CARROG in 4mm & Ruabon discussion...

coachmann

The photos of Carrog recently posted by Steve Fay and Steve Naylor are excellent given the circumstances (i.e. weather) and well worth posting on this thread.  However they did leave me feeling a little depressed - we do have the occasional bright sunny day here in North Wales like this -

attachicon.gifLlangollen 030B.jpg

This was back in 2015 and believe it or not we've had a few similar bright sunny days since !

I'll be passing through tomorrow, so I hope it's just as nice and sunny.

I'll be passing through tomorrow, so I hope it's just as nice and sunny.

I hope the weather is kind to you tomorrow Andy cos if it is, it'll be good enough to work on the layout hereabouts. We are due for a trip over the hill to GWR country to pick up a new golf hat.

• Like 2

Oops - No it was worse than that, it was actually taken in 2005.  City of Truro was there again for the Gala in 2009 together with this lot -

Thanks for posting Philip. Smashing photos. It was the sight of Morayshire at Carrog that sent me dashing home to buy a Railroad jobbie and build & paint this. The LR have had some splendid gala's over the years....

post-6680-0-80441200-1524902899_thumb.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Oops - No it was worse than that, it was actually taken in 2005.  City of Truro was there again for the Gala in 2009 together with this lot -

Modeller should be shot!  Dreadful mix of regions and periods there .......

attachicon.gifLlangollen 163B.jpg

Fancy a bit of narrow gauge at Carrog Road Larry ? (Silly question, I know the answer to that !)

Actually, it's a little known fact that there are seams of very poor quality 'Jam Butty' in the hills near Carrog, and some of these seams were drift-mined during the 19th century. Sadly, this was only transported via pack horse back then, but if you pretended that the quality was more akin to that nearer to Knotty Ash, then a small narrow gauge line into Carrog could be justified.

[Geology Notes: The Carrog 'Butty' seams were relatively late deposits, laid down in the late Cretinous Period (c50 – 100 Million Years B.K. [ Before Ken]). Friable and coarse-grained, they are unsuitable for use directly as Jam Butty, however, if compressed into briquettes, these have numerous uses such as in the construction field, or for the manufacture of mourning jewelry. The material keeps well for long periods of time and in extremis, can be eaten if soaked in a mug of piping hot tea (usually for around 3 hours). Whilst this characteristic may be an asset, it is no substitute for Kendal Mint Cake, since it has neither the taste, texture or (indeed) the nutritional value of that product.]

Apologies, I obviously have too much spare time on my hands this morning (LOL).   ;)

Steve N

• Like 1

Like the way this is shaping up Larry all seems to fit together well and very believable ......I'll be expecting to see and the new goods yard in real life next time I go towards the A5 later today  :jester:   if it's like most preserved railways it will soon get filled with rotting rolling stock awaiting restoration  :triniti:

• Like 2

Like the way this is shaping up Larry all seems to fit together well and very believable ......I'll be expecting to see and the new goods yard in real life next time I go towards the A5 later today  :jester:  

Thanks. Maybe it was just as cold when I was young, but when yer working you don't notice the weather!  Anyway, my days of working outdoors in a cold shed are definitely in the past, so Carrog Road Goods will not proceed any further for the moment.  

Looks excellent! Sorry if I've missed it, the set of points leading to the goods shed, are they the new Peco ones or kitbuilt?

All the points bar one are new Peco bullhead, bent to suit the flow of the track. 

TRACK LAYING RECAP:-

During the initial planning, I use yard lengths of old Peco Streamline to plot out the various sidings etc. Then I **curve some points to the same radius and apply Loctite to almost all the chairs while the point it pinned down to a length of timber. After all the track has been cut to length and joined together with the usual rail joiners, I use Peco track pins to ensure plain track maintains a particular curve before spraying the lot with Railmatch 'Sleeper Grime' (switch blades are masked off beforehand of course). When the track is thoroughly dry, it maintains it's curve because the paint had penetrated the chairs. It is then lifted and split into convenient sections for gluing and ballasting afterwards. The spray also leaves an impression on the baseboard, which helps with locating the track after the PVA glue has been applied.

