The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Tribute Acts

Geoff Endacott

There's a whole list, many made up, in one of Mark Radcliffe's books. The pie-eating Everly Built Brothers, and the Ken Dodd/rock crossover act By Jovi.

Edit: just found some more, the book is "Showbusiness - Diary of a Rock 'n' Roll Nobody"

glam rock ornithologists Guillemot the Hoople,

suburban folk-rock from Carport Convention,

curing insomnia with flutes - Jethro Dull,

pristine pop for plumpish people - Beer Gut 100,

slobbish synth pop from the Chip Shop Boys,

heavy blues topped with the pure voice of a chorister - Aled Zeppelin.

Edited by eastwestdivide

Oasis spawned plenty of tribute bands, including No Way Sis who actually troubled the charts. My favourite name was "Oasisn't", with a special mention for Quoasis - no need to explain who they were a tribute to.

I'm also a genuine fan of Tragedy, an all metal tribute to the Bee Gees.

This all began when I tried to book a genuine ELO tribute act (if there can be such a thing.) The problem is, there seem to be lots of different ELO tribute acts and they all look and sound pretty much the same. (No surprise there then.) There may not be an ELOLOLO, but I have come across the Explosive Light Orchestra, ELO Again, ELO Encounter and ELO Experience, the last of which seems to be two different acts going by the same name.

So how do I find out which ELO is which, which is the best tribute acts and how to book them?

Maybe I should have stuck to model railway exhibitions after all.

Geoff Endacott

• RMweb Gold

There's a whole list, many made up, in one of Mark Radcliffe's books. The pie-eating Everly Built Brothers, and the Ken Dodd/rock crossover act By Jovi.

Edit: just found some more, the book is "Showbusiness - Diary of a Rock 'n' Roll Nobody"

glam rock ornithologists Guillemot the Hoople,

suburban folk-rock from Carport Convention,

curing insomnia with flutes - Jethro Dull,

pristine pop for plumpish people - Beer Gut 100,

slobbish synth pop from the Chip Shop Boys,

heavy blues topped with the pure voice of a chorister - Aled Zeppelin.

Chippers are a very successful local party band

http://www.chipshopboys.com/

Andi

• RMweb Gold

Sorry, but I just don't see the point of tribute bands. I would rather listen to a band play their own music. Nobody does ABBA as well as ABBA and I would rather listen/watch a recording of the real thing than watch an impersonation. But I recognise that some are very good and most people seem to enjoy them.

For me, the best thing about tribute bands are the names. Some are very clever indeed.

Sorry, but I just don't see the point of tribute bands. I would rather listen to a band play their own music. Nobody does ABBA as well as ABBA and I would rather listen/watch a recording of the real thing than watch an impersonation. But I recognise that some are very good and most people seem to enjoy them.

For me, the best thing about tribute bands are the names. Some are very clever indeed.

As I understand, it started in the antipodies at a time when a lot of performers didn't go down under, or it was when they started charging ridiculous ticket prices.

Since you mention ABBA, I'll recall going to see Bjorn Again in around 1990.  They sounded so much like the real thing that I wondered whether there were tapes involved.  Then the two girls went off to get changed and while they were gone the two blokes played 'Paranoid' and 'Ace of Spades'.  Except that they still sounded just like the real thing (and I can't believe there are tapes of ABBA doing either of those). 

You are right that no-one does a band's music quite like the original artist, but some of these acts do sound uncannily close.

.....You are right that no-one does a band's music quite like the original artist, but some of these acts do sound uncannily close.

It's all about perception.

Badness are great, here is me posing with them.

I'm impressed that they can cover the Bad Manners catalogue as well!

• RMweb Premium

Since you mention ABBA, I'll recall going to see Bjorn Again in around 1990.  They sounded so much like the real thing that I wondered whether there were tapes involved.  Then the two girls went off to get changed and while they were gone the two blokes played 'Paranoid' and 'Ace of Spades'.  Except that they still sounded just like the real thing (and I can't believe there are tapes of ABBA doing either of those). 

You are right that no-one does a band's music quite like the original artist, but some of these acts do sound uncannily close.

I went to see the Bootleg Beatles around 1996, I remember thinking beforehand that they were just another 'cover' group who played Beatles songs and wouldn't really sound like them. How wrong I was, once they started playing they sounded just like them. The only way you could tell that it wasn't a real Beatles concert was the lack of screaming teenage girls! (and the fact that John Lennon was no longer with us)

Al