CARROG in 4mm & Ruabon discussion...

coachmann

I cannot put any blame on bullhead track. The problem is the garden shed environment. Not only does it suffer a temperature range from below zero to over 100 degrees Fahrenheit, but one end of the shed has sunk slightly over the years causing an incline in the baseboard. I would not hesitate to use bullhead in the house, but I am where I am and I have asked a lot of it since 2008. Good running means far more to me than anything else. Code 100 is a well-proven outdoors track system, so it is high time I used it.

Besides, Code 100 has a pleasing appearance all of its own and I can see why it is still popular.  For those aiming for fine-scale 00, bullhead is the natural answer these days.

After being in the shed on Monday, I know why now.  Went to the club later and found a section of Code 100 in the shape of a snake, near the window (pined not glued)

• RMweb Gold

I have in mind something LMS in the Pennines in the early 1930's built on a steep incline.  Lots of fully panelled coaches, coal wagons and ex.LNWR locos.

Now you're talking, Coach.

• Like 1

Carrog has had a good run considering my mind is often on other railway locations that I would like to construct in model form, but for the moment and probably next year as well, it is safe. I cannot get the GWR out of my system yet, but if I ever do, I have in mind something LMS in the Pennines in the early 1930's built on a steep incline.  Lots of fully panelled coaches, coal wagons and ex.LNWR locos.

So, maybe off to green fields (hint) and pastures new ?

The two sidings were sprayed Sleeper Grime outside. While wet, they were positioned as accurately as possible in the yard with pins and a 5' radius Peco Tracksetta and left to dry.....

post-6680-0-74571100-1530800436.jpg

An hour or so later, they were glued down with PVA and real ash (courtesy PGH).  When dry, the ash was filed down to dust and the surplus removed.  Lack of space for road traffic movement has meant laying the coal siding along the backscene again. A Peco bufferstop, coal staithes and some static grass completed the scene. It will be seen that the entrance to the platform is as it was in steam days and not as today. However, the ready-to-plonk cattle dock arrangement is fiction due to the gates being at the back and not on the side...

post-6680-0-19476000-1530800438_thumb.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 17

I have been colouring the track and tidying up this afternoon while things are cooler (85 degrees in't shed).  One could take Code 100 as bullhead or flat bottom with a bit of imagination. I have pretended it if the former and painted the chairs rust colour seeing as rust off the railheads is washed down by the constant passage of wheels. Chairs in the yard are painted Frame Dirt on the goods siding and Dirty Black on the coal siding, although the rails are still rust colour because of the aforementioned 'wash down'. If modelling a diesel era yard, I would paint the rails in the yard a darker colour than the running lines....

post-6680-0-99503800-1530808493.jpg

Coaches I propelled at speed over the layout have run smoothly with no hickups, but the proof of the pudding will be after it is wired up...

post-6680-0-72843700-1530808495_thumb.jpg 

• Like 17

As a slight change in scale Larry I was considering using Pecaboo O Gauge in an effort to achieve consistent running quality for my proposed layout.

I've been down the copper clad method, which actually worked fine but my head kept saying it's not quite correct, mainly because of the cosmetic chairs I stuck to the sides.

I then remade some points using obechi strip for sleepers and Peco Individulay parts as here....

post-20303-0-99769500-1530815711.jpeg

I'm a bit happier now, even though it isn't perfect but running is fine for my stock.

The reason for posting this is mainly to say whatever we do as modellers ultimately it's what gives us the greatest satisfaction within our means in my opinion so well done for re laying your track to your own satisfaction.

Grahame

• Like 14

As a slight change in scale Larry I was considering using Pecaboo O Gauge in an effort to achieve consistent running quality for my proposed layout.

I've been down the copper clad method, which actually worked fine but my head kept saying it's not quite correct, mainly because of the cosmetic chairs I stuck to the sides.

I then remade some points using obechi strip for sleepers and Peco Individulay parts as here....

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

I'm a bit happier now, even though it isn't perfect but running is fine for my stock.

The reason for posting this is mainly to say whatever we do as modellers ultimately it's what gives us the greatest satisfaction within our means in my opinion so well done for re laying your track to your own satisfaction.

Grahame

Fair do's, that's one fine looking point. 

The fireman of 4F 43924 has already noticed that the level crossing has been reinstated.  He will also have remembered, when booking on, that the Notices informed crews passing Carrog to watch out electricians working trackside today....  :biggrin_mini2:

post-6680-0-17446400-1530865624_thumb.jpg 

Kadee drop arms were all readjusted last night after the track magnets were glued in place. 

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 13

Red and yellow wires hanging down at convenient spots are labelled 'feeds'. There was one hairy moment when both sidings were dead. I traced the yellow back to a distribution point but the red weaved its way through holes in cross-member and came to a dead end. It wasn't connected to anything!  Ah well, such if life. Wiring was completed this morning and it is still hitched up to Dinosaur-Control (DC) so I can run in some non-chipped locos.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 2

Fabulously atmospheric shot there, Larry.

Is that natural sunlight giving that lovely shadow, please?

Cheers,

John.

Yes. For some months in high summer, the layout gets bathed in sunlight after tea. Shadows from the window bars are a problem when taking photos, so I have to be very selective.

I have criticized DJM's choice of drive, but I must say this loco is a very smooth runner on DC and I am looking forward to having it fitted with DCC and sound. 

• Like 1

When Jintyman was in the shed a couple of weeks ago, he said he liked the 'run in'......That is the stretch of line from the shed doorway to the station.  Had I done Carrog in 0 gauge, as planned last Xmas, trains would have entered the shed and immediately entered the station. The effect of open country would have been lost.

A quick comment on the track. To the naked eye, the track looks pleasing, but the camera paints a different picture.....

post-6680-0-75854200-1531004002_thumb.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 15

I think that a little more ballast would help reduce the chunkyness, the ballast would have been almost up to sleeper tops.

Glue, lay & ballast at the same time is better suited to thin sleeper tracks such as SMP, however, I cannot get on with the alternative process of sprinkling ballast, wetting it and spraying on diluted PVA. It usually ends up looking like porridge in my hands, besides, it's tedious and that isn't for me. 

First of all, the goods yard following today's revisions after it was discovered the station buildings were all too close to the platform edge by over 6 feet.....

attachicon.gifWEB Carrog 100 28.jpg

Put simply, the station masters house had to be moved back and the tearooms moved forward as a result. This entailed quite a bit of reconstruction work. The goods shed and lamp room had to be re-sited further back as well. Black lines representing side doors were painted onto the cattle dock and fencing was erected where it should be....

attachicon.gifWEB Carrog 100 29.jpg

Thing are now more like the prototype as it was in steam days and the place is looking far more spacious...

attachicon.gifWEB Carrog 100 30.jpg

Absolutely Georgeous!!!!!!

C.