CARROG in 4mm & Ruabon discussion...

coachmann

Steve Naylors magnificent 4mm replicas of buildings at Shipston-On-Stour station (GWR) arrived today from fellow member Paul Ashton, for which I am eternally grateful. I will do my best to do them justice....

post-6680-0-23356500-1524079296.jpg

View through the doorway....

post-6680-0-04992600-1524079294.jpg

Weightbridge. All the buildings are constructed on a plywood base. Each will have to be sunk into the baseboard....

post-6680-0-57327700-1524079297.jpg

A triangular baseboard will be added to the side of the station some 6' X 2' wide narrowing to a point. Further thoughts on yard access will mean an entrance off the lane that runs over the station, a level crossing by the signalbox proving to be out of the question. 

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 12

Very nice Larry, although I knew it would be. Superb.

Derek

Thanks Derek. From a guy who really knows how to model the real thing in miniature, I appreciate your comments. The goods yard buildings from Shipston give me a real leap forward and so I am approaching the building of the yard as a layout in its own right. The track layout will be replicated too as far as possible.

• Like 2

Now that Larry has ‘spoken’, let me add that several years ago I decided to build a 4mm scale model of Shipston. Steve Naylor, a native of Shipston, contacted me and said that his buildings needed a home. So I drove down to Dorset and collected them and started to build an accurate model that would do justice to his excellent models.

Alas my aching fingers let me down and I switched to 7mm scale and have benefitted from the switch in scale. But the buildings remained in my care until I realized that they were not going to be seen by anyone. Steve, Larry and I cooked up this idea to let Larry do his thing at Carrog because I can think of no better way to help both to realize their dreams. Steve builds excellent models with painstaking accuracy. His Shipston prototype is now a housing estate and his models were carefully scaled from the actual buildings before they were demolished. The goods shed is as good as it gets.

My modelling efforts are chronicled in a blog on RMWeb, just search for Shipston. The baseboards went to the tip last week but the soldered track remains in storage.

I am now 100% committed to 7mm scale and my Penmaenpool layout but like many others I watch Larry’s efforts with admiration for his dedication, speed and inspiration to others.

I don’t know if Steve is interested in commissions but his work is highly recommended!

Paul

• Like 6

Steve Naylors magnificent 4mm replicas of buildings at Shipston-On-Stour station (GWR) arrived today from fellow member Paul Ashton, for which I am eternally grateful. I will do my best to do them justice....

attachicon.gifWEB Steve Naylors shed 3.jpg

View through the doorway....

attachicon.gifWEB Steve Naylors shed 2.jpg

Weightbridge. All the buildings are constructed on a plywood base. Each will have to be sunk into the baseboard....

attachicon.gifWEB Steve Naylors weightbridge 2.jpg

A triangular baseboard will be added to the side of the station some 6' X 2' wide narrowing to a point. Further thoughts on yard access will mean an entrance off the lane that runs over the station, a level crossing by the signalbox proving to be out of the question. 

Hi Larry,

Thanks for your compliments -  now I am blushing.

As you have no doubt seen, there is also a scale weigh machine inside the weighbridge building and a hole in the base of the building to allow an LED or similar bulb to be inserted from below to illuminate the inside.  Incidentally, the weighbridge office is now the only original building still extant on site, as it was used as the yard office of the local coalman (Mr Compton), who eventually had a bungalow built in that corner of the Goods Yard and it remained within the curtilage of that property to the present day.

Steve N

• Like 5

Larry, your a very lucky man, SUPERB.

Don't I know it. Due to Paul's generosity, I am also the recipient of a Hughes Fowler 'Crab', several wagons, semaphore, electric street lamps and more. I really missed my old 'Crab' and the YouChoos 'Crab' sound, nut now I can go for it again.

• Like 6

Hi Larry,

Thanks for your compliments -  now I am blushing.

As you have no doubt seen, there is also a scale weigh machine inside the weighbridge building and a hole in the base of the building to allow an LED or similar bulb to be inserted from below to illuminate the inside.  Incidentally, the weighbridge office is now the only original building still extant on site, as it was used as the yard office of the local coalman (Mr Compton), who eventually had a bungalow built in that corner of the Goods Yard and it remained within the curtilage of that property to the present day.

Steve N

Thank you very much Steve.  I hadn't realised the weighbridge had an interior. It would be worth illuminating. I see you are interested in NCB workings the same as my good friend and near-neighbor PGH of this forum.

... I see you are interested in NCB workings the same as my good friend and near-neighbor PGH of this forum.

Yes.  His posting of many excellent photographs has been an inspiration along the way.  Due to personal circumstances, my own modelling has been put on hold for the moment, but it is great to watch you guys making such great progress with your layouts.

Was it common to have an unpenned area for loading horses?

