CARROG in 4mm & Ruabon discussion...

coachmann

I'd be tempted to lift the pens and move them back, allowing the swerving siding to be straight, up to the end of the goods shed.

The buildings are replicas of Shipley-on-Stour, so I decided to copy it as far as possible hence the sharply curving siding.  Personally I think it is full of character, possibly because no modeller would design such a track plan.

The buildings are replicas of Shipley-on-Stour, so I decided to copy it as far as possible hence the sharply curving siding.  Personally I think it is full of character, possibly because no modeller would design such a track plan.

Personally i think youve created a station full of character. Those who dont compromise are those who plan the ultimute layout without building anything. If you are happy, enjoy what you are creating

In short, a wonderful depiction of a welsh secondary route.

• Like 1

There is another reason for not moving the pens!  Shipston represents one of the oldest branch line termini in the country and its layout does make a lot of sense, serving a small country town with a range of goods services including cattle, sheep, horses, lumber, coal and general goods.  There was also an end loading dock.  The country's "smallest" gas works was also located next to the yard and coal was offloaded over the gas works yard wall from wagons in the coal siding.  In the reconstruction below the coal siding ran along the wall to the right.

post-20733-0-27469300-1525204420_thumb.jpg

The gas works managers house still stands but everything else is long gone.

post-20733-0-46556200-1525204575.jpg

Yes, I know Carrog never had a gas works!

Paul

• Like 3

Hello Larry, we had a little meet up at Carrog today, a shame you couldn’t make it, it was lovely and sunny when we arrived at 11.40’ish, but wind and rain by our 6pm’ish departure ..... Andy P said it always rain in North Wales, but he is wrong, it held off for 8 hrs !!

Best regards

Craig

If I provided this link before I apologize, but it shows the goods shed, cattle pens and weigh bridge as modelled in their Shipston setting:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/1581/entry-16070-status-report-before-a-hiatus/

Access to the goods yard was by gates at the end of the yard.  The space between coal siding and the goods shed was actually wider than modelled.  There was no room to model the gas works.  Sadly.

Paul

• Like 1

Personally i think youve created a station full of character. Those who dont compromise are those who plan the ultimute layout without building anything. If you are happy, enjoy what you are creating

In short, a wonderful depiction of a welsh secondary route.

Thanks for those kind words. There may be a lot going for no planning whatsoever seeing as I usually arrive at where I am by sheer luck ha ha. 

• Like 1

Ignore this by all means, but something is telling me the cattle dock and the provender store may look better if swapped places.

As I have said, the yard is based on a real one (Shipston-on-Stour), but the farmers provender store is something I added. In real life, later additions such as this would be located on a convenient siding.

As I have said, the yard is based on a real one (Shipston-on-Stour), but the farmers provender store is something I added. In real life, later additions such as this would be located on a convenient siding.

Hence the poor vehicular access.

I ended up gluing a Kaydee magnet between the rails as part of the level crossing....

attachicon.gifWEB Carrog Road 3.jpg

Ignore the crazy telegraph pole by the bridge and damaged fencing. Everything will be replaced....

attachicon.gifWEB new yard 22.jpg

The concrete store was weathered and the doors repainted in GWR light stone to match the 'Shipston' buildings....

attachicon.gifWEB New yard 24.jpg

The 14XX is straight out of the box and is awaiting a sound decoder....

attachicon.gifWEB new yard 23.jpg

That is an aesthetically pleasing station.

Just looking at it I want to play with it!!

As for vehicular access, you would be backing tractors and trailers up to the door, possibly a horse and cart, even in your period.

Speaking as somebody who has driven and backed both, including the dreaded drawbar trailer! umpteen times. Truthfully three times in the case of the horse and cart! There would be no problem.

I can't imagine the amount of traffic using the crossing causing vast amounts of conflict.

Lord and Lady!!, I've been sucked in to one of those 'RMWeb Model Conversations!'

Indeed, I've not been sucked in, I've created it!

As well as getting my coat,again!! I think I need strong coffee. I've had the morning tea and I'm writing this drivel, so coffee I think!!

Mortified,

Chris.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

I think the provender store looks just right, as a later addition. One could even imagine the track buffering up to it either continued, or was planned to but didn't, join up the siding that goes round it to provide a run round loop. My only query is whether the height of the door of the provender store presumably intended for vehicular access is a bit high for a lorry to back up to, or did they load/unload differently?

I think the provender store looks just right, as a later addition. One could even imagine the track buffering up to it either continued, or was planned to but didn't, join up the siding that goes round it to provide a run round loop. My only query is whether the height of the door of the provender store presumably intended for vehicular access is a bit high for a lorry to back up to, or did they load/unload differently?

Fair point. Having worked on BR vans in 1959,  I can see that whatever is being loaded could be thrown into the van without lowering the tailgate... :mosking:   I could saw a bit off the legs, but I'll wait to see how a horse drawn trailer stands... (photographed yesterday : It has been cold, dull & wet here today).

post-6680-0-87954200-1525356622_thumb.jpg

EDIT: Having looked at a prototype, the legs do look to be too long. So I sawed 4mm of all seventeen of them.....

post-6680-0-53031800-1525367288_thumb.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 17

Larry,

IMO this image is magnificent, I've seen nothing that in one shot captures the pure essence of a modeled setting as does this vignette. "A brief but powerful scene"

Thanks Colin, your post is much appreciated. From now on its all detail work, but today will start with adding the electrical feeds so I can see something running.  

• Like 2

A good friend of Mary and I is visiting us next month and I know he will appreciate easier access to the railway. PGH and I made a start this afternoon on strengthening the parts that need strengthening to support a flap. Before....

post-6680-0-65276100-1525549653.jpg

.....and work in progress....

post-6680-0-68058300-1525549654.jpg

• Like 16

'Grange' backing out of the coal road at Carrog road Goods. For those interested, the decoder is YouChoos 'GWR 28XX' . I  was giving it a test....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nml0tS7guNw

Nice!!! Very Nice!!!

I love the way you let the engine 'Take its time' over the siding.

Speaking from the perspective of driving a narrow gauge engine, what I mean is, get an easy regulator setting to carry the beast over the track.

It sounds just like that.

the effect as you 'Went for it' once outside the station confines, fantastic!!

Chris.

• Like 3