CARROG in 4mm & Ruabon discussion...

coachmann

PGH......who is normally behind the camera, and 'coach' surveying our (er...mostly Phil's) Bank Holiday handiwork...

attachicon.gifWEB Flap 3.jpg

and the bloke on the left is thinking - I hope he isn't going to post that photo on his thread   :nono:

Which bloke.......?

attachicon.gifWEB Flap 10.jpg

Well two can play at that game !  

post-14569-0-17333700-1525700262.jpg

Just to clarify a couple of points from the  photos in Post #2144 - despite the impression given in the 4th photo, the plungers do actually line up with the contact plates.  When the flap is closed they make a slight wiping contact so that power transmission to the rails on the flap should be reliable.  The sprung plungers were salvaged from an old bayonet bulb holder -

post-14569-0-06958600-1525700276.jpg

they even have a handy screw in the bottom for attaching the wire, and are set firmly in a hardwood frame.

The hinge at the open end of the flap is a solid brass one, and these should be very tightly fitting - more so than the usual rolled variety.  The pin was driven out, with some difficulty, and the diameter reduced slightly so it was still firm but capable of being removed easily once the hinge was in position, and it was then replace in the hinge.  With the flap down in its required position the hinge was then fixed to the underside of the flap and the support, the pin removed and discarded.  The flap is now located exactly at the open end every time its lifted and lowered.

• Like 5

The Hinge end worries me, is the hinge high enough to give lift and clear the Rails?

Yes Andy, we packed it up slightly above the felt with plastikard.  As long as the centre of the hinge pin is above the top of the rail it should be OK.

Edited by PGH
  • Like 1

He said I could have used the stations original name....Llansantffraid Glyn Dyfrdwy.

Granted this is just me, but I think that would be a perfect name for the layout.....with your own variation/twist on the real place.

• Like 1

Drove over to Carrog for a fix of GWR steam this afternoon, so I ignored the BR 2-6-4T as you do!  Wotta scorcher. I told chap that lives at the station I had built a yard in the adjacent field and renamed the place Carrog Road. He said I could have used the stations original name....Llansantffraid Glyn Dyfrdwy.  Mmmm. 3802 arriving at Glyndyfrdwy....

attachicon.gifWEB 38XX 1.jpg

Stopping at Carrog for those who needed a nice cuppa....

attachicon.gifWEB 38XX 2.jpg

Heading for Corwen East. And yes, these locos do clank even when well maintained....

attachicon.gifWEB 38XX 3.jpg

Very jealous Larry, stunning pics though. 

Drove over to Carrog for a fix of GWR steam this afternoon, so I ignored the BR 2-6-4T as you do!  Wotta scorcher. I told chap that lives at the station I had built a yard in the adjacent field and renamed the place Carrog Road. He said I could have used the stations original name....Llansantffraid Glyn Dyfrdwy.  Mmmm. 3802 arriving at Glyndyfrdwy....

attachicon.gifWEB 38XX 1.jpg

Stopping at Carrog for those who needed a nice cuppa....

attachicon.gifWEB 38XX 2.jpg

Heading for Corwen East. And yes, these locos do clank even when well maintained....

attachicon.gifWEB 38XX 3.jpg

Granted this is just me, but I think that would be a perfect name for the layout.....with your own variation/twist on the real place.

I couldn't even begin to pronounce it. :no:  :scared:

Edited by Andrew P

Imagine Llansantffraid Glyn Dyfrdwy on the destination boards at Paddington......"Where the fkc is that porter?"  "The station after Glynyfrdwy."  "Frollocks..."  

Edited by coachmann

Llansantffraid Glyn Dyfrdwy .... I like it Larry, it’s a lot of Slaters letters though in the name boards ;-)

Best regards

Craig

3 x A

3 X L

3 X F

3 X N

2 X Y

2 X R

hahha :no:

Edited by Andrew P

You'd still be a long way off Llanfair P G!  To think I used to be able to say that in full when a lot younger!

Paul

Paul it’s easy .... as the locals say .... Llanfair Pee Gee .... there told you it was easy ;-)

Best regards

Craig

I understand that Glyndyfrydwy is one of the only (if not the only) places in Britain whose name contains no vowels.

You mean no English vowels ? ;-) why would it ? it’s a Welsh name place, and there are 2 Welsh vowels W & Y ;-)

Best regards

Craig

Edited by muddys-blues
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I understand that Glyndyfrydwy is one of the only (if not the only) places in Britain whose name contains no vowels.

No, sorry, the y is acting as a vowel and there's a few more Welsh ones: Tywyn is the first one I thought of, then there's Llwyngwril which my Cambrian Lines book points out also has the letters GWR in it :)

Must say I am impressed as ever with the speed of progress Larry. One question, when you chamfered the track bed through the platform area, is each line done separately? I believe the practice is to do this so that the 'outer' track is not significantly higher, but I can't figure out how this would be done where pointwork or crossovers are involved.

• Like 1

Here's a weathering shot for the BR 2-6-4T at Carrog...

attachicon.gifWEB BR class 4 tank 2.jpg

Nice!!

The Standard 4 twins, 75000 and 80000. 

The number of times I've heard 'Enthusiasts' 'Call them' when they are in steam on a preserved line!!

Damn good pieces of kit! Damn useful and aesthetically pleasing!

I appreciate you want the sexy stuff on preserved lines, but these ladies are efficient, reasonably economical and can cope with a decent train.

My favourites, the black double chimnied 4MT on the Worth Valley, 'cos it is in black!! 80002 also on the K&WVR. Primarily 'cos I was hauled for a day by her when she first came back into steam in the '70s.

Lord and Lady!!! I'm going off on one on RMWeb again!!

I'm 'Getting My Coat' as I write this!!!

Chris.

• RMweb Premium

No, sorry, the y is acting as a vowel and there's a few more Welsh ones: Tywyn is the first one I thought of, then there's Llwyngwril which my Cambrian Lines book points out also has the letters GWR in it :)

Must say I am impressed as ever with the speed of progress Larry. One question, when you chamfered the track bed through the platform area, is each line done separately? I believe the practice is to do this so that the 'outer' track is not significantly higher, but I can't figure out how this would be done where pointwork or crossovers are involved.

When I did track on a can't, I used 1mm card strips under the high side rail and then laid the cork. For the crossover I increased the thickness to 2mm under the outside rail this was tapered over 200mm either side of the turnouts, both turnouts were built on 1 piece of cork over the double trackbed.

Never had any problems with derailment once a couple of tweaks were made to the switches.

We left Abergele in sun this afternoon for Harlech golf Club 44 miles away. Hit the usual low cloud and pouring rain at Blaenau Ffestiniog right down the other side, then rain onward to Harlech. Bought three golf hats (to protect me from the sun!!!) then spotted lights flashing at Harlech Station and so I couldn't resist a shot on the Cambrian.....

post-6680-0-46727600-1525802212_thumb.jpg

All this lousy Cambrian coast weather reminded me of recent comment that it always rains in Wales. It does if you holiday in the wrong parts.  The sun was still waiting for us on our return home!

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 15