South Western Railway livery launch

I wonder what TfL will make of this new livery.

Didn't they agree with SWTrains', that their inner suburban units (Cl. 455, 456 etc.) were / had to be painted red in exchange for TfL financing the units' refurbishment ?. 

I believe all thoughts of a Southern Metro have now been put on hold because we have a Tory government and a Labour Mayor.

Unless (until) those things are in sync again, any suggestion of handing powers over to the other lot will just invite crucifixes to be held up at twenty paces, vampire style.

• Like 1

Looking at the liveries I have to put up with in the North West then that's not bad at all.

Think Miseryrail grey and yellow, Arriva bus livery and Northern where half the trains are either still in undercoat or that awful purple colour.

Jason

Yep, if there are two colours that should be against the law, it surely has to be orange and purple, and West Midlands Trains just chose to have both.

Pass the sick bag.

• RMweb Premium

I agree that it's drab and dreary (unlike the dark green which comes in for some criticism here but I like, albeit with the proviso that I've never seen it in person). But in this case drab and dreary is better than the bright garish liveries some come up with, so I'll say poor but could've been a lot worse.

Looking at the liveries I have to put up with in the North West then that's not bad at all.

Think Miseryrail grey and yellow, Arriva bus livery and Northern where half the trains are either still in undercoat or that awful purple colour.

Or the terrible things TransPennine come up with.

• RMweb Premium

Yuck is my first reaction.

Grey / Silver is a rubbish colour for trains - unless kept scrupulously clean it looks dull and given the levels of crowding on many services on dull rainy days its hardly going to lift mood of the traveller (particularly if they are susceptible to the effects of SAD syndrome*)

While some may moan, I have no problem admitting I actually liked the SWT livery - and the concept of having differently coloured (but using the same styling) for trains allocated to the three different service groups.

It's a bit boring, but at least it isn't an undignified poke in the eye, and the lines respect the shape, rather than fighting against it.

Like others, I am baffled as to why grey is now fashionable. SWMBO is up on these things, so our front door now looks as if it has just had a coat of good quality primer/undercoat.

Kevin

• RMweb Gold

A couple more to add to those that are doing the rounds.

444040 at Waterloo during the event this morning...

post-414-0-80431800-1504540001.jpg

... and approaching Clapham Junction with 3Z01, 12.42 London Waterloo to Northam C.S.D.

post-414-0-66001200-1504539970.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Having seen it 'in the flesh' today I think it looks better than the artist impression that was all we had to go on before now.

I guess I'm so conditioned to seeing the three variants of the SWT livery that, for now, anything else just looks out of place.  I'd be interested to learn if SWR intend introducing separate liveries to differentiate the services in a similar manner to SWT.

Edited by 4630
  • Like 1

Oh it's got diagonal stripes - didn't notice them from the earlier, more distant photos, they just blended in.

And the stripes are parallel to the logo's diagonal lines on both sides of the train, so you get a "leaning forward" side and a "leaning backward" effect depending on which side of the cab you are.

• RMweb Premium

A couple more to add to those that are doing the rounds.

444040 at Waterloo during the event this morning...

attachicon.gif444040 3Z00 London Waterloo 04092017 - RMweb.jpg

... and approaching Clapham Junction with 3Z01, 12.42 London Waterloo to Northam C.S.D.

attachicon.gif444040 3Z01 Clapham Junction 04092017 - RMweb.jpg

The one behind its a classy looking train. Bright , Modern and you can distinguish it from the sky in our normal grey weather

For a number of graphic design reasons, the S,W,(thing),R logo doesn't "work".

Poor choice of font for starters. I shall be conducting an in depth analysis in lecture theatre A113 (wink, Pixar geeks!) in twenty minutes, get there early to guarantee a seat...

C6T.

• Like 2

didn't notice them from the earlier,

Neither did I,the things covered in them. And there was I calling it cheap.... Think The Stationmaster has a point about going with what's in fashion rather than something that might stand time's test. Perhaps there'll be a new scheme for the spring collection.

Still baffled by the logo.

Stu

Still baffled by the logo.

There's an animation on the SWR Twitter feed, showing a SWR route map morphing into the logo.

https://twitter.com/SW_Help?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.southwesternrailway.com%2Fplan-my-journey%2Flive-departures-and-arrivals

It appears the logo is meant to represent both the shape of the network ....and the idea that their routes lead to London (the arrow impression?).

Also in the square shaped arrangement containing the logo with the letters S, W & R, with the logo in the bottom left, the logo is a sort of mirror image of the letter R.

Clearly, unlike you intellectually challenged types, I can understand the particular design language being used here.  :sungum:

It's known in the PR world as boll*cks ker'ching.

:angel:

:jester:  :jester:  :jester:

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Like 2

You think this is drab????????????????

Unrelieved loco hauled stock green models always sell well......

...'cos they're easiest to paint into summat else Larry? I'm after a pair of BG's for conversion to Porterbrook (white and purple) barrier vans, suggestions welcome!

C6T.

• RMweb Gold

Unrelieved loco hauled stock green models always sell well......

And in the case of Hornby Maunsells the same unrelieved shade has been used both for BR(S) and SR Malachite green. Unlikely to be right, but convenient if you wish to re-letter one to the other, of course. Not so good, though, when you come by some kitbuilt metal Bulleids in a more plausible Malachite, painted by some bloke called Goddard......