CARROG in 4mm & Ruabon discussion...

coachmann

Two screws out and body off. That was pretty well how it was with the toy manufacturers locos. The Heljan is two screws out (the long ones showing below the wheels) but they release the boiler only.  The motor is within a heavy metal imitation boiler, which in turn slides inside the plastic boiler. Two screws under the cab release the cab. Best to remove the cab first. 

I carried out this disassembly on the black loco to see what was involved before respraying the green loco. The Hattons/DJM 14XX is top of the pile for 'weard chassis design', and this Heljan 47XX comes second. That said, the Bachmann 2251 and the Oxford Dean Goods could be like this to put weight where it is needed and to avoid the poor current poor match of separate halves of a boiler. All the DCC gubbins could be in the Tender of both locos.

post-6680-0-45318900-1532885346.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

No one seemed to spot the missing reverser lever a couple of posts ago. Posting on here usually spurs me onto sorting things out and so I scoured 'Peters Spares' website and bought an elderly 28XX pressed metal reverser from the days when Hornby built toys to last. 3802 & 3802 are seen below....

When I look at the total simplicity of Churchards original design and its power output, this GWR 2-8-0 was streets ahead of every other railway. Even after the Big four was formed, the LMS didn't catch on until 1935.

attachicon.gifWEB 38XX reverser 1.jpg

attachicon.gifWEB 38XX 4.jpg

A lovely photo, but has anybody else noticed the preservation movement's attempt at levelling?

Nearly all the 28 and 38xx pictures in the Bradford Barton (among others) series of books show this 2-8-0 family with tenders that sit lower, so that when photographed the respective loco and tender footplates do not form a continuous line but show a distinct step.

At first I thought it might be because the original 'working' tenders were fully loaded and sat lower on their springs, but if that is the case, why do other GWR locos  not show this characteristic?

A lovely photo, but has anybody else noticed the preservation movement's attempt at levelling?

Nearly all the 28 and 38xx pictures in the Bradford Barton (among others) series of books show this 2-8-0 family with tenders that sit lower, so that when photographed the respective loco and tender footplates do not form a continuous line but show a distinct step.

At first I thought it might be because the original 'working' tenders were fully loaded and sat lower on their springs, but if that is the case, why do other GWR locos  not show this characteristic?

It is merely an illusion caused by the beading that runs along the base of the Tender sidesheet. The tender footplate is in fact below that of the locomotive on the real 3802. Another view of 3802 entering Carrog in 2015 ...

post-6680-0-86147200-1532939771_thumb.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 6

It is merely an illusion caused by the beading that runs along the base of the Tender sidesheet. The tender footplate is in fact below that of the locomotive on the real 3802. Another view of 3802 entering Carrog in 2015 ...

attachicon.gifWEB 38XX 7.jpg

As it is on 3803, photographed on the South Devon Railway in 2006:

post-20733-0-95934500-1532944457_thumb.jpg

Paul

• Like 4

Another loco I have been preparing while it is still DC is a Bachmann 'Crab' that was very kindly given me by fellow-member Paul Ashton (Focalplane).  The front end hunted from side to side which, while prototypical, did not look attractive in model form. I put it down to side-play, which is enormous and far beyond the needs of my layout with its minimum 3' radius. So I made spacers from 30thou Plastikard to slip behind the leading and trailing driving wheels....

post-6680-0-25334600-1532943489.jpg

A shot of them in situ behind the leading drivers prior to painting black. Held in place with a spot of Loctite....

post-6680-0-03084900-1532943488.jpg

For those folk, young and old, for whom kneeling down is a pain, I sit on a small plastic buffet instead. Dead useful when taking low-level photos or carrying out under-baseboard wiring etc..

post-6680-0-27482700-1532943490.jpg

The loco now runs as straight as an arrow and it will be renumbered, weathered and converted to DCC sound later in the year....

post-6680-0-72458900-1532944558.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

As it is on 3803, photographed on the South Devon Railway in 2006:

attachicon.gif251484325_8238380f7e_o.jpg

Paul

That is some hybrid tender though!

A fender style akin to Collett's design.

I always thought the 28s initially ran with the Dean/Churchward 3000g tender  and later in regular service with a Churchward 3500 gallon version.

That is some hybrid tender though!

A fender style akin to Collett's design.

I always thought the 28s initially ran with the Dean/Churchward 3000g tender  and later in regular service with a Churchward 3500 gallon version.

i believe that this pic shows the loco when it was running with the tender from Collet goods 3205

• RMweb Gold

I think that there are a number of preservation re builds of tenders because Hinton Manor also has a similar tender where she currently resides in the outlet village at Swindon.

This particular tender has no Swindon builders plate on the rear, hence my assumption that there are a few 'new' tenders out there.

I profess no great knowledge of GWR tenders apart from knowing that three similar looking ones were designed by Collett in 3000, 3500 and 4000 g variants.

(I have a sneaking feeling that for the unwary, GWR tenders are a hidden minefield! Those more knowledgeable than I may comment otherwise!))

My query about the tenders is purely a quest for further knowledge, and the reason I bring it up on Larry's Carrog thread is purely because of the excellent photographs of various locos he is producing.

Entering Carrog with a return excursion. The loco had turned on the triangle at Barmouth Junction while its train was taken forward over the bridge to Barmouth by a loco off Penmaenpool Shed...

attachicon.gifWEB 47XX 21.jpg

Larry

That's a nice touch!  I'll have to remember that for the future!

The 47xx looks very nice indeed!

