Bachmann Class 45

SouthernBlue80s

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Daddyman said:

Yes, but not so easy to match Bachmann's (at the time incorrect) BR blue...

It's a model I want to sell, and I'm trying to decide if it's worth tarting up and trying to make it accurate, or just sell it as it is. Tending towards the latter course at the moment...   

That’s probably the best call … if it bothers them whoever buys it can sort out…

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Phil Bullock said:

That’s probably the best call … if it bothers them whoever buys it can sort out…

Thanks - that's what I thought.

Is it well regarded at all the TMZ bodyshell? Not sure if Bachmann have retooled since then. 

4 hours ago, Daddyman said:

Thanks - that's what I thought.

Is it well regarded at all the TMZ bodyshell? Not sure if Bachmann have retooled since then. 

The tooling has been improved since then. The recent Bachmann 45/0's with marker lights all have separately fitted handrails on the nose, improved nose end grilles with hinges, improved plated boiler access footsteps, and the access hatch on the lower bodyside (one side only) is tooled, rather than tampo printed on! 

I would also suggest not bothering to renumber the model before you sell it. Anyone who cares enough will sort it out themselves, and plenty of people won't even notice. Honestly, if I had a pound for the amount of times I see peaks being renumbered to a prototype that doesn't match the detail differences, even obvious things like the headcode style!!! 

Even with the recent peaks that cover versions with and without the trapezoid grille, you still see professional modelling websites flogging renumbered / weathered examples that get this wrong for mega £££!

Cameron

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Reviving the specific Class 45 thread following today's announcements. I'm assuming that the Class 45 (and 44/46) models are reworkings along the lines of the recently upgraded Class 40, i.e. tooling and lighting upgrades with Plux22 decoder fitting.

Interesting that D49 The Manchester Regiment reprises the original 1970s Mainline issue in green SYP. 

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

Reviving the specific Class 45 thread following today's announcements. I'm assuming that the Class 45 (and 44/46) models are reworkings along the lines of the recently upgraded Class 40, i.e. tooling and lighting upgrades with Plux22 decoder fitting.

Interesting that D49 The Manchester Regiment reprises the original 1970s Mainline issue in green SYP. 

And 46045 the first round of Bachmann class 46’s too… cat no 31-076.. sold for £29.95 after discount.

When it comes to 44’s we have a full house having been made… D1,D2, D3, 44004/5/6/7/8..by Bachmann

Heljans filling the blanks with D9 and 44010 (as well as 1, D5, D6 ).

source..

https://www.hattons.co.uk/directory/versiondetails/1585/bachmann_branchline_oo_class_44_peak?instock=true&onorder=true&soldout=true

(Gosh I hope we dont lose this online resource!!!)

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

Away from the razmataz of new issues, I used one of the original Bachmann 44's to make my D10 "Tryfan", using Olivia's grilles. There are a number of other tweaks to the model that can be viewed if you click on the picture to see my description.

I've since added black card inside to blank off the "see through" look, I have some nameplates but need to spray them green before fitting.

As with all my examples of these early Bachmann Peaks, I find they run and haul very well indeed on my DC setup.

Class 44 converted to D10

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson
  • Like 12
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, andyman7 said:

Kernow listing them as 21 pin. 

Roy

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 07/02/2024 at 14:46, adb968008 said:

And 46045 the first round of Bachmann class 46’s too… cat no 31-076.. sold for £29.95 after discount.

I've dug out my own original Bachmann 46045 - bought for £29.95 in 1995, quite scary how long ago. It still works well and has directional lights which were omitted from later Bachmann 'Peaks' until the model got a 21 Pin chassis upgrade. I'd also forgotten that it came with a Limited Lifetime Guarantee - free repair for one year and then $10 US. I didn't send the tear-off card to Barwell but I wonder if anyone has tried to claim under the Warranty after all this time 🙂

PXL_20240208_182208613.jpg

PXL_20240208_182222387.jpg

• Like 6

Re the choice of 44 007 'Ingleborough' for the latest release Class 44, this was one of the last three survivors into 1980. Photos of it from its final couple of years are quite plentiful as it was a celebrity by then; however, the Bachmann model is shown with nameplates and ex-works which would position the time period to mid 70s. Even then it's a bit problematical - it had numbers in all four corners in its final years although a '4' was missing from one corner by 1979 so it read 4 007. More notable it had very obvious main grille damage from the mid 70s onwards. Earlier photos show a bent and distorted area of slats, but by 1979 some sheet metal had been crudely welded over the holes.

I did a project 44 007 a couple of years back on a spare Bachmann body that I mated to a Mainline chassis which had surgery to correct various issues. The weathering/modification made use of the plentiful photos to replicate the actual streaks, damage and rust spots on the loco in 1979/80. I'm still very pleased with it. 

PXL_20240208_183110357.jpg

Edited by andyman7
spelling
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, andyman7 said:

I've dug out my own original Bachmann 46045 - bought for £29.95 in 1995, quite scary how long ago. It still works well and has directional lights which were omitted from later Bachmann 'Peaks' until the model got a 21 Pin chassis upgrade. I'd also forgotten that it came with a Limited Lifetime Guarantee - free repair for one year and then $10 US. I didn't send the tear-off card to Barwell but I wonder if anyone has tried to claim under the Warranty after all this time 🙂

Best thing in there is the motor would still be as valuable today inside one of the various diesels in the market as a spare.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Bought my peak D163 around 1995 ish.  It has always been a good runner and was endowed with "upgrades" such as roof grill and fan, wire hand rails, roof access panel handrails fitted.  Tail lights and sound fitted.  Still works a treat.

IMG_20240221_112657.jpg

IMG_20240221_112708.jpg

• Like 6

On 08/02/2024 at 19:34, andyman7 said:

from probably my favourite modelshop too 👍

• Like 2

Just ordered some plates & numbers from Fox - given up with Jackson-Evans (6 months waiting and no replies despite messages - money lost 🙄) to convert a Bachmann 32-701 to 45041 "Royal Tank Regiment" circa 1975 with "0000" at both ends.

On 22/02/2024 at 13:34, Southernman46 said:

Just ordered some plates & numbers from Fox - given up with Jackson-Evans (6 months waiting and no replies despite messages - money lost 🙄) to convert a Bachmann 32-701 to 45041 "Royal Tank Regiment" circa 1975 with "0000" at both ends.

Apologies for replying to my own post but Fox plates etc delivered already - that's fine service 👍

I finish Night's on Monday then I'm turning this 

32-701.jpg

into this (Not my photo - (had it years off t'internet - apologies if it's yours and I've infringed copyright 😬)

45041 Bristol Temple Meads 1975 ish.jpg

Edited by Southernman46
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Covkid said:

Am I right in thinking that Bachmann 46 was missing an exhaust port ?

Obviously no problem to fit

Battery-box covers are my only stipulation transitioning between the two types. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 'CHARD said:

Battery-box covers are my only stipulation transitioning between the two types. 

The 45 had a square access flap under the long grill which you can see in the Tank Regiment photo that the 46 didn't have (above the left hand end of the battery boxes). Easier to add than it was to remove when I converted one the other way!

The 46 also had an extra roof hatch but they haven't modelled it anyway, so that's a job saved!

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 2

The great thing about 45 and 46 detail permutations is the late Russ Saxton's easy to use reference list, meaning a novice can body swap with relative impunity!

The available combinations also act to self-limit the possible RTR fleet size, which is useful!

• Agree 2

I'm certainly not getting the actual R-T-R model and cutting a long hole in either end 🤦‍♂️ although I might just because it's the RTR (truth be told I didn't realise there was a post 1979 blanked off version of it 👍)

So exhaust port, body flap, the battery boxes I can live with.

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/02/2024 at 07:07, Southernman46 said:

I'm certainly not getting the actual R-T-R model and cutting a long hole in either end 🤦‍♂️ although I might just because it's the RTR (truth be told I didn't realise there was a post 1979 blanked off version of it 👍)

So exhaust port, body flap, the battery boxes I can live with.

Except I couldn't ....................... changed the chassis today with a spare Class 45 (yes it's the even the right 45 chassis too) purchased from Bachmann - amazingly despite my sore 61 y.o. mitts managed to put it back together and it goes - at both ends too 😁.  Spare Class 46 chassis anyone /

The domino headcode panels need removing next - chickening out a bit with that at the mo - I can scratchbuild stuff no problem but modifying RTR - find that really hard 

On 22/02/2024 at 13:34, Southernman46 said:

53 'Royal Tank Regiment' was the last loco I ever saw in traffic with its original number (Westerns excepted of course) - Birmingham New Street, 19th April 1975.

• Like 2