Bachmann 94xx

OnTheBranchline

• RMweb Premium

What will he do?  probably write about 2,900 words in the third person.

@Pinehill

The 64xx does not share the same motor as the 94xx. The 64xx is a standard cased motor, not coreless.

https://albionyard.net/2015/04/02/pannier-capers-the-64xx/

NB Gaugemaster recommends that the HH is NOT suitable for coreless motors.

https://www.gaugemasterretail.com/magento/gaugemaster-gmc-hh.html

Edited by PMP
Add GM link
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Re the chassis, these are the three OO Bachmann Pannier chassis’

L to R

94xx coreless 

64/74xx Cased standard

57/8750xx Cased standard (Note this is a Mk1 DC 8750 chassis)

44462C6A-0A0A-4920-AC25-1C10E79EFEC5.jpeg

Edited by PMP
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

Well that will be a problem if Bachman do not make it very clear that this model has a different motor design! There must be loads of people like me that run their locos very successfully with feedback controllers. Is this the first Bachmann with a coreless motor fitted as I have bought many of their models for years without feedback problems. 
After the long delayed wait for this model many will probably give it a miss if changing controller types is required each time they want to run it! Certainly a real pain for me to keep unplugging a different unit each time as all my locos (Bachmann & Hornby) run well with feedback HH & poorly with non feedback! 
Does the new Johnson tank have a coreless motor?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Pinehill said:

Well that will be a problem if Bachman do not make it very clear that this model has a different motor design! 

Bachmann have made it clear that this model is fitted with a coreless motor.

https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/product/gwr-94xx-pannier-tank-9402-gwr-green-(gwr)/35-025

In terms of controllers I’m not a fan of Gaugemasters HH. I had one that failed, repaired under their warranty scheme, and it subsequently failed again. The W controller I’ve found works really well with any motor types, and with the 94xx subject matter of this thread. I’ve used ‘W’s for many years on exhibition layouts with no issues.

Edited by PMP
Controllers info
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, PMP said:

https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/product/gwr-94xx-pannier-tank-9402-gwr-green-(gwr)/35-025

In terms of controllers I’m not a fan of Gaugemasters HH. I had one that failed, repaired under their warranty scheme, and it subsequently failed again. The W controller I’ve found works really well with any motor types, and with the 94xx subject matter of this thread.

Sorry old cap; W controller? Please enlighten me!

Cheers,

ian.

• RMweb Gold

My HH has also failed and, as I rather like it, will be sent back for replacement at about the same time as I come into posession o the round tuit i've been promising myself since the time mummy asked me to clean my bedroom...  I am currently using the backup, which acted as the power supply for the HH, a Silurian era Gaugemaster power controller that describes it self as an 'Electroninc Power Controller' with no model identification.  It works perfectly but is not quite as 'fine' as my HH. 

The coreless motor of the 94xx is a possible issue, and I am aware of it, but TTBOMK Gaugemaster issued their warning at a time when the Portescap, a coreless, was about the only coreless game in town and could, if overloaded by feedback circuitry, burn out quicker than any fuse could protect it, and as it was not cheap to replace, GM rightily warned users.  Modern coreless motors are a bit more robust and should be ok.  Should I run into trouble, I have a spare 57xx motor that could probably replace it.  BTW, thank you PMP for the photo of the 94xx chassis, first I've seen.

Also, good to know I'm not the only one with a scarred and gnarly cutting mat...

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PMP said:

L to R

94xx coreless 

64/74xx Cased standard

Thanks for shewing these @PMP Am I right that looking at the 94xx body that fitting a crew will be as easy as their 8750 class.

39 minutes ago, PMP said:

In terms of controllers I’m not a fan of Gaugemasters HH. I had one that failed, repaired under their warranty scheme, and it subsequently failed again. The W controller I’ve found works really well with any motor types, and with the 94xx subject matter of this thread.

‘Powerful coreless motor’ hardly conveys to the prospective buyer that it may not work with a feedback controller that many may have! I have used Gaugemaster products including several HH units very many years without any problems. Whenever I have tried the non feedback units the locos (Bachmann & Hornby) have run poorly compared to feedback. The two 64xx tanks I have are superb runners with the feedback HH but awful with the equivalent Gaugemaster non feedback unit.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Dont confuse the W and the HH.

they look the same (but have a different colour face).

HH.. a portable controller with feedback (dark face)

W a “normal” portable controller (cream face)

A “W” is like a traditional controller, but you can carry it about.

