Bargain Hunters Mark 2

• RMweb Premium

Ian Allan in Brum have some Oxford locos with money off

Dean Goods early GWR & BR now £70 (£99.95 previously)

Similar amount off the Radials

Also some diesel thing (Janus?) that was about £185? down to £135?

I assume it must be sound fitted.

(Sorry to be imprecise but I wasn't paying too much attention to it)

Keith

Still a number of the Oxford Dean Goods in the shop yesterday. More of the BR black than the GWR lined green. I went in expecting them to have sold out and was pleasantly surprised.

• RMweb Premium

A Oakes in the West Midlands

http://www.aoakesmodeltrains.co.uk/

Many Loco Bargains in Hornby and Bachmann, Graham Farish. THIS SATURDAY (27TH JANUARY) ITS 70% DAY!

LOOK FOR THE SPECIAL TICKETS

R3401 Hornby Bristolian Train Pack £304.99 This Sat £91.49

R3228 J94 NCB £119.99 This Sat. £35.99

R3106 GWR Class 28XX £143.99 This Sat £43.20

R2845 & R3194 School Class £159.99 This Sat £47.99

R3017 Patriot and R3003/R3004 B17 This Sat £47.99

R3114A B1 £149.99 This Sat £44.99

R3129 M7 £129.99 This Sat £38.99

R3104 J94 £119.99 This Sat £35.99

R3132 Class A3 £174.99 This Sat £52.99

R3131 LNER A4 £179.99 This Sat £52.49

R3107 T9 £129.99 This Sat £38.99

R2963 A1A-A1A £179.99 This Sat £53.99

Bachmann NEW UN-BOXED LIGHTED PULLMAN COACHES £69.95 This Sat  less 70% £20.98

Selected Hornby Skaledale Buildings e.g. R9763 Barbers Shop This Sat 6.89

(Limited stocks, Personal shoppers only, 2 per customer & no internet orders).

The R2963s, I'd love a couple of those at that price, but too far away in Yorkshire.

Wonder how much of this will end up on eBay!

The R2963s, I'd love a couple of those at that price, but too far away in Yorkshire.

Wonder how much of this will end up on eBay!

Whilst £54 for the Class 31 is cheap for certain the RRP is totally wrong, 162 was the highest I've seen for a 31 and that was the DCR one. given this is quite a few years old the RRP would have been much less

• RMweb Gold

For today only, Amazon (UK) are offering £10 off any orders over £50:

Enjoy £10 off any qualifying order of £50 or more with promo code BIGTHANKS

This offer ends on 25 January, 2018. One per customer. The offer applies to items dispatched from and sold by Amazon only. It does not apply to items sold by third-party sellers, including items Fulfilled by Amazon. More details below.

cheers,

Keith

• Like 1

Whilst £54 for the Class 31 is cheap for certain the RRP is totally wrong, 162 was the highest I've seen for a 31 and that was the DCR one. given this is quite a few years old the RRP would have been much less

But surely, irrespective of RRP, the price one pays is how one determines it's a bargain or not?

e,g, here:

http://mashable.com/2014/06/17/stamp-auction-20-million/#yUK.LlnPHOqz

RRP 1 Cent, also quite a few years old, but the buyer must've though they bought a bargain :yes:

For today only, Amazon (UK) are offering £10 off any orders over £50:

Enjoy £10 off any qualifying order of £50 or more with promo code BIGTHANKS

This offer ends on 25 January, 2018. One per customer. The offer applies to items dispatched from and sold by Amazon only. It does not apply to items sold by third-party sellers, including items Fulfilled by Amazon. More details below.

cheers,

Keith

Thanks!

but doesn't appear to apply on orders from Amazon Global store

A Oakes in the West Midlands

http://www.aoakesmodeltrains.co.uk/

Many Loco Bargains in Hornby and Bachmann, Graham Farish. THIS SATURDAY (27TH JANUARY) ITS 70% DAY!

LOOK FOR THE SPECIAL TICKETS

R3401 Hornby Bristolian Train Pack £304.99 This Sat £91.49

R3228 J94 NCB £119.99 This Sat. £35.99

R3106 GWR Class 28XX £143.99 This Sat £43.20

R2845 & R3194 School Class £159.99 This Sat £47.99

R3017 Patriot and R3003/R3004 B17 This Sat £47.99

R3114A B1 £149.99 This Sat £44.99

R3129 M7 £129.99 This Sat £38.99

R3104 J94 £119.99 This Sat £35.99

R3132 Class A3 £174.99 This Sat £52.99

R3131 LNER A4 £179.99 This Sat £52.49

R3107 T9 £129.99 This Sat £38.99

R2963 A1A-A1A £179.99 This Sat £53.99

Bachmann NEW UN-BOXED LIGHTED PULLMAN COACHES £69.95 This Sat  less 70% £20.98

Selected Hornby Skaledale Buildings e.g. R9763 Barbers Shop This Sat 6.89

(Limited stocks, Personal shoppers only, 2 per customer & no internet orders).

SO, does anyone know if there is any modern image included in the sale and what they are usually like.  Tempted to make the trip north from Devon, given my wife wants a trip to Costco in Bristol, so this helps to kind of justify the visit.

