• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, bgman said:

Mange tu ! 

The sequel to ‘Mange one’?

My only query would be is it the A1H or A1D variant? Little known earlier mods to the X (which just meant it had a decoder fitted didn’t it?) ;) 

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

.... After the war, the VoRLR joined the newly-formed Association of Independent Light Railways in 1949, .....

Would that be the ill fated empire cooked up and headed by Captain Holman F Kernow, late of the Merchant Marine and the dredger MV Ferret?

Edited by Neil
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 25/02/2019 at 08:56, Re6/6 said:

I always use quality stuff Grahame.  'Unibond' or 'Tetrion' which also come in grey and beige.

I use the cheapest stuff ready-mixed from B&Q, does for road and yard surfaces, stonework on buildings etc.

Layout is coming on a treat Captain, when might we see it out and about?

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, DLT said:

I use the cheapest stuff ready-mixed from B&Q, does for road and yard surfaces, stonework on buildings etc.

Layout is coming on a treat Captain, when might we see it out and about?

Cheers, Dave.

1 minute ago, Captain Kernow said:

A few months yet, I fear, Dave.

The layout has already got at least one invite..... ;)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

It's a matter of historical record that some 14 LB&SCR A1s and A1Xs were sold out of service to various other railway operators. Some of these became relatively well-known, such as 'Deptford' and 'Shadwell', which were sold to the Edge Hill Light Railway.

LB&SCR numbers 681 and 683, 'Beulah' and 'Earlswood' respectively were amongst a number of 'Terriers' that were sold to the Admiralty in 1918 and these two went to the naval refuelling station at Invergordon, where they worked on the internal railway system there for a few years.

In 1923 both were bought by Col. Stephens for the impecunious Shropshire & Montgomeryshire Light Railway, where they became that railway's numbers 7 and 9 and were renamed 'Hecate' and 'Dido' respectively.

The locomotives didn't work for very long on the S&MR and were photographed 'laid up' and partially dismantled in the early 1930s. It is likely that they would then have been scrapped in due course, had it not been for a chance visit by Joshua Cuthbertson, General Manager of the Vale of Radnor Light Railway to Kinnerley on the S&MR, on his way back to Radnor from a family visit in Lancashire.

Cuthbertson was convinced that the two locomotives could be repaired and contacted a cousin of his, who occupied a senior position within the LM&SR at Crewe Works.

A deal was done and the component parts of 'Hecate' and Dido' were subsequently transported from Kinnerley to Crewe Works in the summer of 1933. They were refurbished and re-assembled as part of an apprentice training programme. It seems likely that some of the cost of these works was born by the wealthy Cuthbertson family, who even then were propping up the ailing financial fortunes of the VoRLR. The two locomotives were worked under their own steam from Crewe to the GWR shed at Leominster, from where they were hauled to Capel Bethesda in the daily pick-up goods service by one of Leominster's Dean Goods.

Once transferred onto the VoRLR, they were renamed 'Radnorshire' (the former 'Hecate') and 'Bethesda', (the former Dido) and were put to work on the light railway without further ado, where for some years they formed the only viable motive power, allowing the venerable Taffson, Evans & Jenkins saddle tank 'Rhondda' of 1878 to be sold for scrap.

After the war, the VoRLR joined the newly-formed Association of Independent Light Railways in 1949, which allowed a limited exchange of motive power and other rolling stock between various railways and it is known that 'Bethesda' certainly spent a few years on loan to the South Polden Light Railway in Somerset in the 1950s.

Where did you dig up that load of old bolleaux?:biggrin_mini2:

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Re6/6 said:

He's a bit displeased at the moment!

Slightly happier now that I've ordered some wheels for the next 14XX chassis.

7 minutes ago, Re6/6 said:

Where did you dig up that load of old bolleaux?:biggrin_mini2:

I'll give you two guesses.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

How did that just happen? I thought I'd co*ked up the joining procedure.

Edit - weird - just now only the last two posts were in the yellow tint but now they all are.

Edited by Captain Kernow

3 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Clearly I'm just a yellow-bellied neo-captialist running dog.

With an Olympic Gold Medal !

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Having previously sprayed all of the track a 'track' colour, I have finally made a start on the painting and weathering of the track proper.

Each sleeper is to be brush painted and/or dry brushed to provide some variation and then the rail sides will be painted.

After further testing to ensure the layout still functions OK, I can then start the ballasting, weeds and other ground cover.

Nothing exciting to show at the moment, so no photos just yet.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

11 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Following your new rise to your highly esteemed membership level, m'lud, will you be painting all the sleepers a shade of gold?

Bit OTT Stu, but maybe a topping out ceremony with a Gold Spike would suffice ?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Us poor foc’sle hands should be rejoicin as our cap’n’s swaggering along the Quay impressing lubbers with a flash of gold. “Sign me on for yer next cruise” they sez.

Edited by Northroader
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

A bit dull, really, but I've been continuing to paint the track. Each individual sleeper is being painted and/or dry-brushed and then the rail sides will be painted.

Once that's all done and tested again OK, I will do the ballasting.

The scene earlier this afternoon:

20190413_162218.jpg.214713dd60b848b00956452f354158aa.jpg

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 3