RMweb

Andrew Barclay 14" & 16" 0-4-0ST in OO Gauge

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Premium

Sams Trains is an interesting take on reviewing items but it will reach people that maybe wouldn't generally look away from the red box.

His track did show up the difficultly with 0-4-0 tanks and insulfrog points so it was good that Hattons have their own running videos that show smooth travel over insulfrogs.

Absolutely exposure to the wider buying community. The issues with Insulfrogs are probably no different from the ones the rest of us will face. This is a test in a home environment rather than on a test lab layout . I thought it was a very positive review , not just on this model but Hattons models , as he has already reviewed the P. A producer of High Quality models is his conclusion and I don't dispute that. I'm waiting for the next announcements .......a nice Caley 812 perhaps .

I've got three Barclays on my bench for a review in BRM at the moment so I thought I'd do you a quick video for a close-up look round at them.

I shall take them up to Doncaster show this weekend so Phil may get a chance to give one or two (and the P Class) a run on Didsbury Green.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Absolutely exposure to the wider buying community. The issues with Insulfrogs are probably no different from the ones the rest of us will face. This is a test in a home environment rather than on a test lab layout . I thought it was a very positive review , not just on this model but Hattons models , as he has already reviewed the P. A producer of High Quality models is his conclusion and I don't dispute that. I'm waiting for the next announcements .......a nice Caley 812 perhaps .

Probably preaching to the converted, but anyone who is serious about running short wheelbase locos like this really shouldn't be using Insulfrog points.  

Going through them means that the loco will, for a while, only be picking up from a single wheel on one side. The slightest rock or dip and contact will be interrupted.

Such points therefore have to be laid dead flat and kept perfectly clean to give a fighting chance of passing over them without stalling too often

Live frogs, even at maximum theoretical pessimism, double the chances of your 0-4-0T passing satisfactorily through the point. In practice, it will be much better than that. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

"maximum theoretical pessimism"

9/10 for that phrase. I shall in future be finding every possibility at dropping it into every model railway related conversation as often as possible.

post-508-0-32704500-1518098703.jpg

P

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Sams Trains is an interesting take on reviewing items but it will reach people that maybe wouldn't generally look away from the red box.

His track did show up the difficultly with 0-4-0 tanks and insulfrog points so it was good that Hattons have their own running videos that show smooth travel over insulfrogs.

I think from watching his video he has Hornby points, which if I recall correctly have a larger dead section than the equivalent Peco ones.

• RMweb Gold

I think from watching his video he has Hornby points, which if I recall correctly have a larger dead section than the equivalent Peco ones.

Hatton's Dave above mentions the insulfrogs in his response to a question about the test track in the video,

"Most pointwork is insulfrog with the exception of one right hand point at the front of the outer loop".

Loco seems to go through the pointwork very smoothly.

Cheers,

Keith

Not wishing to start doorhandlegate, or anything, but from the videos it appears that the boiler door handles do not stand proud of the boiler doors. Or are they just very finely differentiated?

Had a little parcel arrive this morning, with these two beauties inside! 

All I can say is, Wow! They really are superb little gems!

The first thing that gets you is the size of them (they really are tiny). Was really taken by the level of detail, especially in the cab. The sprung buffers took me by surprising! Can't wait to get them on the layout for a test run. 

Here's a few quick pictures I managed to take before heading off to work (Sorry for the poor lighting, it's doesn't do the Maroon Livery on "Katie any justice). Hope there of interest! 

Will get around to do a full video on the pair very soon.   :locomotive:

(Please note they are paid for)

post-20663-0-59059200-1518114611_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-71364900-1518114620_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-31009900-1518114758_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-35478800-1518114782_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-51245600-1518114789_thumb.jpg

post-20663-0-29415200-1518114797_thumb.jpg

Edited by SDJR7F88
  • Like 7

So are we saying that these are now actually in the country and are being sent out?

Not quite yet, was asked if I would like to take a look at them for a video. Though from what I understand they are not far off. 

Edited by SDJR7F88

So are we saying that these are now actually in the country and are being sent out?