Thanks

• Like 1

SO, does anyone know if there is any modern image included in the sale and what they are usually like.  Tempted to make the trip north from Devon, given my wife wants a trip to Costco in Bristol, so this helps to kind of justify the visit.

Thanks

It's usually just what they list on their website and very limited stocks, often gone within the first 30 mins or so! Sometimes there is modern stuff, the discount amount and stock changes every weekend.

I think I've brought one loco from their sale once but ended up selling it on a year later as only really brought it on impulse. 2 years ago they had one of the 4-coach older Hronby NSE EMUs for £60. Not exactly modern image to my liking though! Often when they have N Guage offers on they are really good prices and often include modern DMUs, But wrong gauge for me!

It's usually just what they list on their website and very limited stocks, often gone within the first 30 mins or so! Sometimes there is modern stuff, the discount amount and stock changes every weekend.

I think I've brought one loco from their sale once but ended up selling it on a year later as only really brought it on impulse. 2 years ago they had one of the 4-coach older Hronby NSE EMUs for £60. Not exactly modern image to my liking though! Often when they have N Guage offers on they are really good prices and often include modern DMUs, But wrong gauge for me!

Thanks. Sounds like it would probably be a wasted trip for me then, given the distance and that there seems to be not much of interest in that list (assuming that it will be that mainly plus a few other bits).  Think I will save the effort for a more local event or show and see about a bargain then. Not sure 5hrs in the car is what I want to do. 

Remember that NSE and Sector is classed as modern image by the masses... I wonder whether the fact that there is usually more steam on offer suggests that diesel and electric are strong sellers, or perhaps the production runs are smaller...

Cheers

Thanks. Sounds like it would probably be a wasted trip for me then, given the distance and that there seems to be not much of interest in that list (assuming that it will be that mainly plus a few other bits).  Think I will save the effort for a more local event or show and see about a bargain then. Not sure 5hrs in the car is what I want to do. 

Remember that NSE and Sector is classed as modern image by the masses... I wonder whether the fact that there is usually more steam on offer suggests that diesel and electric are strong sellers, or perhaps the production runs are smaller...

Cheers

are steam prototypes perhaps generally more tied to limited geographical areas?

Most of the bigger Diesel classes could certainly turn up in a wide variety of places and might be easier to entice purchasers to have another one ... Electrics might be a bit more restricted and on thinking about it possibly end up stuck in the bargain bin a bit more often and for longer (said as a WCML AC electric fan!!)

Last week I purchased R3362 50024 Vanguard for £71.99 and I also noticed a Bachmann MLV in Jaffer Cake livery for just over £40 both was not on the list.

Still it’s pot luck and in the past alot has gone in the first 10 minutes.

Every weekend the sale changes.

First week was 20% off plus another 20% if you had a letter sent to you when you have signed up for there mailing list.

They had Bachmann 47s and Hornby class 60s.

Last week it worked out to 60% off and all the stock had changed from the week before.

This week it’s changed again.

The sales normally runs until the end of Feb early March.

The best weeks are 70% off sound.

In the past I’ve had R3246TTS P2 Cock O The North for £65.84

Bachmann 37418 with sound split for a set for £73.48.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

are steam prototypes perhaps generally more tied to limited geographical areas?

Yes, apart from certain BR Standard classes

Most "Company" locos stayed on their patch with only certain freights and cross country trains wandering far afield

This ex LSWR T9 heading for Birmingham is one of the furthest wanderings I've seen photographed:

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrhj108.htm

In BR days locos wandered around more than in "Big 4" times.

Keith

Edited by melmerby

Last week I purchased R3362 50024 Vanguard for £71.99 and I also noticed a Bachmann MLV in Jaffer Cake livery for just over £40 both was not on the list.

Still it’s pot luck and in the past alot has gone in the first 10 minutes.

Every weekend the sale changes.

First week was 20% off plus another 20% if you had a letter sent to you when you have signed up for there mailing list.

They had Bachmann 47s and Hornby class 60s.

Last week it worked out to 60% off and all the stock had changed from the week before.

This week it’s changed again.

The sales normally runs until the end of Feb early March.

The best weeks are 70% off sound.

In the past I’ve had R3246TTS P2 Cock O The North for £65.84

Bachmann 37418 with sound split for a set for £73.48.

Wow you did well with that Class 50!!! even second-hand ones are rarely at that price

• RMweb Gold

Aldi & Lidl have a few items people may find useful. Aldi's digital caliper is useful for checking back to backs or you may have a use for the Lidl 6 socket extension lead.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/c/2018-01-28?sort=popular&q=%3Apopular%3AtransactionalStatus%3Atransactional%3AtransactionalStatus%3Anontransactional%3AEvent%3ADIY&page=0

Calipers arrived today (via Yodel who are actually very good in these parts!) Looks to be good value, thanks

• RMweb Premium

Calipers arrived today (via Yodel who are actually very good in these parts!) Looks to be good value, thanks

I'd be most interested to know how good they are. I would like to buy some calipers and I'm finding it hard to choose something (I don't have any current need for high precision measurements beyond measuring wheel back-to-backs so I don't want to spend £40 on something if it's not necessary, but on the other hand I don't want to spend less if it gets me something that is essentially useless).

Unfortunately looking on Amazon wasn't much use - the reviews seem to be largely bogus on such things.