this thread keep the reports coming.

Steve

Funnily enough I came across a photo yesterday, which isn't very clear, but which I thought looked as though there was a Caley Pug shunting Cromford Wharf.

I'm glad to know I wasn't cracking up!

Edit:

This is the photo:

Cromford-High-Peak-Railway-.jpg

Thanks,

Al.

That Caley pug is 56020, shedded at Burton at the time of the photo. There was a previous discussion about this photo, starting here - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/90405-br-locomotives-in-the-peak-district/?p=1714154 . Unfortunately, the photo referred to, which identifies the engines in the picture, doesn't appear to be available on the RCTS site any more.

Hi Al, just catching up with your thread, looks a good layout with lots of shunting potential.

May or may not be of interest but I took a couple of phone pics of one of the water tenders (assuming the lettering is to be believed presumably it was used on the C&HP) which is preserved at Wirksworth on the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway:

post-28743-0-91902500-1493778019_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-99144100-1493778052_thumb.jpg

It would make an unusual model at any rate!

Regards,

Martyn.

Edited by Signaller69
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Al, just catching up with your thread, looks a good layout with lots of shunting potential.

May or may not be of interest but I took a couple of phone pics of one of the water tenders (assuming the lettering is to be believed presumably it was used on the C&HP) which is preserved at Wirksworth on the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway:

attachicon.gifIMG_20170416_130705.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20170416_130603.jpg

Regards,

Martyn.

The CHPR certainly had a number of water carriers converted from loco tenders. I'm not sure if that is one of them.

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifIMG_20170416_130705.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20170416_130603.jpg

Regards,

Martyn.

The CHPR certainly had a number of water carriers converted from loco tenders. I'm not sure if that is one of them.

Hi Martyn, thanks very much for those photos.

I think you are right that the one preserved at Wirksworth is one of the originals used on the CHPR.

From what I have read, they were based on modified tender frames as Joseph says, and I believe the majority were based on LNWR Webb tenders, both 4 and 6 wheel varieties,

The problem arises, as above with the Kitson, that 4mm versions of these Webb tenders are rare, and so I need to think about my options.

I may try to use my Silhouette cutter to cut out side frames that could be added to modified Bachmann or Hornby tender models, I was thinking particularly the Deeley tenders from models like the Compound, 3F, 4F and Crab.

Again, these are all things I need to consider, but I really want to concentrate on getting the layout running for now, as I'm supposed to be getting on with Grindleford.

Thanks both,

Al.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Brilliant work on the pug makes me want to have a go bashing pugs is one of my favoret pats of this hobby.

Did you ever consider cutting a few mm off the front of the cylinders? The prototype looks like its got shorter cylinders but it would also give you room to pop a set of steps in the space this would create.

Very much enjoying this thread keep the reports coming.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Yep, there's all sorts I could do to make it better, and that was one I looked at whilst building it, but it would be a tricky manouver to cut away the diecast running plate to fit the steps, so I left it for now. I also wondered if it was possible to cut the cylinders off and re-hang them at a slight angle. But the whole motion is really non-existent on the Caley, it might be possible to graft on one from a different model.

However, If I was going to go to those lengths, I might as well buy the Brassmasters chassis and do it properly.

The more I look at it, the more I think I ought to scratch build a replacement saddle tank as well, as the Caley one is the wrong shape.

It's never ending :O

Thanks a lot,

Al.

• RMweb Gold

That Caley pug is 56020, shedded at Burton at the time of the photo. There was a previous discussion about this photo, starting here - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/90405-br-locomotives-in-the-peak-district/?p=1714154 . Unfortunately, the photo referred to, which identifies the engines in the picture, doesn't appear to be available on the RCTS site any more.

Thanks very much for the link, I'd not come across that before.

Al.

Looking at the construction I would say its purpose built at even though its got six wheels its got heavy duty solid plate W irons bolted direct to the chassis rails wagon fashion with tie bars between them more reminiscent to some of the heavy duty runner wagons the railway company's used in moving heavy loads like girders etc

• RMweb Premium

Looking at the construction I would say its purpose built at even though its got six wheels its got heavy duty solid plate W irons bolted direct to the chassis rails wagon fashion with tie bars between them more reminiscent to some of the heavy duty runner wagons the railway company's used in moving heavy loads like girders etc

It's an LNW tender frame, that's how they were built in the Webb era.

Hi Martyn, thanks very much for those photos.

I think you are right that the one preserved at Wirksworth is one of the originals used on the CHPR.

From what I have read, they were based on modified tender frames as Joseph says, and I believe the majority were based on LNWR Webb tenders, both 4 and 6 wheel varieties,

The problem arises, as above with the Kitson, that 4mm versions of these Webb tenders are rare, and so I need to think about my options.

I may try to use my Silhouette cutter to cut out side frames that could be added to modified Bachmann or Hornby tender models, I was thinking particularly the Deeley tenders from models like the Compound, 3F, 4F and Crab.

Again, these are all things I need to consider, but I really want to concentrate on getting the layout running for now, as I'm supposed to be getting on with Grindleford.

Thanks both,

Al.

I did a bit more digging on the water carrier and found it was apparently used on the C&HP, built 1894, more info on the EVR site here: http://www.e-v-r.com/stock/E003

Martyn.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mike, Martyn.

Geraint, if you're reading, did you model these, and if so what did you use as a basis?

Al.

Edited by acg_mr
  • Like 1

Thanks Mike, Martyn.

Geraint, if you're reading, did you model these, and if so what did you use as a basis?

Al.

Al,

Presumably you're referring to the water tenders? Yes, I have 3 in all. The first is a McConnell 4 wheel tender, which was scratchbuilt in plasticard. The other two are Webb three axle tenders with the centre axle removed. One is scratchbuilt and the other is a London Road models kit with details such as the coal rails removed.

Some years ago the HMRS published an article in their Journal with photos and drawings of the different variants. I have a copy somewhere, but if you're a member you may find it on their lists. Alternatively they should have a copy at the HMRS Library at the Midland Railway Centre - not too far away from you!

Regards,

Geraint

Hello Al, l think you have made a cracking job on the Pug, l think altering and adding extra detail to any loco is very pleasing and its the part of the hobby l enjoy most, all the added details l have added to my Peckett has given me a much better loco in the end (l think anyway) keep the pictures coming mate very interesting...

It's an LNW tender frame, that's how they were built in the Webb era.

Thanks Mike I've never seen one before now.

Steve

• RMweb Gold

Here's a photo or two of the converted tender chassis

chp-67-02.jpg

Copyright J.Wallace Sutherland

chp-67-03.jpg

These two below are, I think, the Webb 1800 gallon tender

chp-64-05.jpg

Al

Edited by acg_mr
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The three axle tender in the first of Sutherland's photos above looks very like this James McConnell LNWR design, and the two axle version seems to be similar:

LNWR_engine_No.895_%27Torch%27_%28grey%2

Al.

• RMweb Gold

The last two look like MR tenders.

Yep, they do look like Johnson or Deeley types, like this:

13%20tender%20with%20brakegear%20rear%20

Courtesy of Brassmasters.

I think maybe the Webb ones which I've heard quoted are like the pictures Signaller69 posted earlier, of the preserved one at Wirksworth, with the very basic chassis:

E003_0.jpg

Courtesy Ecclesbourne Valley Railway

Al

Edited by acg_mr
  • Like 1