Class 205 in Conjunction with Kernow Model Shop

It's been four years (my order is dated 10/03/2009) since the project was first announced to the public and the wait will have been worthwhile.

I'd forgotten it had been that long! 

Do Kernow operate on a price-promise basis?  Back in 2009, they were selling them at £109.99; I have a feeling that's a guaranteed price (VAT increases excluded), which was why they stopped taking pre-orders for some of them as they weren't sure what would happen with prices.  However, with the quality we're looking at, I wouldn't personally quibble at an increase, especially as Kernow are obviously re-investing in high quality limited editions. 

Once again, as with the Realtrack 143 & 144 and the Dapol Western, taking time with development has paid dividends. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Do Kernow operate on a price-promise basis?  Back in 2009, they were selling them at £109.99; I have a feeling that's a guaranteed price (VAT increases excluded)

I believe so.  The price quoted on the date your order was received is the price you pay (though your account on their site will show the currently-advertised price) with the exception of the adjustment for the change in VAT rate.  The price has stepped up a couple of times since 2009 but Kernow has somewhere back in the past mentioned that orders will be honoured at the original price.  That is in part to acknowledge the loyalty of customers who have waited up to four years from ordering.

I think that when I ordered mine (18/2/09) the price was expected to be £149 odd, and it was to Kernow's credit that when they switched the project from Dapol to Bachmann they dropped the price to the £109 mark and only had to increase it again as production costs rose. When they phoned me the other day to update my card details, they told me that I as I had waited 4 years I would receive the 205 at a favourable price - which I think is actually really very fair of them.

Having travelled on the full size versions for 30 odd years, I never expected to eagerly anticipate the arrival of another one...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The only price falls were of the units being released in the first batch.  Kernow has said all along that the price for later ones would be reduced from £149 if possible but they are holding that as the advertised price for now.  Remember that they also never take any money until the goods are in the packing room so you are not out of pocket now for something which you won't see for months (or years) but neither do they have to ask you for  top-up payment if circumstances change as has been the case with some other businesses.

• RMweb Premium

I think that when I ordered mine (18/2/09) the price was expected to be £149 odd, and it was to Kernow's credit that when they switched the project from Dapol to Bachmann they dropped the price to the £109 mark and only had to increase it again as production costs rose.

I ordered mine around the same time, then cancelled (due to changes in the liveries or product numbers I think?) and re-ordered 19/07/2011 at £119.99.

Email just received to say it is packed and in the mail room - Yippeeeeeeeee!

Just the Class 41 (ordered at the same time) to wait for now  :lol: .

Hi everyone,

A preview video of Kernow's sound-fitted Thumper is now on Youtube:

"Kernow Model Rail Centre Class 205 Thumper OO Gauge seen during test. The sounds have been tweaked since this sample was produced but should give a good idea of what the final version will be like. Features include doors slamming, flange squeal, guards bell and loudaphone buzz, horns or whistle according to prototype, all of which can be activated by the relevant DCC function."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gJa-pqOdJxA 

Best wishes,

David

Edited by dcroz
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

And very good it is too.  Allow for a little echo because it's filmed inside a garage (a setting many of us will be familiar with!) and I could wish I was in a position to play with sound-equipped trains myself.   10/10.

Great stuff, cant wait to receive my sound fitted version. I think the video has the order numbers mixed up - 1108 BR Green (31-236ZDS), 1115 BR Green with V (31-235ZDS), at least I hope so or I've ordered the wrong one.

Great stuff, cant wait to receive my sound fitted version. I think the video has the order numbers mixed up - 1108 BR Green (31-236ZDS), 1115 BR Green with V (31-235ZDS), at least I hope so or I've ordered the wrong one.

Yes, I noticed that too. I think they just made an error in the captions.

• RMweb Gold

There's a photo (dated 1987 IIRC) of a pair 2 car 205's at Waterloo in 'British Railway Pictorial Southern Region DEMU's' by Kevin Robinson et al, OK they aren't in NSE but they are in the NSE time period.  If we are only going to get 2 coach sets then it's these I'll be hankering for.

• RMweb Gold

There's a photo (dated 1987 IIRC) of a pair 2 car 205's at Waterloo in 'British Railway Pictorial Southern Region DEMU's' by Kevin Robinson et al, OK they aren't in NSE but they are in the NSE time period.  If we are only going to get 2 coach sets then it's these I'll be hankering for.

I just noticed that on page 70 of the above mentioned book there is a NSE 2H credited in a picture (behind the 207 at Appledore) alas no number but it's perhaps an indication of the existence of a 2 car 'toothpaste' 205 :yes:  

• RMweb Premium

I'm still hoping that we'll get a three car in blue/grey. I certainly don't have any spare cash at the moment, so can't 'support' the project by buying units I don't 'need'.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Price promise from Kernow gets a big thumbs up from me, I just upgraded my order on the plain green unit to sound and still get the discount, me happy, wallet not so happy ;)

I doubt you can do it on the V version as they are shipping but anyone else interested it's worth giving the very helpful chaps at Kernow a buzz.

I recently enquired to Kernow as to the NSE model as it has disappeared from their website despite my pre-order in 2010, Heres their response...

"The NSE model will be in a later batch as a revised tooling is needed for that particular version. We have temporarily taken it off the website but have kept all pre orders on the system, so don’t worry, yours is still allocated to you."

:imsohappy:

• Like 1

Did any of the Connex versions carry the original Connex SouthCentral or abridged Connex logos? I don't think any Connex SouthCentral units carried the final logo as seen on SE Networkers and buses. I also remember many slam-door units in ghost white and I think some with yellow stripes but no fade outs by the cab. Am I right in thinking the faded yellow stripes wouldn't stick and if so were any Thumpers seen without the yellow fade outs or the ghost white liveries?