CARROG in 4mm & Ruabon discussion...

coachmann

More baseboard was covered this afternoon with 'fields'.  A 33" x 50" sheet of Woodland Scenics vinyl grass was laid on the base board and marks were made with a Boro at intervals the same distance from the closest rail. The marks were joined up to form a continuous curve, which was then cut out with scissors....

post-6680-0-65618100-1494792082.jpg

All the edges of the grass were smeared with Evostik as were the edge of the cess and strategic places on the baseboard. Then the grass was secured along the edge of the cess and back towards the backscene boards. A heatgun then softened areas so that some contours could be formed with the hands.... Despite wearing the special glove, i managed to burn the back of my wrist and barely felt it, so beware....

post-6680-0-05702000-1494792084.jpg

An ash cess has yet to be laid alongside the ballast shoulders....

post-6680-0-16745400-1494792085.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Hi Coachmann,

Which version of Evo Stik do you use for this task - the standard red tube/tin, the green tin 528, or one of the other variants? I will also have this job looming on the horizon....

Dave

Hi Coachmann, Which version of Evo Stik do you use for this task - the standard red tube/tin, the green tin 528, or one of the other variants? I will also have this job looming on the horizon....

Dave

To be honest I learned something here, as I've only heard of the red tube stuff. I use the large tubes in the shed.

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Gold

The enforced flattening of the curve beyond the platforms is evident in this shot.

Is that a first ?  Straightening a layout from the prototype so it fits on the baseboard.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Great to see this Larry, we spent a couple of days there at the weekend, staying in the camp site at Carrog station, so will be good to see your progress.

Our impression of the railway is that none of the staff are happy... unless they are moaning. I was greeted at Carrog by the fella in the booking office saying "have you seen the prices? I think they are very expensive" l had just asked for two tickets!

Today we are at the Talyllyn railway.

I have been experimenting with various length Kadee couplings in NEM sockets now that the fiddle yard is laid and there are reverse curves to trial the couplings on. Results indicate there is no one fix for all coupling and so I would recommend anyone considering these couplings to buy sizes 17, 18 & 20. This is because buffer distances vary on RTR locos and stock. Obviously, a 'safe bet' would be to fit size 18 or 20 to everything, but my aim is to reduce gaps between coaches to the minimum.

Trials have mainly concerned buffer locking.  I only have large radius Peco Code 75 points, nevertheless, the points have a curved exit from the frog that makes a simple crossover into an 'S', and this is where buffers tended to lock. It is no use propelling a single coach. This test requires a train of around five coaches so that the combined weight compresses the couplings. 

PGH of this forum came around this afternoon with CAD plans for the north facing garden extension,  so we pegged out where the posts will eventually go....

post-6680-0-52251600-1494951180.jpg

• Like 11

Great to see this Larry, we spent a couple of days there at the weekend, staying in the camp site at Carrog station, so will be good to see your progress.

Our impression of the railway is that none of the staff are happy... unless they are moaning. I was greeted at Carrog by the fella in the booking office saying "have you seen the prices? I think they are very expensive" l had just asked for two tickets!

Today we are at the Talyllyn railway.

I have only visited the railway once and that was last summer. I found all of the staff very pleasant and helpful especially the lady that manned the gift shop and sold the tickets. I thoroughly enjoyed my visit and may well return for a second visit in the summer.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I agree that it's best to have a few of each Kadee# on hand so you can play horses for courses. it doesn't work trying to standardize on just one size. Any reason why #19 is omitted from the list.....I find it more useful than #20.

I do enjoy your thread....I missed my daily read, along with ANTB, when you went briefly to the other side

Best wishes from Vancouver

• Like 1

What's the notice on the shed end, Larry. I can read LNWR, but that's all. Thanks.

I think it reads something like 'Toilets this way'. But I might be wrong.

'LNWR Tickets Sold Here'.... A gift from my friend at Northstar Design. It is temporarily keeping rain and what-not out of the hole cut for tracks from Carrog. 

• Like 4

I also agree that a selection of NEM Kadees is required to suit the various models....I also have been experimenting!

Some Kadee Coupler Info...

Main USA Site...

https://kadee.com/htmbord/coupler.htm

NEM 362 Couplers.

Diagram.

nem1.jpg

#17 NEM-362 Short Coupler - 7.11 mm (9/32") (w/o Draft Gear Boxes)

https://kadee.com/htmbord/page17.htm

#18 NEM-362 Medium Coupler - 8.63 mm (11/32") (w/o Draft Gear Boxes)

https://kadee.com/htmbord/page18.htm

#19 NEM-362 Long Coupler - 10.76 mm (27/64") (w/o Draft Gear Boxes)

https://kadee.com/htmbord/page19.htm

#20 NEM-362 Extra Long Coupler - 11.68 mm (29/64") (w/o Draft Gear Boxes)

https://kadee.com/htmbord/page20.htm

Hattons Kadee page....other sellers are also available!

http://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklist/3083609/1000588/1000661/0/Kadee_OO_Gauge_1_76_Scale_Spares/prodlist.aspx

Edited by Sarahagain

Will there be an observation window in the end of the shed ?

This revised layout obviates the need for a window in the end of the shed although it was part of the plan until this mornings brainwave!  I have come to see layout building as a necessity, so shortcuts are always welcome. 

Thank you Philip (PGH). Your revised plan looks fine and gives longer storage sidings to boot. Strangely, the timber was not delivered today!

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

The bottoms of the posts were treated with Creocote this morning.... 

post-6680-0-42755000-1495121101.jpg

The new arrangement for the loop was pegged out this afternoon around a central key peg. The loop uses a part of the lawn we have no other use for and is readily accessible with a lawnmower. The hole from the fiddle yard was also plugged. There is now the option of some garden running with trains running along a shelf between the two loops.....

post-6680-0-00466800-1495121103.jpg

I know this is no great shakes, but if might be of help to someone considering doing the same thing. 

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 12

Progress.....The old wheelbarrow had a service before starting. Glued on handle sheaths, put air in tyre and oiled axle. Two holes hit a rockery. Note special spade for digging small round holes..... 

post-6680-0-27123600-1495205628.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 16