Admittedly the names arent the best.. HH (Handheld), W (Walkabout) are synonyms for the same thing but neither describes their differences.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

This seems to be the way Bachmann are going  with J72, Midland 0-4-4 , 94XX and Precedent . I’m not sure what the Caley 812 will have . I really hope it isn’t Coreless as although I don’t run feedback controllers I do have HF cleaners which suit me really well.  I suspect the worse though 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Dont confuse the W and the HH.

they look the same (but have a different colour face).

I don’t think anyone is. The respective types are clearly marked on their faceplate as are the WS and Combi which share the same chassis and basic controls.

• RMweb Premium

@gwrrob

The cab looks relatively easy to get crew in and out of. The cab doors are separate accessories. And there’s more space internally because of the prototypically larger cab and no chassis springs inside the cab area. 

@The Johnster

The motor from the 57xx won’t fit this chassis. It’s not a viable replacement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, PMP said:

L to R

94xx coreless 

64/74xx Cased standard

Theres a 4th, Your missing the old split chassis can motor that Bachmann used also on the 57xx

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Theres a 4th, Your missing the old split chassis can motor that Bachmann used also on the 57xx

There’s no current split chassis pannier in the Bachmann range. The three chassis’ illustrated are what you’ll find under any current pannier model in the range.

• Like 1

On 05/12/2020 at 02:10, The Johnster said:

Best ever pub name is in Cornwall, the Bucket of Blood in Hayle Towans.  The story is that a local was murdered outside it one night and his body chucked down the well, 'an when the maid went out in the morning to draw the water, she drew a bucket of blood...'. 

My favourite pub name is "The Last Drop" in Edinburgh, directly beside the spot where public executions by hanging used to trake place. Traditionally the condemned was permitted to stop in the pub for a final drop before the final drop, as it were!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

9F1702D4-7CC0-4EE9-9056-B74B3A721AE2.jpeg.53315ea1f063695bbb54193c15f531a2.jpeg

^^^^ COPYRIGHT Bachmann ^^^

With this model Bachmann have been very clear on suitability for controllers, @Legend looks like it’s turn the cleaners off if practical if using one of these 94’s on your layout.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Pinehill said:

Have you or anyone else used a feedback controller with the newer cordless J72?

Agree there is nothing in the packaging or enclosed documentation to indicate the J72 has any restrictions on its use apart from a warning about high frequency track cleaners. I know when I tried to run-in my J72 on a standard Hornby trainset controller it made a truly horrible noise and was virtually uncontrollable. Happily it was fine on DCC.

32 minutes ago, PMP said:

9F1702D4-7CC0-4EE9-9056-B74B3A721AE2.jpeg.53315ea1f063695bbb54193c15f531a2.jpeg

^^^^ COPYRIGHT Bachmann ^^^

With this model Bachmann have been very clear on suitability for controllers, @Legend looks like it’s turn the cleaners off if practical if using one of these 94’s on your layout.

A bit late after you have bought the thing! Why do electronic track cleaners cause a problem?

• RMweb Gold

I am not expecting any problems with running the 94xx with my GM power controller having read the blurb, for which die thanks to Mr PMP.  I do not use electronic rail cleaners and the only thing that gets to the track on my DC layout is DC current. 

Many years  ago, when I was a child and dinosaurs walked the earth, my father was of the opinion that AC current that had been rectifed to DC was not pure DC and hence bad for model railway motors.  The power supply for my layout, set up in the garage, was a 12vdc car battery charger,which he claimed gave 'pure' DC.  I have no idea whether or not he was right; his experience of power supply systems came from a Merchant Navy Officers' background, where he had had to learn the basics of quite a few things that might occur aboard a ship  at sea.  The trains, Triang, all ran well enough, but I would not like to say that they ran 'better'.  They ran a lot worse when the layout was transferred to the attic, but there were all sorts of adverse conditions up there that had not been present in the garage, and the battery charger was still being used, except for when it was purloined to charge a car battery...

• Friendly/supportive 2

42 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Agree there is nothing in the packaging or enclosed documentation to indicate the J72 has any restrictions on its use apart from a warning about high frequency track cleaners. I know when I tried to run-in my J72 on a standard Hornby trainset controller it made a truly horrible noise and was virtually uncontrollable. Happily it was fine on DCC.

So everybody who has bought the J72 & uses a feedback controller with DC (not DCC) has had to go & buy a non feedback unit along with doing away with their electronic track cleaners! Incidentally, Gaugemaster say there is no problem using an electronic track cleaner with coreless motor! What a mess!