Class 205 in Conjunction with Kernow Model Shop

• RMweb Premium

I've dug out the previous thread so hopefully all the new info about the Kernow Thumpers will end up in one place...

The latest news on the Kernow website http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/page/61/Class_205_Thumper_Unit is that the BR Blue ones have been deferred and the first batch does now include the NSE one (K2002), along with the two all over green (with and without orange V on the front of the DMBS (K2003/DS and K2007/DS). It seems there will only be one roof profile in the initial batch (with cable conduits) and so later numbered units have wait for a second batch.

That's unfortunate for me as I'm interested in one or both of Green with SYP and BR Blue. In terms of sales, I do hope Kernow has chosen the right way to go for the first batch...

• RMweb Premium

The wait for the Thumper units has been uncommonly long but credit where due to Kernow for keeping us abreast of the news as and when there is some. Ironically if the manufacture had stayed with Dapol we would still likely not have the units on the horizon yet as they would probably still be in the queue with the JIAs, Tigers, 600s and (now imminent) weathered class 22s.

• 1 month later...

Thought a little update of sorts would be of interest!.

Latest (Spring 2012) Bahmann Collectors Club magazine states the Thumper has "progressed to the tool room".

At least it is still progressing, albeit as slowly as it feels!.. :unsure:

• 2 months later...

Saw the sample at Showcase, there are a few small issues but this is not the finished model, much detail included. This was the first batch with roof mounted lighting conduits.

Cheers.

Hi Paul. Hope you don't mind but what where the small issues on the sample you saw?

Steve

Steve,

I saw nothing on my first viewing, but someone else pointed me to several. The M/C had a trailer bogie at the non cab end instead of the motor bogie (both motor heavy duty type on DEMUs), the M/C cab doors were not inward opening, some questions about the interiors corridoor layout etc which I have not checked, is all I can remember. But this is still at the stage of corrections.

Looks very nice.

Cheers.

There is a update on Kernow's news letter that I recieved today

John

The Newsletter also contains a good illustration of their advance order pricing policy which contrasts somewhat with another suppliers' approach,about which much has been written on this forum.

RP

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I have to say that the test shot looks very good indeed and with the few minor tweaks which are required (as is normal at this stage in the process) I am anticipating another superbly-rendered model from our friends in Camborne and Barwell.

True to life the gap between the cars is wide - wider than on contemporary electric units which might cause a few unknowing eyebrows to be raised) and offering an option on fitting seats in the end compartment rather than having them already moulded in makes for as much flexibility as we might possibly expect at the price.

Roll on the painted samples. And then the finished article which won't be too far away now though still perhaps Christmas at the earliest.

• 2 months later...

This weeks Kernow newsletter has an up date on THUMBER now price has gone up to £129 for new pre orders and when released £139. Also date is now showing as early 2013, its a shame that something like this has taken so long to come around and we are still waiting. I am sure it will be good and I hope 2013 date will be met.

To be honest that's good news for me. My Bank Manager must already think that I don't know how to manage my finances so as the all blue one is not due to be in the first batch released then it gives me a chance to get back into credit before Kernow come knocking on my door.

• RMweb Premium

The £129 price is still £20 cheaper than they were being offered at in the earlier stages. That is worth remembering when we mutter about "constant rises". Kernow has also advised that owing to continued cost increases being passed on from China that they are no longer taking pre-orders for models not due in the first batch but will re-open those for order once they have a firm price on later batches.

All existing orders are honoured at the price current on date of order except that any orders which were placed at the original £149 price and were reduced when production switched to Bachmann will stay at the reduced price, tax rate changes excepted.

These will be well worth the very long wait when they arrive. That might be very late this year and "early 2013" is erring on the side of caution. Much will depend upon what (if anything) has to be corrected, and how many times, as the various samples are inspected.

• 2 weeks later...

regarding replacing 205 cabs to create a 207, 207's body profile is also smaller, as clearances were smaller on the routes run by the oxted units originally. to see the difference, look at the differences when the CEP coach was added to some of the units

Edited by 47606odin

• RMweb Premium

Class 207 (3D) units were built to an intermediate width. They were 8' 6" over bodies and 9' 0" overall (which includes railings and handles) when 9' 0" over body and 9' 3" overall was the standard. This is somewhat more generous than the "Hastings Line gauge" of 8' 2½" over body and 9' 0" overall.

The need for a small class of units to these dimensions arose from the need to pass through Grove Tunnel between the two Tunbridge Wells stations. This is of substandard width but not as restrictive as the relined and narrowed bores between Tunbridge Wells and Hastings which more severely restricted just that section of line.

The 3D (East Sussex) units - the "D" arises from the last letter of "Oxted" upon which service group the units were normally employed - replaced narrow-bodied steam stock on these routes and could be found working Tunbridge Wells - Eridge / Brighton, London - Oxted - East Grinstead / Brighton via Uckfield and related services. The exact pattern varied over the years and changed as lines steadily closed.

Standard width stock was permitted as far as Tunbridge Wells West station via Groombridge (and 3H units could often be found berthed at TWW between weekday peak London turns) but not beyond and could thus not reach Central nor Tonbridge and London via the main line. 3D units were permitted through Wells Tunnel and thus reached Tonbridge on occasions.

You cannot build a class 207 from a 205. The entire bodies are different. Not only different widths but with a different internal layout. The 205 (3H) has DMBS+TS+DTCL while a 207 (3D) had DMBS+TCL+DTS. All accommodation was open except first class. Unusually for the SR the TCL in a class 207 had the first class compartments amidships with two small second class saloons either side.

Some interesting images of Grove Tunnel at this link. Please note posting this link in no way condones potentially unlawful activities sometimes associated with the organisation concerned.

http://www.subbrit.o...ove/index.shtml

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 1