Cromford Wharf Shunting layout - structures and scenery

Alister_G

Hi, thanks very much. I'll have to have a look for that book next time I'm in Bill Hudson's shop.

Al.

'Railways of the High Peak, onwards to...Cromford & High peak Junction Scenes from the past ; 37, part 2' If you can not find this book in the chaos that is Bill Hudson's book shop then Derbyshire Libraries have several copies available for loan Edited by islander

• RMweb Gold

'Railways of the High Peak, onwards to...Cromford & High peak Junction Scenes from the past ; 37, part 2' If you can not find this book in the chaos that is Bill Hudson's book shop then Derbyshire Libraries have several copies available for loan

That's great, thanks very much.

Al

• RMweb Premium

Finally for now, in the hipped roof building, there is a 4mm model of the site. I don't suppose anyone knows who built it?

You mean it was not you?!

• RMweb Gold

A quick prototype question, please.

Did trains from High Peak Jct to the Wharf have a brake van? I would assume that they did.

I am asking because considering building something for the "cameo layout" challenge and the use (or not) of brakevans would impact on the trackplan which would need to be simpler than this.

• RMweb Gold

A quick prototype question, please.

Did trains from High Peak Jct to the Wharf have a brake van? I would assume that they did.

I am asking because considering building something for the "cameo layout" challenge and the use (or not) of brakevans would impact on the trackplan which would need to be simpler than this.

Hi Joseph,

I'm sure they must have done, as they were using some unfitted wagons right through to the closure of the line, and the brake force of a J94 or Kitson 0-4-0 would surely not be enough, even at the sedate speeds they travelled.

However, with the limited resources available to me at work I'm unable to find a photo to show one way or the other.

I'll have a look tonight

Al.

Al / Joseph,

I have a Sectional Appendix to the WTT for 1960 which confirms that all of the High Peak from High Peak Junction to Hopton Top could be worked without a brake van in the rear. In practice the section west of Middleton Top was worked with a brake van, but I've yet to see evidence of one in use on the two lower sections.

Hope this helps,

Geraint

• RMweb Gold

Yesterday, and this evening, I've been working on the layout of the track, and cutting lengths of C&L flexi to fit between the turnouts.

post-17302-0-41448100-1493069579_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-14524700-1493069582_thumb.jpg

Having the workshop buildings has helped a lot in finalising the relative positions of everything:

post-17302-0-25364300-1493069584_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-18253400-1493069586_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-52975200-1493069588_thumb.jpg

One thing I've discovered, which I've never seen mentioned anywhere else, is this: with the C&L flexitrack, if you bend it into a curve, it ends up with kinks in it.

This is because there is solid plastic webbing under both rails between each block of 8 sleepers. So when you bend it, those stay straight, so you end up with short straights, then a sharp kink, then another short straight.

I found I had to cut away the webbing between the sleepers on the inside of the curve:

post-17302-0-28813800-1493069590_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-18109000-1493069592_thumb.jpg

and once you've done that, the track takes up a nice smooth curve:

post-17302-0-45669000-1493069594_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-48523800-1493069596_thumb.jpg

as the sleepers ends on the inside of the curve are now free to move closer together:

post-17302-0-34634100-1493069598_thumb.jpg

Perhaps this is so obvious as to not be worth mentioning, but I didn't know and had to work it out for myself, so now you all know!

More tomorrow,

Al.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Another bring-and-buy stall tonight, I'm really getting through those beans :O

The first four turnouts are now all droppered up, and their electrofrog gubbins hacked about, and now they are stuck down, with lots of weight to keep them flat.

post-17302-0-76177500-1493234449_thumb.jpg

However, this is not the main reason for posting.

No, I wanted to boast about this:

post-17302-0-24418000-1493234452_thumb.jpg

It's a DJM J94, 68012 in fact, which was one of C&HPR's engines, fitted with DCC Sound.

It's a lovely little model, it really is, and it chuffs as well!  :senile:  :senile:

Here's a couple of photos:

post-17302-0-43854800-1493234454_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-23082200-1493234457_thumb.jpg

Here's the real one:

post-17302-0-73723700-1493235384_thumb.jpg

Copyright John Evans - used with permission

The model needs lamps, and a crew, and some coal, and maybe tweak the factory weathering a bit.

I look forward to many happy hours playing TESTING!  :onthequiet:

Cheers,

Al.

• Like 9

Another bring-and-buy stall tonight, I'm really getting through those beans :O

The first four turnouts are now all droppered up, and their electrofrog gubbins hacked about, and now they are stuck down, with lots of weight to keep them flat.

attachicon.gifthe-cromford-build068.jpg

However, this is not the main reason for posting.

No, I wanted to boast about this:

attachicon.gifthe-cromford-build069.jpg

It's a DJM J94, 68012 in fact, which was one of C&HPR's engines, fitted with DCC Sound.

It's a lovely little model, it really is, and it chuffs as well!  :senile:  :senile:

Here's a couple of photos:

attachicon.gifthe-cromford-build070.jpg

attachicon.gifthe-cromford-build071.jpg

Here's the real one:

attachicon.gifJohn-Evans-Cromford-68012-rail-tour001.jpg

Copyright John Evans - used with permission

The model needs lamps, and a crew, and some coal, and maybe tweak the factory weathering a bit.

