Bachmann Class 45

SouthernBlue80s

25 minutes ago, Waverley47708 said:

I've got a set of the Westhill wagon works parts but no idea how to fit them. 

Any clear photos of how to fit then would be appreciated.

If you scroll up the page there are some links to Flickr pages with lots of close ups of the real thing, should give you an idea.

I've ordered a set to try out. Maybe by the time I have a go I will have laid some track and will be able to test it properly. I have tried to stick to a minimum of 24" radius on my curves on the track plan, but there are a couple of places in the fiddle yard that drop down to about 21 / 22", and one bit that's R3 (19.88"). There are also several small radius streamline points in the fiddle yard too, so it will be a test!

Regards,

Cameron

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Mophead45143 said:

If you scroll up the page there are some links to Flickr pages with lots of close ups of the real thing, should give you an idea.

Regards,

Cameron

Thanks Cameron, I had seen those photos but I still wasn't clear about the orientation of the pipes, esp since there appeared to be two pairs of pipework and one set of pipes which was different to the others.

Somewhere, possibly Facebook I saw mention of an intention (possibly by Westhill Wagon Works) to do a video of how to fit them.  Unfortunately I've not been able to track it down assuming it was ever made.

• 4 weeks later...
On 23/09/2018 at 19:53, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Nick

There isn't a WOT??????? button.

£112 for just the body.

The other day in a PM a mate asked what has happened to the modellers on RMweb. If it was my period of modelling I would demonstrate how to make a sealed beam headcode class 45.

Why not do it anyway and sell it on? 

On 11/12/2018 at 12:58, Jim76 said:

Who bought the assets of Modelzone and could they - whoever that is and in theory at least release one? Jim

Wholesale arm went to Amerang Ltd of Lancing (Incidentally based on the site of the old carriage works and right next to where I used to work)

WHSmith got the retailing bit with outlets in certain Smiths stores. 

I'm guessing the tooling would have passed to Amerang as they're a Wholesaler.

I dug mine out. Here she is

20220225_142035.jpg

Edited by The Evil Bus Driver
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Can't find any specific reference to this, but has anyone else attempted/ thought about trying to correct the septum on 45036's nose? 

It was an open goal, but instead of improving the split-centre panel, extra unrealistic space was introduced between the split panels, and once seen it can't be unseen.  It's worse on the BFYE version, a real stand-out. 

And what the new Heljan loco makes up for in this region, it squanders in its windscreens.  Argh!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, 'CHARD said:

Can't find any specific reference to this, but has anyone else attempted/ thought about trying to correct the septum on 45036's nose? 

It was an open goal, but instead of improving the split-centre panel, extra unrealistic space was introduced between the split panels, and once seen it can't be unseen.  It's worse on the BFYE version, a real stand-out. 

And what the new Heljan loco makes up for in this region, it squanders in its windscreens.  Argh!

I've been thinking the exact same thing. As off putting as the cab window profile on the new Heljan 45 appears, I can't help but think the centre-split headcode on the Bachmann 45 does more to ruin the 'face' of the loco. If only extreme etchings made headcode frames that could be used with a bit of filling etc. 

Cameron

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 26/09/2022 at 19:35, Mophead45143 said:

I've been thinking the exact same thing. As off putting as the cab window profile on the new Heljan 45 appears, I can't help but think the centre-split headcode on the Bachmann 45 does more to ruin the 'face' of the loco. If only extreme etchings made headcode frames that could be used with a bit of filling etc. 

Cameron

i studied the split nose ends of peaks during the time we reinstated ours . Baines rubber strip was used  by BR to secure glass. Your notice differences on preserved 45s . We were approached to what method we used by owners of 2 45s. its a mine field of variations.  

7 minutes ago, Suzy Sulzer said:

i studied the split nose ends of peaks during the time we reinstated ours . Baines rubber strip was used  by BR to secure glass. Your notice differences on preserved 45s . We were approached to what method we used by owners of 2 45s. its a mine field of variations.  

I'll bet! Never really thought about it before but I suppose every single peak with any variation of headcode in preservation has had this reinstated after withdrawal by preservationists, as any 45's / 46's that still had them at withdrawal in the were cut up.

Am I right in thinking Sherwood's boxes came from 45053 on the scrap line, so these didn't have to be made from scratch?

Cameron

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Mophead45143 said:

I'll bet! Never really thought about it before but I suppose every single peak with any variation of headcode in preservation has had this reinstated after withdrawal by preservationists, as any 45's / 46's that still had them at withdrawal in the were cut up.

Am I right in thinking Sherwood's boxes came from 45053 on the scrap line, so these didn't have to be made from scratch?

Cameron

I believe that the boxes were only used as templates to make new ones as the boxes off 45053 were too badly corroded to use.

T-T

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

• RMweb Gold

Yes its the-odd one out, its shade of blue is different to the other 5 recently released, plus its novelty value is gone.

The other 45’s have been shelfware at retailers for a few years now, considering they were smaller runs too.  So much for the Peak Army.

Ive been a bit of a critic about “demand” for peaks, because I just never saw the following, when BR got rid… even in the 90’s people weren't buying armfuls of Replicas peak either.

imo Peaks are “Just  have one of those”’ kind of an engine in each variant.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Yes its the-odd one out, its shade of blue is different to the other 5 recently released, plus its novelty value is gone.