Paul

I think that there are a number of preservation re builds of tenders because Hinton Manor also has a similar tender where she currently resides in the outlet village at Swindon.

This particular tender has no Swindon builders plate on the rear, hence my assumption that there are a few 'new' tenders out there.

I profess no great knowledge of GWR tenders apart from knowing that three similar looking ones were designed by Collett in 3000, 3500 and 4000 g variants.

(I have a sneaking feeling that for the unwary, GWR tenders are a hidden minefield! Those more knowledgeable than I may comment otherwise!))

My query about the tenders is purely a quest for further knowledge, and the reason I bring it up on Larry's Carrog thread is purely because of the excellent photographs of various locos he is producing.

the tender in question is not a preservation 'new' tender.these were introduced by Collett to pair the 2251's so is a genuine GWR design.

I see you sorted the rear tender coupling, was the nem pocket in the box after all.

Hi Rob. No, so I drilled an old NEM socket out and mounted it with an 8BA bolt that tapped itself into a slightly too-small hole.

Edited by coachmann

The DCC-fitted and renumbered GWR 47XX has been sprayed over with more diluted slightly brownish-grey cellulose since my previous post. It looked too clean in photos!  I have also re designated the remaining buttons on the Lenz LH90 handset to more loco whistles. I dont know why I didn't do this before, as the various whistles come in handy when moving off and shunting....

post-6680-0-52955500-1533209121_thumb.jpg

It is a matt finish but it doesn't look it in photos. Only a chalk-matt finish conveys workaday dirt, but the loco would be difficult to keep free of dust and handling marks.

post-6680-0-08717600-1533209123_thumb.jpg

I must say I am well pleased with this Heljan loco. It conveys the massive proportions and sense of weight perfectly. The idea of a solid metal 'boiler' with a detailed plastic outer sleeve is a great idea for putting weight where it is needed most while allowing the motor to be hidden. It is a bit over complicated though and the motor could easily have been put in the firebox instead of hidden within the weight. This way the boiler could have been withdrawn forward without having to remove the cab when adding lubrication. The set-up would suit the GWR 2251 and Dean Goods, in fact any loco that demands fresh air below the boiler, and is preferable to splitting the boiler as on the aforementioned 0-6-0's.

post-6680-0-52955500-1533209121_thumb.jpg

post-6680-0-08717600-1533209123_thumb.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 10

Followers of this thread may have noticed a lack of anything happening on the layout of late now that it isn't far off completion. Signals to build (plastic ones are useless), but I am confused when faced with a mile-long list of parts for building metal signals. Fake point rodding to add. Also passengers and gardens to add to platforms.

Two problems arise. First, Carrog is not satisfying to operate any longer. I have known this for some time and this frame of mind has prevented me from building any GWR coaches. Second is the real culprit!!! Friend PGH told me ages ago that I am a builder first and foremost so, when a layout nears completion, I rip it up and build again.  Sadly, I fear he is right. However, everything is running smoothly since the code 100 relay and I have had no excuse to bring in the headache ball.

So my mind is busy but the days are empty because there is nothing to get stuck into. Some people call it a lack of mojo, but I know exactly what it is with me. I need to be 'doing' all the time. I can almost hear one of my customers shouting "Well in that case, built my bloody coaches!".

Carrog is really an inverted version of my Greenfield layout with a station on a curve and a decent 'run-in'. I didn't have DCC sound when Greenfield was built, but I have long felt it would be ideal for mainline trains slogging upgrade and others clanking downgrade. The downside is the LNWR location in the damp Pennines which I swore I would never re-visit.

Bakewell in the Peak District again offers a double track mainline through a curving station served by mostly ex.MR engines of which I am very fond. Far more scenic and just the ticket, as I would start building LMS coaches again!

The third and final scenario is a fictional Ruabon type of station astride the GWR Chester-Shrewsbury mainline but of GWR & LMS Joint property.

Ah well, back to the deckchair....

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

George T of this parish is the same, look at his list of started Layouts on here and it must be in the high 20's,( in addition to the ones listed in his thread, http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/55033-georgets-7mm-workbench/page-109&do=findComment&comment=3252422 ) once the Track goes down, and a  start on some scencs and he is borde with it, and is back to building O Gauge Locos.

Maybe just a break, finish off your customers coaches, play with some Midland Sound, and think about Corwen, as it was with the Goods Yard etc.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hells teeth Larry....I've just found Carrog, and now you're considering taking the blessed things up. I don't know....

Look here young man! I'll not be following your blogs around the UK!

Actually, good luck with your plans. This time, I'll try to follow a little closer.

Cheers,

Ian.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Bakewell has been done many times - the station buildings really are rather splendid. I had a go at them for my teenage layout, based on drawings by Stanley Jenkins in the RM c. 1976. But I'd love to see your interpretation - a double track main line with plenty of expresses - lots of coaches to build!

Bakewell has been done many times - the station buildings really are rather splendid. I had a go at them for my teenage layout, based on drawings by Stanley Jenkins in the RM c. 1976. But I'd love to see your interpretation - a double track main line with plenty of expresses - lots of coaches to build!

The info on Stanley Jenkins scale drawings is useful although 'based on' is more likely with me rather than a true copy of Bakewell. The false wall of the other platform would be omitted otherwise it would put the station in darkness due to the lighting. Even Carrog suffers from shadow despite the very small waiting room on the Down.

The best lit place for a station is always at the shed door end, and I may go for this if I can manage to keep the baseboard width sensible near the doorway. It was possible with Greenfield. Two layouts would be best; one Midland and 'tother GWR, but mixing the two ain't easy unless I move the location into Worcester.