Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Bachmann Class 158 Status

cs233

2 hours ago, GordonC said:

Are you sure the beige is lighter? That looks the same as the initial (retooled) releases

and still too dark to my eyes

I've had both (in fact I sold the RR one to help pay for this one) and to my eyes it's fractionally lighter than the RR. However it does depend on the light, as with the real thing.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I’d check them first especially if you intend running them on DC .  My Scotrail one runs smoothly but sounds like a cement mixer . So bad it drowns out my Lima 87 .  On checking with shop, who offered return and exchange,  was  hold they were all like that , and they provided video evidence of their test example , which was indeed just the same as mine .

3 months on it’s still running well but still sounds like a wailing banshee . Not what I expect for £280 

On 16/03/2023 at 17:03, JackB95 said:

Arriva TW versions apparently arriving in shops now! 

Are you sure? Looking on the Bachmann website and searching for 158, this one isn't there now! It was earlier this month and was down for March/April delivery, but it's not there now. No idea what's happened, but maybe someone at Ally Pally could ask Bachmann what's happened to it. Or if it's on display in one of the cabinets.

1 hour ago, Tony Walker said:

Are you sure? Looking on the Bachmann website and searching for 158, this one isn't there now! It was earlier this month and was down for March/April delivery, but it's not there now. No idea what's happened, but maybe someone at Ally Pally could ask Bachmann what's happened to it. Or if it's on display in one of the cabinets.

Weird. Here's my mate's photo of it on the stand at Ally Pally

Snapchat-986707769.jpg.f56c69275675cf29bb8a4c5517b4d6ce.jpg

Someone on a Facebook group has photographed his in a box, so some shops have got them! Mine is due early in the week 🤞🏻 Bachmann's site also said available. 

• Thanks 1

On 19/03/2023 at 11:31, JackB95 said:

Weird. Here's my mate's photo of it on the stand at Ally Pally

Snapchat-986707769.jpg.f56c69275675cf29bb8a4c5517b4d6ce.jpg

Someone on a Facebook group has photographed his in a box, so some shops have got them! Mine is due early in the week 🤞🏻 Bachmann's site also said available. 

Thanks, just have to wait and see if I get a call about the one I've ordered then.

Edited by Tony Walker

On 19/03/2023 at 09:56, Tony Walker said:

My sound fitted ATW arrived in Scoonie Hobbies on Thursday along with new batch of class 105's but could be other shops getting deliveries this week. Hopefully pick it up at the weekend.

Edited by shunny

10 hours ago, shunny said:

My sound fitted ATW arrived in Scoonie Hobbies on Thursday along with new batch of class 105's but could be other shops getting deliveries this week. Hopefully pick it up at the weekend.

Thanks Shunny. Mine's in at Tennents Trains, so I'll be off there shortly to collect it.

I have a weird one if somebody can help, we took delivery of a WMPTE one this week, and all seems good apart from when you start the engines the end lights go out on the decoder fitted car!

If anyone has any idea’s which cv/s to look at please. I’ve tried altering the underframe switches to no avail. Thanks, Kev.

If you're unsure whether to get the ATW one or not, do it... 

IMG_20230323_172446_845.jpg.1f161460ff97623a18b9baf1f134f00a.jpg

IMG_20230323_172446_859.jpg.7f4d17e5feaea00630adb9c9aa11dade.jpg

The colour match with their 150 and Hornby's 153 is good too 👌🏻 

IMG_20230323_172446_890.jpg.1475f8d363e5459530efecf4de464cd6.jpg

IMG_20230323_172446_905.jpg.117d53d3f37e35a1f012594a08035552.jpg

Another beautiful model Bachmann, thank you. ATW blue/cream, ex-Alphaline variants, and maybe TfW as well please? 🙏🏻 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, JackB95 said:

If you're unsure whether to get the ATW one or not, do it... 

IMG_20230323_172446_845.jpg.1f161460ff97623a18b9baf1f134f00a.jpg

IMG_20230323_172446_859.jpg.7f4d17e5feaea00630adb9c9aa11dade.jpg

The colour match with their 150 and Hornby's 153 is good too 👌🏻 

IMG_20230323_172446_890.jpg.1475f8d363e5459530efecf4de464cd6.jpg

IMG_20230323_172446_905.jpg.117d53d3f37e35a1f012594a08035552.jpg

Another beautiful model Bachmann, thank you. ATW blue/cream, ex-Alphaline variants, and maybe TfW as well please? 🙏🏻 

I agree, Bachmann have done a great job. Even the sound is better on this one than on the East Midland livery one I have. Not sure if Bachmann have changed the speaker for a better one. 

5 minutes ago, Tony Walker said:

I agree, Bachmann have done a great job. Even the sound is better on this one than on the East Midland livery one I have. Not sure if Bachmann have changed the speaker for a better one. 

Don't forget that the EMT 158 has a Cummins engine and the ATW has a Perkins. At a guess, same speakers etc, but different recordings for the different engines. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JackB95 said:

Don't forget that the EMT 158 has a Cummins engine and the ATW has a Perkins. At a guess, same speakers etc, but different recordings for the different engines. 

It's actually the sound quality I feel is much better. I've had to replace the speaker in the EMT unit, as it started to crackle. The quality of sound in the ATW unit I feel is much better, hence the feeling the speaker has been changed.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Tony Walker said:

It's actually the sound quality I feel is much better. I've had to replace the speaker in the EMT unit, as it started to crackle. The quality of sound in the ATW unit I feel is much better, hence the feeling the speaker has been changed.

could it be a dodgy speaker connection or something loose?

On 18/03/2023 at 21:41, Legend said:

I’d check them first especially if you intend running them on DC .  My Scotrail one runs smoothly but sounds like a cement mixer . So bad it drowns out my Lima 87 .  On checking with shop, who offered return and exchange,  was  hold they were all like that , and they provided video evidence of their test example , which was indeed just the same as mine .

3 months on it’s still running well but still sounds like a wailing banshee . Not what I expect for £280 

IF its an ESU Decoder, get it reblown with New Sounds & Destination Announcements. !!!!!

Charlie (Legomanbiffo-DCKits)

PPS Have they fixed the Cab Lights yet ???

16 hours ago, charliepetty said:

IF its an ESU Decoder, get it reblown with New Sounds & Destination Announcements. !!!!!

Charlie (Legomanbiffo-DCKits)

PPS Have they fixed the Cab Lights yet ???

No Charlie they have not. The rear cab light comes on when you switch the cab light on. I can only assume they were thinking about the guard and what he would do.

20 hours ago, GordonC said:

could it be a dodgy speaker connection or something loose?

Gordon, I think it's just the speaker itself. The speaker is actually screwed to the PCB directly and is powered thru two spring wires to two pads on the PCB, so I doubt it's the connection.

• Like 1

On 25/03/2023 at 09:30, Tony Walker said:

No Charlie they have not. The rear cab light comes on when you switch the cab light on. I can only assume they were thinking about the guard and what he would do.

You’re right. In one of Bachmann’s announcement videos (which I can’t find now), Steve Purves explained that he had talked to drivers and they told him that they didn’t use cab lights because they destroyed their night vision. He also noted that MUs ran with their rear cab lights on for the convenience of the guard. It may be correct prototype practice but I can’t say I like it. Bachmann then dropped the ball by having the rear cab light extinguish when the unit started to move. This was on the 159 – that particular whimsical touch may have been sorted on newer models.

• 4 months later...