The other 45’s have been shelfware at retailers for a few years now, considering they were smaller runs too.  So much for the Peak Army.

Ive been a bit of a critic about “demand” for peaks, because I just never saw the following, when BR got rid… even in the 90’s people weren't buying armfuls of Replicas peak either.

imo Peaks are “Just  have one of those”’ kind of an engine in each variant.

I think it very much depends on your region and era. If you model MML or anywhere on the NE/SW in the late 1970's for instance, then the volume and variety of peaks was enormous. Ok they were all BR blue, but there were plenty of notable differences:

- Cl 44's: 44008, 44009 & 44010 had unique features in either grilles or nose ends - or both in the case of 44009! Admittedly these locos were geographically limited to Midlands.

- Cl 45's: Four different nose end variety's (not including the odd-balls) including sealed beam, centre-headcode, centre-split headcode and split headcodes. Each of which were either named or unnamed, and headcode variants either had domino's or '0000' displayed. Then factor in all of the above for both steam heat 45/0's and ETH 45/1's.

- Cl 46's: Two different nose end variety's (not including the odd-balls) including sealed beam and centre-headcode, again with either domino's or '0000' displayed. 46026 was named.

If you're going off standard variants, then you could have over 20 locos which even the most disinterested peak avoider would admit did not look the same. And if you really wanted to represent it the way things were, you'd need a fair few locos to paint the picture.

Granted that as the 80's progressed, apart from a few Tinsley embellishments etc., the loco's all started looking very similar as the remaining fleet got marker lights.

Cameron

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, Mophead45143 said:

I think it very much depends on your region and era. If you model MML or anywhere on the NE/SW in the late 1970's for instance, then the volume and variety of peaks was enormous. Ok they were all BR blue, but there were plenty of notable differences:

- Cl 44's: 44008, 44009 & 44010 had unique features in either grilles or nose ends - or both in the case of 44009! Admittedly these locos were geographically limited to Midlands.

Certainly not unknown in Gloucester and March. Wasnt aware of 44008 differences … wondering what the differences are? And then there’s 44004 with the extra nose end footsteps and OHLE flashes…

3 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Wasnt aware of 44008 differences … wondering what the differences are? 

Hi Phil

I think it's that Penyghent had a single panel welded either in place of or over the top of the nose end doors, whilst the others just had the doors welded up. The noses also sported two ohe flashes on each nose just below the grab rails. I say had because both of these mods have been reversed in preservation.

Interesting feature of D9/44009's no 1 end is that it seems to have had the whole cab replaced (back to the cooler room bulkhead) and not just the nose front. This is evidenced by the shorter class 45/46 style cab door handrails seen in photos of the loco post-crash.

Kevin

Edited by apollo 079
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, apollo 079 said:

Hi Phil

I think it's that Penyghent had a single panel welded either in place of or over the top of the nose end doors, whilst the others just had the doors welded up. The noses also sported two ohe flashes on each nose just below the grab rails. I say had because both of these mods have been reversed in preservation.

Interesting feature of D9/44009's no 1 end is that it seems to have had the whole cab replaced (back to the cooler room bulkhead) and not just the nose front. This is evidenced by the shorter class 45/46 style cab door handrails seen in photos of the loco post-crash.

Kevin

Cheers Kevin Yes agree with you on D9s cab…. Very distinctive! Will look out for the nose doors on 44008 although sounds like out of my time scale… 

On 12/12/2022 at 13:32, Phil Bullock said:

Cheers Kevin Yes agree with you on D9s cab…. Very distinctive! Will look out for the nose doors on 44008 although sounds like out of my time scale… 

Hi Phil,

Yes this was definitely a 1970's thing, as it was still in green with the doors intact at least as late as July 1970.

Cameron

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 12/12/2022 at 12:30, apollo 079 said:

Hi Phil

Kevin

D8 had its doors welded up, the only Class 44 to have this done. D9 did have the whole cab replaced in 1969 following accident damage, and yes it had the shorter cab handrails, though dont forget the very early 45s were delivered from Crewe and Derby with the longer ones, later chnaged to shorter ones.

• Agree 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Could I ask a question to all the class 45 experts, please? I know nothing about the class! 

I have a TMZ limited edition from a few years back. As far as I remember, it came unnumbered. I think I bought the body only from TMZ at an exhibition, where they were selling off surplus stock. Some twit (a younger and inferior version of me) has numbered it as 45022, which I think is wrong for the features included in the moulding. But I'm struggling to find any locos that match the features of the model - namely: 

BR blue 

Sealed-beam flush fronts with headcode clips adjacent to the marker lights 

Plated steps at the boiler 

Unplated vertical grille at the boiler (it's this feature that seems to rule out most prototypes) 

Trapezoid alternator (?) hatch rather than grille 

Did any loco actually have all those features? Grateful for any help! 

Sooo...that makes it a definite 45/0, and only six of those had the trapezoid grill as far as I can see - so not 45008, 019, 022, 26, 41 and 56 as did all of the 46's and a number of the 45/1's which all had the foot holds removed completely. The vertical grille is a bit trickier, I would recommend checking out the peakdieselarchive website as they have pics of 'em all but at various stages in their lifetime, but a great resource.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes, but not so easy to match Bachmann's (at the time incorrect) BR blue...

It's a model I want to sell, and I'm trying to decide if it's worth tarting up and trying to make it accurate, or just sell it as it is. Tending towards the latter course at the moment...