** Prior to curving a point, some of the plastic webbing is removed.

PS: In case anyone is unaware, these bullhead points carry current to tracks both sides of the frog so that all tracks are 'live' no matter which way the point is set. This suits me fine because it means my sound-fitted locos are always simmering. When I used to use Electrofrog points, I had to isolate sidings from the frog and then put in extra track feeds if I wanted sidings to be continuously 'live'. Without these feeds, locos would go quiet when the point was switched against the track they were sat on. Oh dear, I hope I am not accused of teaching gran to suck eggs here....  :biggrin_mini2:

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 2

I do find the Peco instructions a bit confusing, possibly because they expect you to use their point motors and microswitches, etc.

Last evening I struggled to understand the wiring of their Gauge O double slip and then realized that they had omitted the all important track feeds on the diagram.

Paul

Edited by Focalplane

I do find the Peco instructions a bit confusing, possibly because they expect you to use their point motors and microswitches, etc.

Last evening I struggled to understand the wiring of their Gauge O double slip and then realized that they had omitted the all important track feeds on the diagram.

I admit to taking the easy route and using Insulfrog double slips in '00' while taking a lot of trouble to get them laid perfectly flat. When I went DCC, the capacitors ensured a no-stall situation. I routinely avoid wiring as far as is possible and have stopped using point motors and changeover switches.  The spaghetti I removed before relaying the points at Carrog Road ensured I never took that road again!

• Like 1

All the points bar one are new Peco bullhead, bent to suit the flow of the track. 

TRACK LAYING RECAP:-

During the initial planning, I use yard lengths of old Peco Streamline to plot out the various sidings etc. Then I **curve some points to the same radius and apply Loctite to almost all the chairs while the point it pinned down to a length of timber. After all the track has been cut to length and joined together with the usual rail joiners, I use Peco track pins to ensure plain track maintains a particular curve before spraying the lot with Railmatch 'Sleeper Grime' (switch blades are masked off beforehand of course). When the track is thoroughly dry, it maintains it's curve because the paint had penetrated the chairs. It is then lifted and split into convenient sections for gluing and ballasting afterwards. The spray also leaves an impression on the baseboard, which helps with locating the track after the PVA glue has been applied.

** Prior to curving a point, some of the plastic webbing is removed.

PS: In case anyone is unaware, these bullhead points carry current to tracks both sides of the frog so that all tracks are 'live' no matter which way the point is set. This suits me fine because it means my sound-fitted locos are always simmering. When I used to use Electrofrog points, I had to isolate sidings from the frog and then put in extra track feeds if I wanted sidings to be continuously 'live'. Without these feeds, locos would go quiet when the point was switched against the track they were sat on. Oh dear, I hope I am not accused of teaching gran to suck eggs here....  :biggrin_mini2:

Hi again,

Great to see your progress on the new goods yard, the buildings work really well and the arrangement is visually well balanced.

Not sure if this is of any interest, but I remember from a previous post that you were proposing wire in tube operation.  I have done something similar on the current layout, in areas where access is limited underneath.  In order to switch the polarity of the crossing vee, without any extra switches, I have used a miniature DPDT switch (Maplins) drilled to take the actuating wire to the tie bar.  Hopefully the photos show the arrangement.  

post-29969-0-56074300-1525168688_thumb.jpg

post-29969-0-36272300-1525168703_thumb.jpg

post-29969-0-43605900-1525168719_thumb.jpg

Regards

Malcolm

• Like 8

My first soldered track layout used wire in tube switches and I liked the result. I just happen to have some Tortoises so wiring is the name of my game at the moment. I may use a manual system in the fiddle yards though.

The new goods yard plan makes good sense, Shipston had lots of room for vehicular access though photos rarely show any vehicles in the yard!

Paul

I feel that changes are afoot in the yard as it does not feel natural the way it is at the moment. Please prove me wrong by not altering the layout of but I feel changes are afoot !

I feel that changes are afoot in the yard as it does not feel natural the way it is at the moment. Please prove me wrong by not altering the layout of but I feel changes are afoot !

You might be right. I was reducing the number of photos in my post and deleted it by accident...Oh dear...

Now I could be Nostradamus and pretend that I can foresee the future.  :sungum: 

No spoilers from me though.

Jason