CARROG in 4mm & Ruabon discussion...

coachmann

Hmm interesting. I’m going to assume that the reason for the kink in the up line on the real thing is because trains in this direction would be moving slowly having just set off from Carrog therefore the effect of the reverse curve on passengers would be minimal.

Looking back at your photo of the real thing in post #59, I notice the kink in the down line is present (as you’ve modelled); presumably it’s due to trains at Carrog under preservation predominantly using the Up Platform for passenger workings.

This is what I am thinking too. It looks like the throat has been remodeled since 1996, although it could be an illusion.  I walked almost the whole line for six years, but our photographic trackside passes were withdrawn when the line was extended beyond Glydyfrdwy and so there has been little opportunity to walk out to the points and have a good shufty....

post-6680-0-29566300-1532251077.jpg

• Like 7

By the way coachman, I’m using your technique for adding cant to the curves on my layout. Can I ask what grade sandpaper you use for sanding down the 1/16” cork?

I use the roughest grade in the box in order to cut through the cork as speedily as possible. 

While super-elevation adds immensely to the realism of trackwork, I would say this:  Greater care is needed under points. When recently relaying model Carrog with Peco Code 100, I retained the original super-elevated trackbed between the platforms and on the embankment but, beyond the platforms and under the points, I started afresh with new 1/8" cork and made no attempt to add cant. This was because I was so fed up with trying to get a smooth run through the points into the loop and sidings using super-elevation. 

It has to be born in mind that track deviating from a super-elevated point is either diving into the ground or departing skyward, and so some compensation has to be added beyond the point. This applies to real track of course, but real locos and stock have spings that absorb track abnormalities whereas our models are un-sprung and so tend to bob about most unrealistically on track that isn't perfectly level.  

Edited by coachmann

Thanks for the warning! My points are set on a section of straight track forming part of the transition of a 6’ reverse curve. I’m intending to level out the super elevation well before the points.

• Like 1

This is what I am thinking too. It looks like the throat has been remodeled since 1996, although it could be an illusion.  I walked almost the whole line for six years, but our photographic trackside passes were withdrawn when the line was extended beyond Glydyfrdwy and so there has been little opportunity to walk out to the points and have a good shufty....

attachicon.gifWEB no fencing 3.jpg

Looking at the photo, I’d definitely say there’s a reverse curve on the down line as it meets with the up. I’d expect the down line to curve to the right of the photo, but there’s definitely a slight curve to the left...

Oxford Rail Dean Goods (twin-flywheel chassis) No. 2538 runs wrong line through the loop with an Up goods for Ruabon. The driver toots on the whistle to let the guard know that he is about to open up after exchanging single line tokens with the signalman... 

• Like 9

Wow. Those videos are ace!

Well, you’ve decided it for me; I’m just going to have to go dcc, if only for sound alone!

The sound has highlighted a couple of things for me though;

1) have you any plans to notch the rails at the correct spacing to replicate the “tac tac, tac tac” of stock passing over the joins? That Dean goods train was beautiful, but I felt the stock glided past a touch too quietly?

2) would a recording of the guards whistle from a hidden speaker at the station not just complete your passenger workings setting off from Carrog?

Oxford Rail Dean Goods (twin-flywheel chassis) No. 2538 runs wrong line through the loop with an Up goods for Ruabon. The driver toots on the whistle to let the guard know that he is about to open up after exchanging single line tokens with the signalman... 

Hi Larry,

What's behind the hole in the shed wall at the non-station end, another outside loop to the other side fiddle yard? 

Great videos,

Colin

Edited by BWsTrains

Hi Larry,

What's behind the hole in the shed wall at the non-station end, another outside loop to the other side fiddle yard? 

Thanks. The line runs out onto another 3ft radius loop that takes the line around to the fiddle yard. The non-station end is still incomplete as far as scenic's go. It used to be called 'Loo-brush corner' because of the shape of the trees, but they have now gaw'n...

post-6680-0-56617300-1532338231.jpg

post-6680-0-33122800-1532338491.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 9

“Back in the early 1960's, I found that notching the rails had little impact. Cutting through the rails and leaving wide gaps was more effective...”

