A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

• RMweb Gold

I only mentioned it because I'd raised the same thought some time ago in one of the height topics and realised it could be seen as almost patronising chair users ;)

I even wondered about sticking a small HD camera out on a stick above the light rig and putting a monitor underneath at a comfortable height.

Of course with a micro cameo you could put three chairs out front to control everyone's eye level and still give them a full view from one spot.

Three chairs for cameos!

Hip Hip....

• RMweb Gold

It has been mentioned that allowing youngsters to interact adds to their enjoyment, perhaps we should all try to do more of this. What thoughts do others have on allowing interaction?

Rob.

Cogirep is pretty easy to operate, so I've always been happy to let enthusiastic youngsters have a go, in fact one lad got the hang of it so quickly that I was more than willing to let

him operate it for half and hour while I wandered off. When I came back he asked if he could keep on operating! That said, the layout is pretty sturdy and there's not much that

can go wrong, with Kadee couplers.

I bring the rolling stock in a sturdy plastic toolkit-type box. Once the layout's set up, the box doubles as a step for anyone needing a bit more height.

• Like 2

How about a round layout, say 4' diameter that slowly rotated. The proscenium arch being formed by a 1/3 scale coach window. The layout rotates slowly with shunts and train movements as seen from a moving train..,,,

I thought my concept of a slowly revolving RAF Calshot as viewed from seaplane and/or ocean liner windows was radical but I've lost the novelty aspect already!

I may have the answer ......

attachicon.gifoperator blimp.jpg

Lord preserve us from Dirigikernows - what worries more is that there's only one propeller for propulsion and therefore testiculations (waving of hands whilst talking Horrocksford) or gas emissions will be needed to augment this.

• RMweb Gold

Lord preserve us from Dirigikernows - what worries more is that there's only one propeller for propulsion and therefore testiculations (waving of hands whilst talking Horrocksford) or gas emissions will be needed to augment this.

I'll have you know I am a highly-developed and ultra-modern piece of technology.

then I smile and tell them it's set in France, and if there's interest beyond that I say that it's nominally set somewhere near Paris and features a set of sidings belonging to a paper factory. I then explain that there's no real pattern to the shunting, it's largely random but does follow certain "rules" in that sidings have to be worked in a specific manner, with propelling moves, run rounds etc.

Full marks.

I have been to many exhibitions and I can't remember anyone operating any of the layouts at them spontaneously providing any information while I was standing watching. My earlier comment reflects my experience.

...R

Edited by Robin2

I was more worried about the balloon being more shaped like a pair of testi...  testic...  C*ck & Ba!!s, rather than R101.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane

Full marks.

I have been to many exhibitions and I can't remember anyone operating any of the layouts at them spontaneously providing any information while I was standing watching. My earlier comment reflects my experience.

...R

I've tried many, many times. After Saturday lunchtime, this is usually appreciated. First morning of any show though and people look at you like you've gone mad. They silently make it clear that they do not wish to have their grumpy examination of your modelling interupted.

And woe betide you if you dare to correct their, usually hopelessly wrong, explanation to the person standing next to them of the way you have made something...

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

My favourite trick, and this is something that I have 'form' for, is to put up an information board showing a pack of lies an inventive bit of history to justify the layout, and listen to people assure their friends that they remember catching the train from there many years ago.

• Like 1

Full marks.

...R

You've never watched Croft Depot at an Exhibition then.

You will normally be bored rigid by been given a couple of files of information that has aerial phots showing the models location in relation to Darlington & the ECML, then & now photographs, explanations of the history of the line and it's traffic, phots of how some of the rolling stock was built and drawings showing the building of the layout from conception to completion.

If your still with us after all of that, you are given the controller to have a go and then sit a small "have you been listening" examination.

That's why it takes three of us to operate a layout that is just over 43 inches wide with one loco in steam.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

. . and listen to people assure their friends that they remember catching the train from there many years ago.

;) We've had that with several layouts and even had one chap tell us we hadn't made it up as he passed that level crossing on the way to school!

I like a separate info board with just enough to start a conversation plus not block the layout while you read it.

Making eye contact with a friendly smile, not insane grin ;) usually lets them know you're open to questions and I just say, excuse me while I just uncouple this, if I need to concentrate for a moment. Front or back operation doesn't matter it's acknowledgment of your audience that matters and that can start with the info or fiction ;)

There are some great ideas for layouts and presentation so it should be good :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

" Now that the base boards are complete and the lighting is finished, I'll start on the track plan. The trap points are going here and here........"

post-14122-0-84181800-1494262919.gif

Edited by nhy581

Full marks.

...R

Alongside the above replies, there are many layouts which use the flip card 'next movement' which gives a short explanation - & these can be used to ask questions if people want to.  As Phil points out though, there are lots of people who don't like their silence being disturbed. Probably the same ones who then go home and claim it was an 'unfriendly' show when back safely behind their keyboard.

Keep the topic going though, I'm currently keeping myself happy with the amount of projects I have on the go, but I do have a concept which would fit the bill and nicely cover off a few things I want to test that my current build doesn't...

• RMweb Premium

A good friend of mine is brilliant at communication with viewers when he operates layouts at exhibitions. If he sees a youngster watching him doing some shunting, he will start asking them which trucks he should shunt next and where he should put them. So the bad trucks go in the naughty siding, the good trucks go in the nice siding and so on. The youngsters have to decide which trucks are good or naughty and what the different sidings should be called.

I get engrossed watching him in action and he always has the crowd totally hooked.

I am not convinced that it is truly prototypical but it works for me.

Edited by t-b-g
  • Like 1

Cammy O' Riley built the first one.

Just a thought Larry .....your Carrog layout would be a good entry as a Cameo layout and it would be dead easy to achieve. 

1 Put the shed on two layers of concrete blokes

2 Layout to only be viewed through the window (from outside )......

3 Curtains on the windows net would be preferable 

4 Lighting unit above the window 

5 One plug extension lead from the house to a multi gang inside the shed. 

• RMweb Gold

I'm still trying to work that one out too.

There isn't a maximum size, it suggests easily transportable.

So from that something that takes half an hour to set up from the boot of a car is going to have an advantage over one that takes 2 or 3 hours. In theory you could build it in one in an artic but that isn't going to get into the average home or show hall ;)

The loose guidelines leave it to your creativity :)

Really? That is good news if you are planning to construct the station buildings for me.....  :mosking:

Don't think my bodging scratch building would be up to your standard Larry if I had the skill and confidence I'd knock them up no problem  :angel:

• RMweb Gold

I have seen many "cameo" layouts at exhibitions over the years.

Best defined as one than no operating potential and will bore you out of your skull in under five minutes

Nick

Interesting comment.

What sort of layout would you find interesting ?

• RMweb Gold

Best defined as one than no operating potential and will bore you out of your skull in under five minutes

Nick

....and the point of this post is what??

Jerry

I do so find the odd inflammatory post so stimulating.

Perhaps you would like to give up some of your time and explain to us mere mortals how we can build something that satisfies everybody.

Not everybody has the time/space/money/life expectancy to complete something bigger than a cameo and larger doesn't necessarily mean more interesting.

Maybe, as Stubby asks, in model railway terms you could give us your definition of "interesting"?

Maybe, you expect all model railways to be built to satisfy your criteria? I'd contest that would be boring.

Hey Ho.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane