14 minutes ago, Siberian Snooper said:

My only advice to good track building is not to rush and test at every stage. The 1st test will probably be a wheel set and then a bogie, followed by a short wheelbase wagon and progress upwards. An 0-6-0 chassis without a motor is a good test, that is one that tends to highlight problems. 

I recall Cyril Freezer recommended a short test train in the Modeller , decades ago . He used a Rivarrosi  short wheelbase  0-4-0 with long wheelbase vans/wagons . He said the combination of long and short wheelbases would wobble , hunt  and show up any faults .

If I remember correctly the 0-4-0 was a B & O “switcher”’with Walschaerts valve gear .

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Nick C said:

To add another answer to @Graham T's question, I've used British Finescale OO-SF pointwork with Peco bullhead plain track.

Thanks Nick, that's another option I've been considering, partly because of the cost of the C&L track.  The stuff I build doesn't really seem accurate enough to warrant the extra expense on the plain track right now, but we'll see.

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, jollysmart said:

What about actual SMP, sold by Marcway, £46.50 for a box of 10 yards according to their website?

Good point, I have nearly 2 boxes of the stuff, "Type J" I think?

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 14/03/2023 at 10:26, Captain Kernow said:

An Army diesel shunter has worked down the light railway to Bethesda, to await a train of stores due later in the afternoon. This North British 0-4-0 was always kept spotless by the depot, as were all their locos, but this one was a particular favourite of General Sir Tarquin Cadwallader, who seemed to undertake his very frequent tours of inspection, purely in order to be able to drive it.

20230313_152453.jpg.54550c73c468b8511d41c3570515a8b7.jpg

Err bit late spotting this.....do you know what kit the NB shunter is from, please?  Judith Edge?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Captain Kernow said:

I remember, as a teenager, being a bit 'late to the party' as regards Peco Streamline, although I eventually adopted it, but not long after, I found out about SMP.

At a critical moment in my decision to go to EM , I was  shown SMP 00 gauge track alongside the  then current code 100 Peco  00/HO product.  This was 40 years ago . For a while , I wavered as SMP in 00 looked so good . Eventually I went with SMP but in EM  gauge .

Mind  , there were times later when I thought how easy and nice it would be to just plonk an engine down on the track and run it  … usually when there were difficulties in converting a steam engine to the wider gauge .

If starting again  today with Peco code 75 bullhead , it might be different .

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, jollysmart said:

What about actual SMP, sold by Marcway, £46.50 for a box of 10 yards according to their website?

SMP track has thin bases though, so doesn't match with the others.

2 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Is this the stuff that is 3-D printed?

Yep, printed bases with chairs Included, so no gauges needed. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, jollysmart said:

6 hours ago, Tim Dubya said:

Good point, I have nearly 2 boxes of the stuff, "Type J" I think?

5 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

I remember, as a teenager, being a bit 'late to the party' as regards Peco Streamline, although I eventually adopted it, but not long after, I found out about SMP.

I've used SMP since about 1979 and never had a reason to regret it. It doesn't suffer from wheels (even Lima) running on the chairs in the same way that C&L does/did.

3 hours ago, Nick C said:

That's true enough. It's easy to compensate with different thicknesses of trackbed though.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Is this the stuff that is 3-D printed?

13 hours ago, Tim Dubya said:

I think it's this manufacturer?

https://www.britishfinescale.com/category-s/1853.htm

11 hours ago, Nick C said:

Just put some EM ones together last week, early cast crossing ones and later rail fabricated ones and they went together in a few minutes, they do appear to curl a little but once glued down seem to be quite stable. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Nick C said:

I'm wondering if they are the same people who do a printed sleeper base for pointwork in P4, which some friends in the local Area Group had a look at recently.

The product is impressive for the price offered (in contrast with the expense of the Exactoscale product - formerly P4 Track Co.), but I have reservations about the brittleness of the plastic and how that would last over time.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Nick C said:

But so does the printed stuff so a close match I suspect and easily dealt with.

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

I'm wondering if they are the same people who do a printed sleeper base for pointwork in P4, which some friends in the local Area Group had a look at recently.

The product is impressive for the price offered (in contrast with the expense of the Exactoscale product - formerly P4 Track Co.), but I have reservations about the brittleness of the plastic and how that would last over time.

All British Finescale according to the Scalefour society.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Yep, that's the one - British Finescale, they've just released the P4 version, having done OO, OO-SF and EM for a couple of years now. I can't answer for longevity as the oldest ones I have are only about 18 months, but he's been doing N gauge ones for a decade or so as I understand it - so presumably no problems.

May I offer you my experiences of OO-SF at this point......

Thank you for making that post. A couple of years ago I replaced some RTP track with bullhead and copperclad points built to SF standards. Some things were happy running, others definitely not and I note couple are on your list.  A bit disheartening and I put it down to probably indifferent tackbuilding skills and moved on so interesting to learn you've had issues.

While here a couple of questions if I may.

Do you have any bufferlocking problems with the baby Warship and Hymek when pushing stock through pointwork curves ?

And you have some neat looking screwlinks on your stock, can I ask whose makes them.

Cheers

Stu

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, lapford34102 said:

Thank you for making that post. A couple of years ago I replaced some RTP track with bullhead and copperclad points built to SF standards. Some things were happy running, others definitely not and I note couple are on your list.  A bit disheartening and I put it down to probably indifferent tackbuilding skills and moved on so interesting to learn you've had issues.

While here a couple of questions if I may.

Do you have any bufferlocking problems with the baby Warship and Hymek when pushing stock through pointwork curves ?

And you have some neat looking screwlinks on your stock, can I ask whose makes them.

Cheers

Stu

Generally no buffer locking problems, but I tend not to need to propel much through the actual crossover. 

The screw links are mostly Smiths, with an Exactoscale steel end link.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
On 04/09/2023 at 15:15, Nick C said:

I've got a layout with an OO-SF A5 crossover (BF kit), and a Heljan 33, but I've not yet tried running the latter on the former - I shall have to dig it out of it's box and try it...

I got the 33 out today, it's quite happy through the crossover - and the double slip on the other layout. It's D6580, from the first time they released it (in case different versions have different wheel profiles...)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...