Hi Coachman,

How wide a gap did you leave and what spacing between gaps? If I remember right, rail was typically in 60’ lengths wasn’t it?

The “clickety-clack” is something I’d like to reproduce on my own layout and I imagine the gaps had the added benefit of allowing expansion in hot weather...

Edited by Tortuga

Thanks to you lot (he he), I've been busy all afternoon with guards whistles and rail notching!  I found that filing half round notches in rails whether at rail joints or inbetween produced the same results.  Clickety-click is there but it can barely be heard above the DCC sound. Prototype rail lengths are immaterial in 4mm.  On real railways we hear the nearest clickety-click and the ones further down the track, but too many rail notches on a layout will produce a cacophony of clicks that will cancel themselves out and be annoying.

Guards whistle has been allocated to F-key #7 on everyone of my locos today. On the LH90 handset, I have to use shift key + F-Key #3 to activate Key#7.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 12

Thanks to you lot (he he), I've been busy all afternoon with guards whistles and rail notching! I found that filing half round notches in rails whether at rail joints or inbetween produced the same results. Clickety-click is there but it can barely be heard above the DCC sound. Prototype rail lengths are immaterial in 4mm. On real railways we hear the nearest clickety-click and the ones further down the track, but too many rail notches on a layout will produce a cacophony of clicks that will cancel themselves out and be annoying.

Guards whistle has been allocated to F-key #7 on everyone of my locos today. On the LH90 handset, I have to use shift key + F-Key #3 to activate Key#7.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p6rhVI5k8M&feature=youtu.be

Hehe! That sounds much better - reminds me of watching Tornado on a run (though where, I can’t remember); the carriages made more noise than the loco going full pelt!

Thanks. The line runs out onto another 3ft radius loop that takes the line around to the fiddle yard. The non-station end is still incomplete as far as scenic's go. It used to be called 'Loo-brush corner' because of the shape of the trees, but they have now gaw'n...

attachicon.gifWEB Bridge 24.jpg

Here, I'd have possums nesting in the shed with an access hole like that and you don't want possums grunting and snorting at 3am as is their wont "in season"!

I fight an ongoing battle to keep the ba$tards from nesting anywhere near our house. 

Colin

Edited by BWsTrains

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to you lot (he he), I've been busy all afternoon with guards whistles and rail notching!  I found that filing half round notches in rails whether at rail joints or inbetween produced the same results.  Clickety-click is there but it can barely be heard above the DCC sound. Prototype rail lengths are immaterial in 4mm.  On real railways we hear the nearest clickety-click and the ones further down the track, but too many rail notches on a layout will produce a cacophony of clicks that will cancel themselves out and be annoying.

Spot on regarding the notches. The idea is to replicate what a stationary observer at the lineside would hear as a train passes, not what an observer on the moving train would hear. A few notches at key places - in your case I would go for the entrance and exit to the shed and possibly one more on the scenic section - would be plenty to give the right impression.

• Like 2

That is one nice set of coaches, Larry.

C.

That is one nice set of coaches, Larry.

C.

They are Hornby models on which I resprayed the bottom half a lighter 'blood'.  As from 5pm today, the GWR livery coach is now a useful layout coach in BR maroon....

post-6680-0-34105800-1532460915_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Typical of country stations along the Welsh borders, Carrog station is in isolation from the community and despite the glorious weather, no one it seems is taking advantage of this 1958 summer-extra from Chester to Bala Lake...

• Like 17

No one seemed to spot the missing reverser lever a couple of posts ago. Posting on here usually spurs me onto sorting things out and so I scoured 'Peters Spares' website and bought an elderly 28XX pressed metal reverser from the days when Hornby built toys to last. 3802 & 3802 are seen below....

When I look at the total simplicity of Churchards original design and its power output, this GWR 2-8-0 was streets ahead of every other railway. Even after the Big four was formed, the LMS didn't catch on until 1935.

post-6680-0-69832600-1532858008_thumb.jpg

post-6680-0-40088900-1532858007_thumb.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 19