RMweb

Unusual workings of the Midland Blue Pullman sets

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

I have a Graham Farish Midland Blue Pullman set and apart from it's usual workings, did they ever travel anywhere else on special workings whilst in the the care of the Midland Region before they were transfered over to the Western Region.  I have a picture of one set at Calvert North Junction on the GC, on a Preston - Wembley FA Cup special in 1964 and wondered what else they were used for at the weekends?

Julian Sprott

The Blue Pullmans were not uncommon on Railtour duty and could be found away from their usual stomping grounds. There is one at Hull but the photos were hosted on Photobucket and are no longer available.

If you fancy a little bit or Rule1, there was talk of using them on the Southern Region for the Bournemouth Belle. In the end that came to nothing but would make a good "what-if" scenario.

The best resource to see where they went is the 6 Bells railtour site as this lists railtours by year as well as the stock that worked them.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Blue+pullman+site%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.sixbellsjunction.co.uk%2F60s&oq=Blue+pullman+site%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.sixbellsjunction.co.uk%2F60s&aqs=chrome..69i57.6277j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

What they didn't do is their design speed of 100mph because they were not powerful enough, so they were limited to 90.

That never fails to amuse me.

Maybe this was why they never entered service on London-Hull?

Edited by Pete the Elaner
  • Like 1

It's been trotted out before but one went to Hartlepool on a rugby special from South Wales. The stock went to Heaton for servicing.

I think that was a WR 8-car set.

What they didn't do is their design speed of 100mph because they were not powerful enough, so they were limited to 90.

That never fails to amuse me.

Maybe this was why they never entered service on London-Hull?

No match for Deltics and their ride was nowhere near as good as the Met-Cam Mark I Pullmans on their Commonwealth bogies. 

• Like 1

Surbiton evening class 'Talking of Trains' (which is still going) hired a set to do Surbiton - Carmarthen (IIRC)

Jon

Recognise anyone?

21114118273_1986045b51_z.jpgBP_Interior_to-Carmarthen_25-4-70 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

21114118243_213d6e63f6_z.jpgBP_Carmarthen_25-4-70_1 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

Edit: details of the trip are on Six Bells Junction.

Edited by robertcwp
  • Like 4

Recognise anyone?

BP_Interior_to-Carmarthen_25-4-70 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

BP_Carmarthen_25-4-70_1 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

Edit: details of the trip are on Six Bells Junction.

No, but that was 3 years before I was born! Still there are still members who went on that tour and I've sent the links on to the current lecturer - only the third Talking of Trains has had over its  50+ years...

Jon

• RMweb Gold

A WR set was used on a Coventry - Liverpool Lime Street football special on 5th March 1966, for an FA Cup 5th round match with Everton. I think the WR sets got more of the excursion work because there was a complete set spare each weekday, and to defend against criticisms of profligacy in the railway and popular press, BR were keen to find some additional use for the spare set at weekends.

I see Robert has a shot of it.

16350325065_55e37e7251_b.jpgBlue-Pullman_Liverpool_LSt_5-3-66 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

• Like 5

I know one made it to Leeds on a foot ball special - but that was in the revised grey/blue

I think that set was still in Nanking Blue and was one of the former Midland 6 car sets. It was the occassion of Bristol City playing Leeds United in the FA Cup 5 Round on 9 March 1967.  Bristol City lost 0-2 and Leeds United's Gary Sprake was sent off in the 77th minute for laying out Bristol City's Chris Garland.

• RMweb Gold

A somewhat unusual trip was made by one set up the Wirksworth Branch - a single line - at least as far as Gorsey Bank.

The trip was made in 1960 to enable publicity photographs to be taken. The Wirksworth branch was often used for publicity and test trips from Derby works.

Photographs of the trip are published in The Wirksworth Branch by Howard Sprenger (Oakwood Press).

I think that set was still in Nanking Blue and was one of the former Midland 6 car sets. It was the occassion of Bristol City playing Leeds United in the FA Cup 5 Round on 9 March 1967.  Bristol City lost 0-2 and Leeds United's Gary Sprake was sent off in the 77th minute for laying out Bristol City's Chris Garland.

It was 9 March 1968 and the two six-car sets were used. They were still in nanking blue at the time (not repainted grey/blue until 1970) but had received full yellow ends and been fitted for MU working on the Bristol Pullman the previous year.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that they were trialled on the East Coast main line with a view to using them on the Hull Pullman train when they became surplus on the Midland main line.

This did  occur, it was a total surprise to  the "St James Bridge" spotters,  I  missed the  sighting but  I recall  the  squabbles over  "cribbing" a blue pullman. The most hardened  criminals had cribbed D600/D601  and DS1173 at Doncaster works, I cannot recall the year possibly 1964.

ps I think run made the front cover of either Railway Magazine or Railway World the same year

Edited by Pandora

Furthest south-west was Plymouth, but in the white and blue era.

Twice - one six-car and one eight-car I believe. They needed to be hauled over the South Devon banks as there was a risk of their traction motors overheating on the steep gradients.

8682972275_e245805a5b_z.jpg52_Blue-Pull_Plymouth by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

8534295303_c0fcabf766_z.jpgBlue-Pull_Plymouth2 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

When the farewell tour ran in May 1973, it went down the Lickey Incline not up it, although I have seen a photo of a Blue Pullman in original livery being banked up Lickey by a steam engine.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

When the farewell tour ran in May 1973, it went down the Lickey Incline not up it, although I have seen a photo of a Blue Pullman in original livery being banked up Lickey by a steam engine.

Think it must be this one from April 1964, for a Swansea - Birmingham City fixture.

http://www.btpf.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Blue-Pullman-in-1964.jpg

• Like 1