CARROG in 4mm & Ruabon discussion...

coachmann

We left Abergele in sun this afternoon for Harlech golf Club 44 miles away. Hit the usual low cloud and pouring rain at Blaenau Ffestiniog right down the other side, then rain onward to Harlech. Bought three golf hats (to protect me from the sun!!!) then spotted lights flashing at Harlech Station and so I couldn't resist a shot on the Cambrian.....

attachicon.gifWEB Harlech rail.jpg

All this lousy Cambrian coast weather reminded me of recent comment that it always rains in Wales. It does if you holiday in the wrong parts.  The sun was still waiting for us on our return home!

There might be some people on this site who remember No6 Festival 2016!!!

That truly was Welsh weather at its most vindictive!!!

C.

There might be some people on this site who remember No6 Festival 2016!!!

That truly was Welsh weather at its most vindictive!!!

C.

I don't remember it but I have certainly heard enough about it!  Last year the parking was located half way to Caernafon.  We left Porthmadog the day before the festival started, just in case!

To be honest (or as honest as an amateur meteorologist could be) it is said that the Porthmadog area has its own microclimate.  I believe there is some truth to this in that the forecasts never turn out to be correct.  But when it is good weather, then it really is!

Paul

To be honest (or as honest as an amateur meteorologist could be) it is said that the Porthmadog area has its own microclimate.  I believe there is some truth to this in that the forecasts never turn out to be correct.  But when it is good weather, then it really is!

Mary and I were discussing this on the way to Harlech. It was always hot and sunny when we visited the Cambrian Coast by train via Carnarvon in the early 1960's (we lived in Oldham at the time) and so we got the impression it was a great coast.

I don't remember it but I have certainly heard enough about it!  Last year the parking was located half way to Caernafon.  We left Porthmadog the day before the festival started, just in case!

Paul

I can believe that!!

The kicker was the car parks on a flood plain which flooded!!!!

Fortunately we got there early and avoided armageddon!!!

Love Portmerion, but it did colour wether I'd do the festival again!!

C.

Stopping at Carrog for those who needed a nice cuppa....

I wonder how long that will last once Corwen East is fully open. No need for the 20min stopover at Carrog for the loco run-around.

Hope the cafe doesn't take too much of a hit with reduced sales as its the one we always frequent utilising the free car park.

I wonder how long that will last once Corwen East is fully open. No need for the 20min stopover at Carrog for the loco run-around.

Hope the cafe doesn't take too much of a hit with reduced sales as its the one we always frequent utilising the free car park.

And I for one can recommend the CAKES :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:  :onthequiet: 

• Like 1

I sat on the platform at Glydyfrdwy on Monday and it was easy to imagine what it must have been like in steam days. The Up train came and went then the signalman opened the gates again some 10 minutes later for the down train. This is what Carrog will be like next year. Maybe the tearoom staff will relocate to Corwen? I come in via Green Lane and am looking forward to starting from Corwen.

The toilet in Corwen annoyed me though with access costing 6 shillings!  If I was earning  72 times what I earned when a pee was free and a crap cost an old penny, I'd be on £2,592.00 a week!  There was outrage when the new Birmingham New Street Station charged 30p, but a Mr.Sidebottom was looking into it. I kid you not.

Edited by coachmann

I sat on the platform at Glydyfrdwy on Monday and it was easy to imagine what it must have been like in steam days. The Up train came and went then the signalman opened the gates again some 10 minutes later for the down train. This is what Carrog will be like next year. Maybe the tearoom staff will relocate to Corwen? I come in via Green Lane and am looking forward to starting from Corwen.

The toilet in Corwen annoyed me though with access costing 6 shillings!  If I was earning  72 times what I earned when a pee was free and a crap cost an old penny, I'd be on £2,592.00 a week!  There was outrage when the new Birmingham New Street Station charged 30p, but a Mr.Sidebottom was looking into it. I kid you not.

It's 30p at Manchester Piccadilly and Liverpool Lime Street too but still free to pee at Manchester Oxford Road, Warrington, Chester and Crewe

And I for one can recommend the CAKES :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:  :onthequiet:

Best Vanilla slice I have ever eaten was in that cafe!

I'm from Manchester, we know about vanilla slices up here!!

C.

• Like 2

Re East Corwen and loss of trade at Carrog, yes, trade will go down if experience with the Broadway extension on the GWSR is a go by. But ridership there has risen and Toddington seemed to be just as busy on a sunny weekend afternoon.

Personally, if we were to take the train, coming from Porthmadog, we would probably drive to Carrog, park and take the train to Llangollen. Why? The cafe! Clearly there is a demand judging by the above comments.

Paul

A lovely picture opportunity presented itself yesterday as we climbed into Tanygrisiau, but of course I was driving. The fog we had driven through an hour before was now moving up the valley at a fast rate and the dual exhausts from a Blaenau bound Double-Fairlie looked positively volcanic as they mixed with the fog! No sooner had we cleared the town roundabout than we drove into bright sunlight and clear blue sky!  

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 4

Working indoors this morning where it is warm!  Suitable enamel signs were photographed and re-sized to suit the Farmers store and the lamp room....

post-6680-0-52577000-1525863013.jpg

The station building has yet to be bedded in. But I aim to photograph it at the real Carrog before then...

post-6680-0-04329300-1525863015.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Working indoors this morning where it is warm!  Suitable enamel signs were photographed and re-sized to suit the Farmers store and the lamp room....

attachicon.gifWEB posters 1.jpg

The station building has yet to be bedded in. But I aim to photograph it at the real Carrog before then...

attachicon.gifWEB posters 2.jpg

I'm guessing your layout is set too early for an Ifor Williams Trailers advert (est. 1958) ?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Best Vanilla slice I have ever eaten was in that cafe!

I'm from Manchester, we know about vanilla slices up here!!

C.

Wot!!!...........vanilla slices???.........snotty gobblets is wot we call 'em. after a mornings  fishing in the Mallacouta lakes, it was moor the boat and rush up to the bakery for a feast of their "snotties".........................Delish :angel:  :angel:

Rgds....Mike(fatso)

• Like 2

I'm guessing your layout is set too early for an Ifor Williams Trailers advert (est. 1958) ?

Don't their trailers feature a slight peak in the centre of the roof?  I moved to Wales to build for Abbeyford trailers and I think Ivor Williams Trailers was our main competitor in this part of the country. I could use a Williams poster if i had one.

• Like 1

A Dean Goods never offends in my book, the more the merrier!

Nice touch with the firebox area too.

Grahame

Don't their trailers feature a slight peak in the centre of the roof?  I moved to Wales to build for Abbeyford trailers and I think Ivor Williams Trailers was our main competitor in this part of the country. I could use a Williams poster if i had one.

Have a word with Martin / Gismorail, he delivers them sometimes.

Wot!!!...........vanilla slices???.........snotty gobblets is wot we call 'em. after a mornings  fishing in the Mallacouta lakes, it was moor the boat and rush up to the bakery for a feast of their "snotties".........................Delish :angel:  :angel:

Rgds....Mike(fatso)

Ya Beggar!!!!!

Snotties? I can see that catching on in Casa Pakes!!!

Chris.