The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Cyber 'kidnapping'.

DDolfelin

• RMweb Gold

I read not long ago that there are nuclear submarines still in service with their computer systems based on XP. Anybody heard from one recently?

There was this MoD scare in 2009.  I never heard any real details of which OS's were affected.  Do they still have D-notices these days?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7839034.stm

Out of the frying pan and into the fire maybe : https://blog.malwarebytes.com/cybercrime/2016/03/first-mac-ransomware-spotted/

Al

I wouldn't have thought anyone would be using Torrents on a NHS computer? Plus it has been dealt with and is easy to remove. The attacks I believe were from a email with a attachment which had a executable file in them (.exe) you don't of course have these files on a Mac OSX. 

not wanting to bring politics into this and force a lockdown but i note our esteemed secretary of state for health is front and center in the media  showing how strong and stable his leadership on this is after he cut the IT support budget for the NHS ? 

or not .......................................

• Like 1

I lay a large part of the blame for this at the door of the mainstream computer industry which has made itself fundamentally based on the economic model of continuous upgrades. Unfortunately for the IT industry, software does not "wear out" so they have to resort to strong arm tactics to make people change both hardware and software.

That might be true for desktop PCs, but most commercial software products don't work that way. You just pay an annual charge for support for the software licenses irrespective of the version you use.

Killing support for older versions seems to be more about the vendor limiting the number of different versions they have to maintain and release patches for. Some products have been around for 25+ years, so it would get very expensive for them to maintain every single past version (and this would be passed on to the customer). 

just proves that there is no real replacement for proper paperwork to backup the computer. What would happen if the power was shut down.

You run off the UPS batteries for a few minutes until the backup generators automatically start up? I worked somewhere that lost the mains feed to the site and ran off generators for several weeks. 

• RMweb Gold

not wanting to bring politics into this and force a lockdown but i note our esteemed secretary of state for health is front and center in the media  showing how strong and stable his leadership on this is after he cut the IT support budget for the NHS ? 

or not .......................................

Jeremy Hunt was deemed a critical risk to the NHS. He's been switched off and awaits an upgrade to "human with common sense".

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The NHS is said to be the 5th largest employer in the world. Why does it need to buy a flawed operating system from Microsoft - or anywhere else?

Why not write its own operating system?

Martin.

The NHS is said to be the 5th largest employer in the world. Why does it need to buy a flawed operating system from Microsoft - or anywhere else?

Why not write its own operating system?....

I'd like to see that get past NHS management.

Why not write its own operating system?

Martin.

I can only assume you don't work in IT...

steve

Jeremy Hunt was deemed a critical risk to the NHS. He's been switched off and awaits an upgrade to "human with common sense".

Apparently you can reboot him in Safe Mode by sticking a pencil in his ear. ;)

• RMweb Gold

I can only assume you don't work in IT...

True. But I have in the past written a file system at the disk sector level, and a full control system for numerical control machines.

If employees of Microsoft can write an operating system, I don't see why employees of the NHS couldn't do the same? It would contain a few bugs, but the rest of the world wouldn't know about them.

Martin.

This country has a lamentable record of managing large public sector IT projects. I assume as they've got many NHS systems back up quite quickly they've a solid back-up regime and used it. Doesn't mitigate the disruption to individuals but avoids giving in to these crooks.

Worth reminding everyone they should back up their system regularly or at the very least have copies of what they can't afford to lose.

Stu

Edited by lapford34102

Excuse my ignorance, but why haven't the anti-virus vendors (or any third-party) produced products that plug the known loop-holes in XP? (Not that they warrant their products, in the same way Domestos never killed the worst 1% of harmful germs).

There are plenty of reasons why large organisations cannot afford or risk of upgrading to every latest flavour of operating systems, and I'm sure the NHS probably has many critical systems that provide resistance to migration. Before the computer age, the charge against suppliers was "built in obsolescence", which ought to stand against the likes of Microsoft as long as their older systems retain a significant user base. Why should the NHS be forced to pay millions of pounds on upgrades for no commensurate performance enhancement?

I remember complaining to one of the High Street Banks that I couldn't access their new and improved on-line banking from a client site as it was incompatible with the out-dated version of Internet Explorer that existed. The bank's technician admitted that they had the same problem internally, as the bank itself was still running the same old version itself, outside the web development teams. Which probably explains why every upgraded version of their on-line banking released was no better than a beta test phase...

• RMweb Premium

True. But I have in the past written a file system at the disk sector level, and a full control system for numerical control machines.

If employees of Microsoft can write an operating system, I don't see why employees of the NHS couldn't do the same? It would contain a few bugs, but the rest of the world wouldn't know about them.

Martin.

Design by Committee? Perhaps they should also design their own fleet of cars, after all they presumably own enough to make it worthwhile. 5 wheels, 4 at the front & one at the rear! Since glass breaks & cuts people, no windows.

Seriously, the NHS (or any other corporation) needs to spend money on what it does best - provide health in their case.

If its true that the Minister responsible, didn't provide the funds to upgrade or maintain the existing system, then resignation is the only answer. Along with the funds supplied to do the job properly, by a replacement minister..

• RMweb Gold

Design by Committee? Perhaps they should also design their own fleet of cars, after all they presumably own enough to make it worthwhile

Well yes -- if it turns out that the ones they can buy contain a flaw which brings their entire operations to a halt.

How happy it must be to lie on the operating table knowing that the surgeon is relying on Microsoft Windows to control the operation.

p.s. a reliable car needs 6 wheels, not 5. 4 underneath, a spare in the back, and one to steer with.

Martin.

• RMweb Premium

Well yes -- if it turns out that the ones they can buy contain a flaw which brings their entire operations to a halt.

How happy it must be to lie on the operating table knowing that the surgeon is relying on Microsoft Windows to control the operation.

p.s. a reliable car needs 6 wheels, not 5. 4 underneath, a spare in the back, and one to steer with.

Martin.

But its a known flaw (for which they ought to have been paying for extended customised support) - so no surprise that they got hit. Contingency plans is what they ought to have. Probably the cheapest plan, is to have up to date software/equipment. I do work with a lot of obsolete equipment (phone systems), but since older ones aren't connected to the internet, the risk of hacking is zero.

A lot of medical equipment is computer assisted these days, the trick is to make sure its secure - the NHS appeared to have failed here.

As for the car comments, fact is designing software or vehicles from scratch, aren't nor should they, be a core service of the NHS.

• RMweb Gold

fact is designing software or vehicles from scratch, aren't nor should they, be a core service of the NHS.

That's not a fact, it's an opinion. Just because something isn't your core business doesn't necessarily mean you can't usefully do other things.

The Great Western Railway used to make its own door knobs.

Martin.

• RMweb Gold

That's not a fact, it's an opinion. Just because something isn't your core business doesn't necessarily mean you can't usefully do other things.

Martin.

They also used to make artificial limbs for those affected by their Health and Safety practices.................

Martin.

But did the GWR design its own door knobs from scratch using a different design and principle to other door knobs?  As far as I know, GWR door knobs still required the same fixings (screws) as other door knobs and were still vulnerable to the same failings at the screw/wood interface!

• Like 1