Hi Brassey,

My understanding, is that these would be the horses of passengers arriving to take the train (in the early days) to places further afield and so would be led up the ramp and into waiting horse box wagon(s) (perhaps to Dia, N1?) when the time came.  This same ramp would also be used to load the passenger's associated horse-drawn vehicle (trap, gig, etc.) if they had one, onto a suitable 'brown vehicle' carriage truck -  probably a single-plank open wagon and from the side, as I think the closed versions were end-loaded (but I could be wrong on that point).  BTW, the end-loading dock at Shipston (near the entrance to the station yard, at the end of the engine run-round loop) was only added during the First World War for the loading of materials and equipment.

Presumably, even after passenger services stopped on the Shipston branch (8 July 1929), those who could afford to do so could still send horses by the remaining goods service, even if they themselves traveled by other means (whilst their grooms traveled with the horse(s) in the vestibule provided in the horse box wagon).

HTH

Steve N

• RMweb Gold

I’m confused, I’ve stupidly missed a few pages and am now completely befuddled!

I’m sure it was O gauge and called carrog road a month ago?

Are we back to OO gauge again and in carrog

Confused of crewe

Hi Brassey,

My understanding, is that these would be the horses of passengers arriving to take the train (in the early days) to places further afield and so would be led up the ramp and into waiting horse box wagon(s) (perhaps to Dia, N1?) when the time came.  This same ramp would also be used to load the passenger's associated horse-drawn vehicle (trap, gig, etc.) if they had one, onto a suitable 'brown vehicle' carriage truck -  probably a single-plank open wagon and from the side, as I think the closed versions were end-loaded (but I could be wrong on that point).  BTW, the end-loading dock at Shipston (near the entrance to the station yard, at the end of the engine run-round loop) was only added during the First World War for the loading of materials and equipment.

Presumably, even after passenger services stopped on the Shipston branch (8 July 1929), those who could afford to do so could still send horses by the remaining goods service, even if they themselves traveled by other means (whilst their grooms traveled with the horse(s) in the vestibule provided in the horse box wagon).

HTH

Steve N

Hi Steve

What's behind my question is that, on the small station I am building, the relatively large loading dock had no pens at all.  I have assumed that it was built exclusively for loading of horses and carriages for the local estate.  A recent discussion on the S4Society forum did not come up with any conclusion but I am glad you have helped with the answer.

Maybe no cattle on a regular basis at my station.

Thanks

Peter

Although in South Warwickshire, Shipston on Stour is very close to the Cotswolds. The animal traffic included both cattle and sheep. In fact “Shipston” was originally “Sheeps Town”. In this respect the cattle dock now waiting to be placed at Carrog Arms would be appropriate with cattle from the Dee Valley and sheep from the nearby hills. And the horses might be associated with either the wealthier farmers or land owners.

Paul

• Like 2

I’m confused, I’ve stupidly missed a few pages and am now completely befuddled!  I’m sure it was O gauge and called carrog road a month ago?  Are we back to OO gauge again and in carrog

Confused of crewe

Confusion Rules, but do not worry.  Carrog Road it remains because the new goods yard will be Carrog Road Goods seeing as its entrance will be off the road that passes over the station to Carrog village. 

Regarding the loading of livestock, it was pretty basic at some stations. For example, at Drws-Y-Nant, sheep were loaded into cattle trucks from the passenger platform. 

I always let the prototype guide me Andy. For instance, I would normally have used a trailing point and a headshunt in order to gain access to the down yard. However, the GWR was happy for its Down trains to pass over facing points when using the up platform for much of the winter, so I figured it would be fine to use facing points into the Down Goods Yard if I made the down loop bi-directional. Similarly, the GWR allowed the running line to be used as a headshunt under the watchful eye of the signalman, so i have continued to use this facility for the new yard.  Last year, I laid a separate headshunt parallel with the embankment and the station lost lost its rural look as a result. So I know it won't work.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 6

I found time to do a spot of pottering in the trainshed this afternoon. The sound in a GWR 38XX was transferred to one of the latest Grange class locos, both with small Churchward Tenders. The Tenders were simply swapped over and after testing, I re-sprayed the weathered 38XX Tender chassis plain black and the plain black one to weathered condition then swapped bodies. Seemples. The sound never seemed right in the 2-8-0 despite being marketted for the 28XX, but it definitely suits the larger wheeled 4-6-0.

Did you find a project to your liking for the 38xx? Just starting trying few locos with DCC sound...

All the best

Jon

Did you find a project to your liking for the 38xx? Just starting trying few locos with DCC sound...

All the best

Jon

I have decided to put the YouChoos 'Hall'' sound in the 28XX, as it has a little more oomph. If it is hard-wired, I just might get a Zimo twin speaker in as well to give it more bass.

Edited by coachmann

I usually use SMP track for the goods yards because of its thin sleepers, but what actually arrived could only be described as a boxload of corrugated track. It will not straighten neither. Annoyed doesn't begin to cover it....

post-6680-0-47365500-1524149458_thumb.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1