A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

Bethesda Sidings

11 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Well, I may calculate the percentage of 'good 'uns' verses 'bad 'uns' at some stage, but I have had my fair share of poor runners.

And it's not as if I haven't given them plenty of time running in, either.

I am a self confessed kit builder but cannot do anything but admire the quality of both the detail and livery finish of modern locos, but if I were parting with £90 or £100 on a new loco I would expect it to run faultlessly, lets face it when we opened up the box of our Hornby Dublo or Triang loco they both ran and took a lot of child play abuse and still worked. Even my old Airfix GMR locos ran well out of the box and continued to do so (I had grown out of throwing them across the room by then). None of these were expensive locos

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps I should qualify what I mean by a 'poor runner'.

My layouts are not very large and consequently, speeds need to be slow.

I also like shunting.

This needs good controlability and smooth running at slow speeds, from a really slow crawl up to (say) a scale 10 to 15 mph or so. Locos also need to have good pick-up and not to stall.

Some of the best running RTR locos that I've acquired recently include:

- Heljan 05

- Dapol B4

- 1 of my Hornby Pecketts, the other two have tight spots

- Hattons 'P' 0-6-0T

Unfortunately, Bachmann steam locos are some of the most inconsistent runners I have come across. I've seen examples of the same type (eg. 64XX) running really sweetly and another is a pig.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'd be happy to pay more for locos that have really good, quality mechanisms that will run slowly and smoothly consistently.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have now started to build the High Level chassis for the 74XX. Early days yet and no photos so far, but the bits that I have soldered yesterday went together really well.

In the meantime, here's a photo of Peckett 'Plantagenet' resting at Bethesda yard, having worked down the light railway from Llanddewi:

20200209_163214.jpg.85b0ca52376802ff815402c52a91749d.jpg

Due to the gradients up the light railway from Capel Bethesda, all locos operate up the valley with the chimney 'facing north'.

Similarly, the gradients on the BR line from Leominster and Kington mean that BR locos should arrive in Bethesda yard 'chimney leading'.

• Like 12

28 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

No longer.

'Engine Wood' now resides in the Republic of Ireland.

Doh ! Senior moment !!!:wacko:

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, bgman said:

Looking good CK, purely out of curiosity who's horn blocks do you / will you use ?

Well, Chris Gibbon actually provides his own High Level hornblocks as part of the kit, so I will be using those.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Further progress on the 74XX chassis as of yesterday:

20200326_160804.jpg.a5d1972b4f8405e9f1feb00b5fed6970.jpg

Today I fitted the twin-beam compensation and finally had the wheels and axles sitting on the compensation system, as they are designed to do:

20200328_145115.jpg.6f639205c2e8e91b32b05b0c1f956ab1.jpg

20200328_145216.jpg.938c3d498d1d45ebfee2b9e332b1cc80.jpg

I cannot praise the High Level product enough. Virtually all the parts fitted together 'right first time'.

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

2 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

The crew of 2538 are probably in the shunters' cabin, having a brew and a round of cards:

20200209_165229_s.jpg.da288805e35a38b44ce86a3df321cc75.jpg

Would that be Brooke Bond tea and are they trading swops from their card collections ?

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, bgman said:

Would that be Brooke Bond tea and are they trading swops from their card collections ?

Knowing the Captain it will be herbal tea.;)

• Funny 2