Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Why did 60078 have a First logo on one end?

In looking to weather my Hornby model of 60078 as it was around 2007, I notice that at this time the locomotive carried a small First logo on one end.  Can anyone enlighten me as to when this logo was applied and why?

The logo I am referring to can be seen in this photograph on Flickr - https://www.flickr.com/photos/rob37430/6688982529/in/photolist-bc5MsZ-5R8zLV-h2m3sL-mPoNTr-eQKbgh-bc5M6e-bc5LVM-eQKbau-eQKaYQ-eQxNav-eQKaQ7-5TrsW2-bc5MZk-b625kn-aTS7Uk-4Eib5P-qbHEyc-6gK7Bv-bc5Ncp-dc8aio-9Wv9wj-oZWWMG-bc5MKF-gYRAxj-T9tKxU-bc5N7e-cjeq4S-bc5Nip-T9tKxo-cm5hbj-2r8W2p-aGVm5D-cgVdeb-4intmz-hmN3t2-bz1byY-m77eQR-boy7qY-bc5MTg-fo72jj-5yQVLQ-NzgAF-bkc8P7-9XCCUQ-cgUYqE-c55Hz7-BDKzdF-br7oLS-bFAR6z-4JREMU

There are however many others.

In looking to weather my Hornby model of 60078 as it was around 2007, I notice that at this time the locomotive carried a small First logo on one end.  Can anyone enlighten me as to when this logo was applied and why?

The logo I am referring to can be seen in this photograph on Flickr - https://www.flickr.com/photos/rob37430/6688982529/in/photolist-bc5MsZ-5R8zLV-h2m3sL-mPoNTr-eQKbgh-bc5M6e-bc5LVM-eQKbau-eQKaYQ-eQxNav-eQKaQ7-5TrsW2-bc5MZk-b625kn-aTS7Uk-4Eib5P-qbHEyc-6gK7Bv-bc5Ncp-dc8aio-9Wv9wj-oZWWMG-bc5MKF-gYRAxj-T9tKxU-bc5N7e-cjeq4S-bc5Nip-T9tKxo-cm5hbj-2r8W2p-aGVm5D-cgVdeb-4intmz-hmN3t2-bz1byY-m77eQR-boy7qY-bc5MTg-fo72jj-5yQVLQ-NzgAF-bkc8P7-9XCCUQ-cgUYqE-c55Hz7-BDKzdF-br7oLS-bFAR6z-4JREMU

There are however many others.

I believe 60008 had an F logo bodyside

• RMweb Premium

I believe 60008 had an F logo bodyside

Well that answers the original question doesn't it. In answer to the question, according to Someone on the Class 60 Facebook page, GBRf borrowed several Class 60's from Mainline prior to their Class 66's arriving from DRS, so they had this small label to show this.

• RMweb Gold

Well that answers the original question doesn't it. In answer to the question, according to Someone on the Class 60 Facebook page, GBRf borrowed several Class 60's from Mainline prior to their Class 66's arriving from DRS, so they had this small label to show this.

I worked for GB at that time and I pretty certain we didn't hire any 60s, intact I thing first had sold GB by the time the 66/4s came

I would hazard a guess about the first striker and probably put it down to someone having a laugh

Back in the 80s as a secondman we were stood at a signal near Saltburn and on the bankside was a bit of wood with a circuit of Ireland rally sticker on it. I peeled it off and stuck it between the dots on 20144s headcode box.

It was on for ages I've seen it on pictures but never on a model

According to Someone on the Class 60 Facebook page, GBRf borrowed several Class 60's from Mainline prior to their Class 66's arriving from DRS, so they had this small label to show this.

That sounds plausible, but I understand that First Group owned GBRf from August 2003 to June 2010.  I don't think the transfer of Class 66/4 locomotives from DRS occurred until 2011 and the photograph that I linked to is dated 2007. As such, I doubt that it has anything to do with the arrival of the ex-DRS locomotives.  Also, Mainline Freight were acquired from BR by EWS in 1996, so any lease deal would have to have been between EWS and First Group between circa 2003 (when First Group acquired GBRf) and 2006 (I think I've seen a 2006 photograph showing this First logo).

Perhaps as others have suggested, it has no significance.  However, it looks like I probably need to find someone who does an appropriate transfer.  I'm hoping Railtec do one.

• RMweb Gold

I joined in 05 and left in 11 we never had 60s other than the odd time we worked EWS trains but that was crew hire to them and rarely happened

Guys

I also remember a class 56 with a first F on it I think that it is possible these locos were fueled or had a light service at a first depot and the staff have stuck a first logo on them was there anywhere a long from from an EWS depot where locos were serviced regularly I want to say the South West can anybody confirm this

Dave

There's a few Mendip boxes with "Ah Eddie" on the end too, along with "Help", "The Wantage Ram", "The Beast of Whatley" and "Kitten Mittons" on various others.

As for the 60 with the First F, I'd heard it was just stuck on for fun. Seeing some of the things written inside loco cabs, nothing would surprise me. All the refurb 60s have the original name written above the windscreens for starters and most of the 66s have little phrases, some more understandable and witty than others. 66250 has "The last one", for example

Jo

On the international military airshow circuit it was quite common for visiting aircraft at a base to be "zapped" with the logo/crest of the hosting squadron. Something along the same lines could well happen with loco service centres putting their own signature on a visiting engine.

Dave R. 

• RMweb Gold

nidge and russ may have also seen the stickers knocking round the midlands at various signals etc, old style BR depot stickers with BB 'Been Boffed' on them

not sure who or what BOFF is but they are all over the place

• RMweb Gold

nidge and russ may have also seen the stickers knocking round the midlands at various signals etc, old style BR depot stickers with BB 'Been Boffed' on them

not sure who or what BOFF is but they are all over the place

I've not actually seen that Jim

From the answers so far, it looks as though there was probably no meaning to the application First logo, but I have found a photograph of 60078 taken on 1 May 2005 (before the 'big beastie' body side vinyls were applied which shows the First logo, so application must have been earlier than May 2005.  It therefore clearly carried this for some time.

http://www.railwayherald.co.uk/imagingcentre/view/171248/LC

Archived