CARROG in 4mm & Ruabon discussion...

coachmann

Filmed a stock movement (not a lot) this morning, to empty the fiddle yard prior to it's relaying with new track. This final section will make the layout 100% Peco Code 100. All the locos will receive engraved plates when I get around to doing some indoor jobs....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOQ7hbpLauI&feature=youtu.be

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

I thought for a moment you have fitted smoke generation to that engine when it had stopped in the station, then I realised it was the corner of your backscene which you had managed to line up with the loco's chimney. This movement reminds me of when preserved railways empty their sidings of stored stock and move them to new locations.

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 1

Vert nice Larry.

Thanks Andy, but I do miss my old video suite.  A visiting friend made the comment that the locos sounded great in the flesh but did not sound right on the forum. I have always put it down to the stills camera that includes the option of taking video. Obviously, the small mic is never going to pick up the full spectrum of sound particularly bass, and having used video professionally in the 1990s with separate purpose built directional mics, the results from the present recording equipment leave a lot to be desired and do not surprise me.

Edited by coachmann

Thanks Andy, but I do miss my old video suite.  A visiting friend made the comment that the locos sounded great in the flesh but did not sound right on the forum. I have always put it down to the stills camera that includes the option of taking video. Obviously, the small mic is never going to pick up the full spectrum of sound particularly bass, and having used video professionally in the 1990s with separate purpose built directional mics, the results from the present recording equipment leave a lot to be desired and do not surprise me.

As I always say Larry, it depends on the Mic, the recording equipment and the speakers in the device it's being played back on. I bet what I hear on my Lap Top is totally different to what you hear on your system, and different again when stood in your Shed.

Put your Video through a Bose Quadrophonic Sound System in a Sound proofed Room and I bet it would sound amazing.

We had a speedy drive over to Carrog mid afternoon to photograph the 'gardens' on the platforms, but were stopped about 2 miles from Corwen by an RTA. Air Ambulance arrived and it was initially considered the road would reopen, but it wasn't to be. Police assisted my turn-back and we shot off back home. However, another bad RTA had shut the slip road to our home town. Sunday afternoon drives ain't the chuckle they used to be ha ha.  

Edited by coachmann

Hi there,

I’ve managed to read through all 98 pages and would just want to say how much I’ve enjoyed following this thread so far. I got quite worried every time there was a major change, but you making all those choices have helped me with decisions regarding my own layout - particularly the choice of track!

Keep up the excellent work and keep posting those videos - I’m kind of torn between DC and DCC myself, partly thanks to you!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

As I always say Larry, it depends on the Mic, the recording equipment and the speakers in the device it's being played back on. I bet what I hear on my Lap Top is totally different to what you hear on your system, and different again when stood in your Shed.

Put your Video through a Bose Quadrophonic Sound System in a Sound proofed Room and I bet it would sound amazing.

Surely the limit to sound quality will be the small physical size of the speaker in the loco. If you've got a Bose quadrophonic system, set it up in the shed and play the sound file through that, with some hardware and software to link the apparent point of origin to the sound to the location of the loco.

It's the same principle as applies when modelling a dockyard scene: don't put bits of fish in your fish vans before MekPaking the roofs on, nail a mackerel to the underside of the baseboard.

• Like 4

A refreshing video, Larry, it sure beats all the car horns (French) outside. Not that I think France didn't deserve to win the World Cup (I don't want anyone to burn my house down with fireworks later tonight).

I notice that the loop at Carrog was operated differently from that at Penmaenpool. There all the UP trains (to Ruabon) would run on the northern loop whereas at Carrog they run (as does your Dukedog) on the southern loop. Is this because of the location of the goods yard sidings on the opposite sides of the line?

Paul

Edited by Focalplane

A refreshing video, Larry, it sure beats all the car horns (French) outside.  Not that I think France didn't deserve to win the World Cup (I don't want anyone to burn my house down with fireworks alter tonight).

I notice that the loop at Carrog was operated differently from that at Penmaenpool.  There all the UP trains (to Ruabon) would run on the northern loop whereas at Carrog they run (as does your Dukedog) on the southern loop.  Is this because of the location of the goods yard sidings on the opposite sides of the line?

Paul

Prototype practice in steam days was different. According to the late Bill Rear, Carrog yard was served by Down trains only. It is easy to see why if goods originated at Ruabon. Locos of goods trains had to run round their train in order to set down and collect wagons. Such trains used the running line as a headshunt under the watchful eye of the signalman. There was a shunt signal and a shunt limit. In winter, Carrog's signalbox was often locked out and all trains used the Up platform, much as they do today on the heritage line. I think the down loop was removed in the winter of 1964.

