RMweb

CARROG in 4mm & Ruabon discussion...

coachmann

Last time I needed some smp track I ended up driving to there shop because, Mr post man was using the tube as a bat, or that's what I think he used it for. It was like an old baking tin.  

I can empathize with this. Had bent and/or warped sleepers several times and wrote packages off rather than post them back. But not this time....Enough is enough.

Edited by coachmann

It's on its way!

Really grateful. Cork was glued down this evening.  Two points arrived today so many thanks.

On different topic, I went to a great deal of effort when laying the previous points with solenoids, change-over switches and wiring. Even then I often threw the wrong switches and the best i could say for it was, it kept my hand out of sight when filming movie. I haven't used Mercontrol wire & tubing for many years (1964), but that is what will activate the points via Gem levers.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 4

Really grateful. Cork was glued down this evening.  Two points arrived today so many thanks.

On different topic, I went to a great deal of effort when laying the previous points with solenoids, change-over switches and wiring. Even then I often threw the wrong switches and the best i could say for it was, it kept my hand out of sight when filming movie. I haven't used Mercontrol wire & tubing for many years (1964), but that is what will activate the points via Gem levers.

Wire and Tube is always a safe bet, will the Points be modified with Frog switching?

The sprayed track left an impression and so the coark was cut back and then shamferred with an electric sander...

attachicon.gifWEB New curve 21.jpg

Looking back the other way, the solitary Code 83 point bent to a slight curve, and the bullhead points are also bent to suit the location....

attachicon.gifWEB New Curve 19.jpg

New track starts at the magnets between the rails and is on a camber through the points although the yard point on the left is on the flat...

attachicon.gifWEB New curve 20.jpg

Entrance to new Down yard....

attachicon.gifWEB New curve 22.jpg

Camber is the opposite way on the 'S' bend...

attachicon.gifWEB New curve 24.jpg

Hi,

Not posted on your thread before, but have been admiring your work for some time.  The Peco code 83 certainly gives a nice flow to the track work.  I used some on a previous layout, as I thought they were better than the code 75 variety.  On the current layout I have bitten the bullet and constructed some point work from C&L components, but its a bit time consuming and have also used tilling in some locations, I like their sprung switch rails and they do some large radius turnouts that can be curved, not cheap though.  

Some 20 years or so ago I did some consultancy work in the US and near where I was staying there was a bridge over the tracks on the entrance to a large freight yard, the track looked familiar and bore a striking resemblance to Peco Streamline, particularly as there were no inside signals or point rodding - a prototype for everything!  I would post some photos, but in Turkey at the moment doing some DIY on our holiday place there.

Look forward to seeing how the new goods yard develops.

Malcolm.

• Like 2

Welcome Malcolm to our happy band. We learn from each other on here and things work out well. Any hopes on my part of Peco doing their bullhead using Code 83 geometry were soon squashed. As you say, it gives a nice flow to trackwork.

Wire and Tube is always a safe bet, will the Points be modified with Frog switching?

No.  While some of my points had frog switches, the one with a surface motor didn't. I will see how things go.

I have noticed over the years that SMP does have a tendency to end up like the length you have there _ I assumed it was people pulling it in and out of the tubes where it is displayed in the shops.

One very good thing about C&L's OO Bullhead track (if its still easily available, they seem to have had some problems with the change of hands -I hope it is!) is that it is dead straight until you chose for it not to be so.

• RMweb Gold

C&L still sells the thin sleepered track. I got two boxes recently. Phil of C&L says that he has had to get rail specially drawn to go through the chairs. The web is thinner so it's even more flexible. I don't know if the thicker chaired flexi is similarly affected.

Edited by Rowsley17D

Larry, please can I ask, what colour Station fencing should I have for Pen Y Bont in the 60's, white or cream?

I have the Parkside / Peco white wooden fencing to use.

attachicon.gifParkside fencing..jpg

I can only suggest you look at photos of similar station along the Western Region line you are modelling.  Fencing I have seen on some ex/GWR stations was cream, but then I have also seen brown. Fencing at Bala was brown. Many GWR stations used fencing posts and wire or spear fencing as at Corrog.

I can only suggest you look at photos of similar station along the Western Region line you are modelling.  Fencing I have seen on some ex/GWR stations was cream, but then I have also seen brown. Fencing at Bala was brown. Many GWR stations used fencing posts and wire or spear fencing as at Corrog.

Thanks Larry, I'll try and find some colour pics.

Larry, please can I ask, what colour Station fencing should I have for Pen Y Bont in the 60's, white or cream?

I not sure if this is any help - my BR photos thread is mainly in black & white, so no use for differentiating between cream or white, just dark - presumably brown (or maybe black in the case of iron railings ????) and light - cream or white.  While Bala fencing was dark (i.e. brown as Larry says), Llanuwchllyn at the other end of Bala Lake was light (Post #49 Photo #4).

Also in the cases where fencing was a dark colour the gates and gate posts were a light colour (white ?) - see Bangor-on-Dee (Post #2 Photo #6), Fawley (Post #26 Photo #5), Llandrillo (Post #43 Photo #7), Trawsfynydd (Post #86 Photo #4), Llan Ffestiniog (Post #87 Photo #2) and Blaenau Ffestiniog Central (Post #90 Photo #7)

Looking good! Are you going to keep the existing track inside the goods shed?

Paul

Good point. There is no reason to now you mention it and it would make life a whole lot simpler if it was removed. As good as dun!  

You will note the cattle dock is in the new yard, which means the original one can be scrapped. The end loading dock will remain but as such things were rarely used after the war, the siding will be used for storing this and that.

• Like 2

Good point. There is no reason to now you mention it and it would make life a whole lot simpler if it was removed. As good as dun!  

You will note the cattle dock is in the new yard, which means the original one can be scrapped. The end loading dock will remain but as such things were rarely used after the war, the siding will be used for storing this and that.

Now that's something I didn't know Larry, I was planning mine this morning, but may now do away with it.

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Steve. Do you happen to know which locomotive is out this week? Tuesday is a no-no for me (it's gonna rain anyway), but I fancy a day there soon provided one of the GWR locos is in steam.

3802 was running at the weekend, don't know what's out during the week.

Graham