CARROG in 4mm & Ruabon discussion...

coachmann

• RMweb Gold

I took my 47 up to the club on Friday for it's recommended half hour each way and it ran perfectly through the Peco code 75 track including double slips. Another member did the same with his on Monday. So far I haven't had chance to run it on my home layout with tighter curves.

I really enjoy reading about Carrog, superb modelling all round.

Brian.

Nothing's straightforward is it!  A continuous 3ft radius curve leaves a miss-match when it reaches the Carrog station loop. The original course is just visible under the pliers but it led to a sharper radius loop, something I had forgotten...........

attachicon.gifWEB Loop 100 1.jpg

One arrangement would be the reverse the points although the curve would still have to have a sharper radius....

attachicon.gifWEB Loop 100 2.jpg

Since Carrog's goods yard is only served by Up trains (Rule 1 again), I have rarely used the external points as a run-round facility. So I decided to forward-think and reinstate double track.  

Larry,

Knowing how the roofing felt expands and contracts on my shed roof, etc., is it really the ideal thing to use as a trackbed?

I know that it has a passing resenblance to ballast, but I've a feeling that it'll always cause trouble by distorting the track, due to weather-related movement.

With modern, near-scale track and wheels, it doesn't take much in the way of local 'twist' to mess up the best laid trackwork.

Just a thought ....

Regards,

John Isherwood.

A bit of video. I had to start the train within the shed then belt across the garden to catch the train departing Carrog....

4F in the opposite direction. The down line has not been connected to the fiddle yard as yet....

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 19

Couple of cracking video's Larry think you have got the sound on both loco's spot on , I always think that steam running at speed was a bit of a let down with DCC but having watch these two clips I think you have nail it excellent. 

:superman:  :superman:

• Like 2

Did I detect a little bit of miss-striking in there?

Probably practice night ~ they get the bells all over the place at times. Nice to hear the sound of olden days.

Couple of cracking video's Larry think you have got the sound on both loco's spot on , I always think that steam running at speed was a bit of a let down with DCC but having watch these two clips I think you have nail it excellent. 

:superman:  :superman:

Thanks. I hadn't heard the Dukedog for a while. It needs the 'secondary' exhaust adjusting to represent the driver adjusting the cut-off to use less steam after the initial start.

• Like 1

When I heard the seagulls and the bells I couldn't help but compare North Wales to Southern France.  Your seagulls have a relatively pleasant sound, ours make the most awful cacophany but at least they don't wake up with the rest of the dawn chorus, leaving it until 8 am.  The church bells here are a constant reminder of tempus fugit, striking on the hour and again at 2 minutes past the hour in case you were wondering if it was 5 or 6 pm and therefore time for the gin and tonic.  It's all automated as far as I can tell with additional sounds for services and funerals.  But the strangest sound was one morning when the bells "thudded" out the time.  On opening the blinds came the answer - we had had a blizzard in the night and the bells were full of snow!

Being dyslexic at times, I though your 4F was a very strange 4-4-0.  It does help to read the appropriate caption!

Great videos!

Paul

• Like 1

If it was practice night, that's what it's all about.  :offtopic:

They can practice all they like but the bell ringer at Carrog will never sound like those bells as there's only one bell in the chapel ....maybe the wind was in the right direction that day and the peel of bells drifted down the Dee Valley from Corwen  :jester:  

• Like 1

They can practice all they like but the bell ringer at Carrog will never sound like those bells as there's only one bell in the chapel ....maybe the wind was in the right direction that day and the peel of bells drifted down the Dee Valley from Corwen  :jester:  

Must be the origin of that song "D'ye ken yon peel....?"

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

A bit of video. I had to start the train within the shed then belt across the garden to catch the train departing Carrog....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbxNt5b-Dbw&feature=youtu.be

4F in the opposite direction. The down line has not been connected to the fiddle yard as yet....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI7ini0uYzs

Two great videos which really benefit from the natural sounds too.

My wife told me yesterday that Porthmadog had the highest temperature in the UK.  Ironically my railway room (ex-home cinema) has air-conditioning but I have yet to turn it on as it is basically a cellar on the ground floor (no windows, heavy insulation, outside wall faces north).  So it has the opposite effect, when it gets really hot in the rest of the house I simply go to the railway room and close the door!

Coastal breezes are nice until they become hurricanes (I have had experience of such things!)

Paul

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

May I be so bold as to enquire about the origins of the corrugated "iron"? I have a garage that would benefit from the same on its roof.

I have some card but the corrugations seem too far apart.

Friends Merf and PGH of this forum know what has been happening, but it is unexceptional; a backward step some would say, and so I have been holding off updating.  Bullhead track doesnt like being leaned on (I lean on everything!) and constant track cleaning led to some dished rail joints as seen under the centre driving wheels in the shot below....

post-6680-0-86007500-1530626865_thumb.jpg

After the outdoor sections were relaid with Peco Code 100, I could easily have relaid the scenic section with bullhead, however, I have adopted Code 100 for its rigidness and durability, although I readily admit is certainly not as realistic or pretty under the camera. I anticipate it will give much smoother running and that counts a lot to me.  The track is awaiting gluing down.....  

post-6680-0-85219600-1530626867.jpg

post-6680-0-42412000-1530629750.jpg

• Like 13

Holy-schmoly....... Ropey track...  The join between bullhead and the Code 100 garden loop is nowhere near good enough long-term, although the telephoto lens makes it look even worse. The main thing is, the Heljan 4700 Tenders no longer derail...

attachicon.gifWEB Loop 100 4.jpg

attachicon.gifWEB Loop 100 1.jpg

attachicon.gifWEB Loop 100 2.jpg

The double track adds all sorts of good stuff to the train set!! I appreciate it was a get out to get good running from the 'Beasts' but the double to single track senario is great!

The open space of your layout is a joy, less is more really works in this case!

My train set is all inner city, filth, bricks viaducts and stuff cramped. I love it! 

The gentle picture you have created is equally great.

A winters evening, the smell of the waiting room fire in the air or a high summer evening with sheep in the fields and bees in the station garden and the train comes in, goes about it's business and departs. The sound adds an extra dimension to it!!

Marvellous,

C. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I did wonder when you might start ripping track up, I've had code 100 down for years I would hate to think how much to renew it with

the Bullsh!t head rail stuff would cost for 42 turnouts  :O  and 60yards of wibbly wobbly lengths.  :scratchhead:

Larry, IMHO Good move for many reasons, most of which you have stated. When I first started KM it was Code 75, I soon had problems with mainly Hornby Locos not running through Points without shorting, unless the Point was modified, I then had other problems as well, like Rail lifting out of Chairs etc.

Very soon I was getting to the sage of ripping it all up and taking up knitting.

I switched back to good old faithful Code 100, and I've never regretted it. I have perfect running every day when I switch on, it seems to need less cleaning, and when it is cleaned, I feel it's far more robust.

WELL DONE,

GOOD MOVE

NOW MOVE ON AND ENJOY.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2

Just got back from shopping for some more 1/8" cork and the response so far has surprised me. I expected something along the lines of  "Oh no, the poor fella's lost his marbles".     :jester:

Edited by coachmann