They're still bobbing up and down on a boat CK; you may have a nautical advantage on sighting them before other customers. Dig out your sextant, drop your mainsail, make way from Carrick Roads and you may catch a glimpse on the horizon.

• Like 1

So if I act like an over excited Springer Spaniel and promise to speak about the Hattons AB in glowing terms will the postie push one through my letterbox over the coming days?

P

Edited by Porcy Mane

Not my era, and (probably) not my area, but I like a couple of these.

Unfortunately, I share an office with (another) Katie who's a PITA, so that one's out.

The one built in the year of my birth is strangely alluring, although I'm not sure to what CPC refers (possibly Corn Products Company, but Wakipaedia also offers such possibilities as Climate Prediction [Centre], Cumberland Presbyterian Church, and Crisis pregnancy [centre]). I think it's unlikely that the anti-abortion lobby would've had their own shunting locos in the '60s though.

And the CR and GWR are undeniably pretty.

Edited by truffy
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Not my era, and (probably) not my area, but I like a couple of these.

Unfortunately, I share an office with (another) Katie who's a PITA, so that one's out.

The one built in the year of my birth is strangely alluring, although I'm not sure to what CPC refers (possibly Corn Products Company, but Wakipaedia also offers such possibilities as Climate Prediction [Centre], Cumberland Presbyterian Church, and Crisis pregnancy [centre]). I think it's unlikely that the anti-abortion lobby would've had their own shunting locos in the '60s though.

And the CR and GWR are undeniably pretty.

You were right first time, it is Corn Products Co UK, there are a couple of photos here of it shunting their Trafford Park Works.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/126141-andrew-barclay-14-16-0-4-0st-in-oo-gauge/page-4&do=findComment&comment=2850948

HTH

Moxy

Edited by Moxy

• RMweb Gold

They're still bobbing up and down on a boat CK; you may have a nautical advantage on sighting them before other customers. Dig out your sextant, drop your mainsail, make way from Carrick Roads and you may catch a glimpse on the horizon.

Arrrr, 'appen I might, mi 'earty!

We'm set a watch crew on a captured Frenchie frigate off Prawle Point. They'm got plenty o' rum an' no wifi, so they'm got nothing better to do!

I'll 'ave that Cathay merchantman put into Brixham and net me a nice trawl, so I will, else the Long Nines will speak out, for sure!

Edited by Captain Kernow

So if I act like an over excited Springer Spaniel and promise to speak about the Hattons AB in glowing terms will the postie push one through my letterbox over the coming days?

P

No chance Uncle Poorsea...you don't have a spinning table or a half finished layout to film them on...and your music choice can be a little eccentric...

...worried now that you'll see this as a challange...

• RMweb Gold

We'm set a watch crew on a captured Frenchie frigate off Prawle Point. They'm got plenty o' rum an' no wifi, so they'm got nothing better to do!

I'll 'ave that Cathay merchantman put into Brixham and net me a nice trawl, so I will, else the Long Nines will speak out, for sure!

I've left it in the car park, but I'm sure it'll be ok  :stinker: 

Signal Close Action, Cap'n?

England expects that every Barclay shall do it's duty...

• Like 1

No chance Uncle Poorsea...you don't have a spinning table 

Wanna bet?  Variable speed too.

post-508-0-03520100-1518132969_thumb.jpg

or a half finished layout to film them on......

Project Ovaltiny can be converted back to Double OOh in D00ble quick time, the down side being there's very little chance of carpet fluff being drawn into the mechanism.

...and your music choice can be a little eccentric...

Waddiya mean (lyke)! That's classic music, that is. See above vid.

...worried now that you'll see this as a challange...

I've no idea what a challange is but if Hattons Dave would like to post me a parcel, I'll happily take up the gauntlett.

...and less of the bl**dy Uncle. I might be one Wishdom Toosh lighter than I was at this time last week but I can still show you a clean pair of wheels.

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Not quite yet, was asked if I would like to take a look at them for a video. Though from what I understand they are not far off.

So these are models you paid for?

Probably better in future if you receive advance copies to declare that like the mags do. If your YouTube reviews are now attracting review copies and you make money from the adverts alongside, if not actual free goods, I think its best to declare it. ;)