I look forward to many happy hours playing TESTING!  :onthequiet:

Cheers,

Al.

Very nice Buddy, much better than the Hornby version, and with Sound it's a real Bonus.

Nice one mate.

• RMweb Gold

The model is missing the middle steps?

Gordon A

Hi Gordon,

Yes, it is. I'm going to have to find some, or make some.

I notice the Hornby / Dapol one is the same - maybe some J94s ran like that?

Al.

Hi Gordon,

Yes, it is. I'm going to have to find some, or make some.

I notice the Hornby / Dapol one is the same - maybe some J94s ran like that?

Al.

Some J94s did run without middle steps.

As usual photographs are a modellers best friend.

RT models do some fittings for Austerity tanks - they may be worth a look.

Gordon A

• RMweb Gold

The issue of cutting the web on C&L track (and other makes that are available) has been mentioned on the various BH 00 track threads. Personally, I prefer the C&L solution as it makes it easier to lay straight lengths when required.

• RMweb Gold

The issue of cutting the web on C&L track (and other makes that are available) has been mentioned on the various BH 00 track threads. Personally, I prefer the C&L solution as it makes it easier to lay straight lengths when required.

Hi Joseph, yes I agree, it's a lot easier to lay it straight than the Peco Code75 flexitrack, because of the webbing arrangement. I'd just never come across it before and so had to make it up as I went along.

Part of the fun of modelling, learning new things.

Al.

• RMweb Gold

The more obvious something is the less likely it is to be observed.

I think I just made that up!

No you did not, it's a well-known and called "hiding in clear sight".

As you get older, you will find more and more things that are capable of doing this. Happens to me on an almost daily basis now.

• RMweb Gold

Al / Joseph,

I have a Sectional Appendix to the WTT for 1960 which confirms that all of the High Peak from High Peak Junction to Hopton Top could be worked without a brake van in the rear. In practice the section west of Middleton Top was worked with a brake van, but I've yet to see evidence of one in use on the two lower sections.

Hope this helps,

Geraint

Thank you. That is very helpful information although it cuts down the operating interest of the layout a bit. I probably need to add to the "works" activity to justify a few vans delivering materials as well as the mineral wagons for the incline.

• RMweb Gold

As you get older, you will find more and more things that are capable of doing this. Happens to me on an almost daily basis now.

Indeed!

A case in point, I spent a good ten minutes yesterday trying to find my side cutters, even going to the extent of searching my tool drawer and various rooms in the house, only to return to my workbench and they were RIGHT THERE in front of me.

Al.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yesterday, and this evening, I've been working on the layout of the track, and cutting lengths of C&L flexi to fit between the turnouts.

attachicon.gifthe-cromford-build058.jpg

attachicon.gifthe-cromford-build059.jpg

Having the workshop buildings has helped a lot in finalising the relative positions of everything:

attachicon.gifthe-cromford-build060.jpg

attachicon.gifthe-cromford-build061.jpg

attachicon.gifthe-cromford-build062.jpg

One thing I've discovered, which I've never seen mentioned anywhere else, is this: with the C&L flexitrack, if you bend it into a curve, it ends up with kinks in it.

This is because there is solid plastic webbing under both rails between each block of 8 sleepers. So when you bend it, those stay straight, so you end up with short straights, then a sharp kink, then another short straight.

I found I had to cut away the webbing between the sleepers on the inside of the curve:

attachicon.gifthe-cromford-build063.jpg

attachicon.gifthe-cromford-build064.jpg

and once you've done that, the track takes up a nice smooth curve:

attachicon.gifthe-cromford-build065.jpg

attachicon.gifthe-cromford-build066.jpg

as the sleepers ends on the inside of the curve are now free to move closer together:

attachicon.gifthe-cromford-build067.jpg

Perhaps this is so obvious as to not be worth mentioning, but I didn't know and had to work it out for myself, so now you all know!

More tomorrow,

Al.

Not casting aspersions on you by the way, but, I think this comes under the heading "blindingly obvious things that we all know so we don't bother telling any body", the problem being how does anybody know what everyone else knows?

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

Not casting aspersions on you by the way, but, I think this comes under the heading "blindingly obvious things that we all know so we don't bother telling any body", the problem being how does anybody know what everyone else knows?

Mike.

I've never used anything but Peco track, so I didn't know...  I also think I'd have been frustrated about the lack of bend until I'd looked at the sleeper webbing.

• RMweb Gold

A quick progress report.

Track laying is proceeding, and the bits you see here which are not buried under miscellaneous groceries are laid and stuck down, whilst the bits under the tins are drying:

post-17302-0-87914200-1493416986_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-26456600-1493416989_thumb.jpg

The small workshops have received a first coat of Matt Tan on the stonework:

post-17302-0-41066500-1493416991_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-39550500-1493416993_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-40814500-1493416995_thumb.jpg

and I've started to mark out and cut the big workshop building, here's the front gable end:

post-17302-0-63977500-1493416997_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-66938400-1493416999_thumb.jpg

More tomorrow,

Thanks for looking,

Al.

• Like 9