So fear not Paul, tis me altering operating practice to suit the model. Running round is too long winded for me, so I call the down loop a goods loop and only Up goods trains serve Carrog. It leaves the Down platform free for normal traffic. Livestock collected at Carrog is a different matter if it is destined for a place in the Barmouth direction.

• Like 4

I remember the 65 very well! I used to travel on that route to go to Richmond Station (I lived in Ealing then) - for Raceways model shop and also when catching a train to go and see my grandparents who lived in Ashford (Middx)

Just one thing - should it have the late LT symbol with those adverts on it?

Emma

• RMweb Premium

Nice to see the Sunstar bus thanks. I might be tempted by a green one in LONDON COUNTRY livery, not the early Green Line version produced so far. However I'm not quite convinced by the blinds. Wasn't the bottom line of the intermediate blind "Copt Gilders Estate" rather than "Hook  Copt Gilders"? And are they dots or diamonds?

Edited by brushman47544

I would like to learn more about London's buses and liveries from pre-war types to the Routemaster. Can anyone point me in the direction of a full colour 'Janes' style album or full-colour anything. Thanks in advance. 

I know it's off-topic, but I forgive myself haha..

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I would like to learn more about London's buses and liveries from pre-war types to the Routemaster. Can anyone point me in the direction of a full colour 'Janes' style album or full-colour anything. Thanks in advance. 

I know it's off-topic, but I forgive myself haha..

There have been quite a lot of albums of London buses in colour published by both Ian Allan (in the Janes format) and Capital Transport. Most are easy to find second hand and many of the Capital Transport books are still available new. there was a three volume series of something like 'London buses in colour' published by Ian Allan but I can't get them to come up on a Google search at the mo.

There have been quite a lot of albums of London buses in colour published by both Ian Allan (in the Janes format) and Capital Transport. Most are easy to find second hand and many of the Capital Transport books are still available new. there was a three volume series of something like 'London buses in colour' published by Ian Allan but I can't get them to come up on a Google search at the mo.

Thanks to Brushman47544 and everyone. I have just placed an order for two Jane's style albums. I will follow with the 1945-52 album later. 

Mercontrol wire & tubing was used once again to motivate the three points at Carrog (the out-of-sight point at the Corwen end of the loop is solenoid operated). Very easy to thread under sleepers after the web has had a drill run through it. Some disguise has been added. The bits of tube showing beside the ballast will have false point rodding run to them from the signal box one day.....

post-6680-0-94951400-1531950329.jpg

• Like 9

At the moment, all my DCC sound decoders are Zimo with F2 brake and F5 alternative exhaust sounds. 

Seeing as my ex.GWR 38XX was set up months ago exactly as I wanted it, I found the time today to re-set every CV on the other locos to match exactly those of the 2-8-0. Only the chuff-rate and rate of acceleration was individualized to suit each chassis. I should have done this long ago.

While performance is entirely predictable across the fleet now, the locos differ in sound due to other factors.  But the main thing is they do what I want them to do and this had added immeasurably to the pleasure of operating trains. 

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

A good starting point on the web is Ian's bus stop. It covers London's buses from the late 20's to the 90's

www.countrybus.org

Hope that helps

Keith

I agree Keith. Just corrected your typo though.

Parked outside our home today, a Sun Star Routemaster.  A bit big for Carrog but a super display...

attachicon.gifWEB Routemaster 1.jpg

Climb aboard.....

attachicon.gifWEB Routemaster 3.jpg

Traditional inside.....

attachicon.gifWEB Routemaster 4.jpg

Nice upholstery too....

attachicon.gifWEB Routemaster 2.jpg

The main bit behind a real grill....

attachicon.gifWEB Routemaster 5.jpg

Drivers cab....

attachicon.gifWEB Routemaster 6.jpg

A smashing all-rounder to 1 : 24 scale ....

attachicon.gifWEB Routemaster 7.jpg

I apologise to Larry about this post!

Do any LT bus fans remember the vehicles constructed out of parts to do long term testing of the new Routemasters?

I think there were three of them working routes alongside the buses.

They carried no passengers and had strange utilitarian bodywork.

I saw one as a little boy on a summer holiday trip to London from my aunts in West Worthing. Made an impression!!

I think there are some shots of them, certainly one in an old Ian Allan London Bus Album.

Right, I'll get my coat, Again!!!

Chris.