CARROG in 4mm & Ruabon discussion...

coachmann

• RMweb Premium

3802 was running at the weekend, don't know what's out during the week.

Graham

Further to previos post:

Next steam is not scheduled to be until the weekend. DMU during the week.

You may find this link useful, but it was wrong last weekend as 3802 was out as mentioned above.

http://www.llangollen-railway.org.uk/locoroster.html

Graham

That's put me right off Steve me 'ol matey. Think I'll model Cleggheaton Drainhole Low Level on the L&Y now...

You are halfway there, Larry, those beautiful L&Y locos you have posted already!!!

Have you worked your magic on any L&Y coaching stock?

I do like the new layout. The goods yard adds a total new perspective. 

Chris.

Looks a little moist Steve. :no:  :no:  :no:

Well Wales wouldn't be Wales without it, the Ffestiniog in August on my visit was very cold and drizzly and it looks like it was also the case for the BRM team on their visit. That said, when I visited Carrog it was a gorgeous day....

• Like 2

Is that a BRC&W unit?

Nice!!

Sorry if that is heresy, but I'm afraid I have a thing about DMUs!!

Chris.

Tis’ a BRCW unit, later known as a 104 in TOPS, I used to love riding them, mainly catching them from Bolton Trinity Street to exotic coastal places such as Southport or Blackpool North ..... and the white striped version went over 90mph ... well that’s my Grandad told me, and he would never ever fib to me on a day out on the trains.

Craig

• Like 4

Tis’ a BRCW unit, later known as a 104 in TOPS, I used to love riding them, mainly catching them from Bolton Trinity Street to exotic coastal places such as Southport or Blackpool North ..... and the white striped version went over 90mph ... well that’s my Grandad told me, and he would never ever fib to me on a day out on the trains.

Craig

Man after my own heart!!

Having no car, Me and my Dad went all over the north of England on DMUs to model railway exhibitions in the 60s and 70s.

The Cravens journey over the tops to Blackburn stands out!

The gantry box at Entwhistle comes to mind!!

Of course, the Rolls Royce was the Swindon Trans Pennine unit!

I am of an age to have had English fry up prepared on a griddle in the buffet car of one of these units!!

The white stripe 104s!! Something I must model at some time!!

Chris.

• Like 2

Okay no more chit chat of bogcart or Larry will have us chucked off this kettle only thread.

Craig

Tis what happens when I go quiet for a couple of days ho ho.  Track, glue, ballast and ash are waiting for good weather, but I gave the Provender store a GWR makeover while stuck indoors. Getting everything into the new yard is a headache but at least two of us arrived at the same conclusion....That the "Shipston" yard entrance will have to be off-stage. The placement of buildings will give the yard foreman plenty to think about what with farmers provisions, general merchandise, occasional cattle and of course coal. The old yard will be used for timber and roadstone vehicles or for parking rolling stock.

I am very pleased with the YouChoos re-blows and particularly with the fastest turnaround known to man! The Dean Goods has lost its 56XX sound (and L&Y whistle) in favour of the 28XX sound, which suits it well and gives a deep woof when needed. The 38XX has 'Hall' sound now. A 4F off Paul Ashton is being fitted with Fowler 2-6-4T sound while a 'Crab' is to get 'Crab' sound once again. All very personal choices and no reflection on the sound producer.

• Like 2

Looks a little moist Steve. :no:  :no:  :no:

Well here are a couple of shots on a slightly better day -  'Steel Steam & Stars IV' on 6 March 2015 ...

post-18105-0-63002800-1524603176.jpgpost-18105-0-36542000-1524603177.jpg

Steve N

Edited by steveNCB7754
  • Like 18

The first photo was taken 15 months ago to help plot out a possible goods yard. I could see there wasn't much excavation required in order for it to be at the same level as the railway track in the station. This would leave a piled embankment to support the road. An access road to the yard runs parallel with the road (supposedly, but it will be off stage)...

post-6680-0-39909500-1524696143_thumb.jpg

The embankment on which the path stands will be supported on its right by a stone wall in order to maximize land in the goods yard. The grey area represents the extent of the new yard, so I hope this helps you visualize things.  Today has at last seen some progress, but no photos....

post-6680-0-03333400-1524693934.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 17

Bloomin eck Larry, that looks really good, and having different Yards in different areas will enhance the Shunting and moves, the ground work looks very neat.

I've just realised as I typed this that I have the same situation, with the Dairy and odd siding one side of the Line and the Coal Yard and Loading Dock / Goods Yard is on the other side.

Keep the pics coming whist the sun's shining Larry.

Edited by Andrew P

Track has been cut and joined and a 'Grange' was sent down all the roads to check for clearances. Nevertheless, I am hesitant about committing it all to PVA until I am 100% sure things are right. 

attachicon.gifWEB New yard 7.jpg

attachicon.gifWEB New Yard 7B.jpg

Hi Larry, I hope you don't mind me saying, but the last Point, with the swinging back around to the Cattle Dock and Shed looks awkward to me, it looks like there could be some Buffer locking with the revers curve.

EDIT = To say I've just re looked at the prototype and it's spot on, so ignore me. :no:

Edited by Andrew P

I welcome any constructive input Andy so thanks. I have replaced the straight point with one I permanently curved last week. It gives a sweep to the yard now. The sharp siding is now larger at 6' 3" radius.  Sprayed Sleeper Grime ready for tomorrow's laying session, the track has since been split into three convenient sections with one being laid and ballasted (and ashed) at a time....

post-6680-0-78563300-1524779289_thumb.jpg

PS :-  I forgot to mention the rough-cut pieces of cork are shaped, shamferred and merged into the ground with an electric sander prior to gluing & ballasting.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 18