Andrew Barclay 14" & 16" 0-4-0ST in OO Gauge

Hattons Dave

And is there a whisper yet about when the boat docks - or are they coming by the Silk Road?

If the 1:1 locos were ever exported to China, they would have gone by boat too, so thats a pleasingly historical symmetry....

To be honest, the later the better - it gives my wallet a chance to recover from Christmas!

Costs more, and how would you ever know it’s gone by rail ... It’s just another container delivered the last miles of its journey by road, same as any other.

Perhaps, but here in Australia long haul intermodal rail saw off most of its shipping competition years ago.  Rail has the dominant share from the East to Perth and Darwin. And while joe public might not be aware of how things are moved, the decision-makers do, as does the industry media. Mind you we run these services as 1.8km double-stack trains at 110km/hr, and that may not be possible in Europe. 

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps, but here in Australia long haul intermodal rail saw off most of its shipping competition years ago. Rail has the dominant share from the East to Perth and Darwin. And while joe public might not be aware of how things are moved, the decision-makers do, as does the industry media. Mind you we run these services as 1.8km double-stack trains at 110km/hr, and that may not be possible in Europe.

Europe has the unions of Poland, Germany, Holland, Belgium and last and mostly the French to deal with, plus the greasy palms of Russian and Belorussian officials and who knows Ukrainian ones too. Not much chance of double stack or even 1.8km length trains in Europe.. that’s the distance between some stations, then there is changes of Gauge, China-Russia, Russia -Europe, plus each country has its own signalling system and politics.. you won’t find German or Polish locos deep in each other’s country, then there’s different voltages 3000vdc,1500vdc and 25kv AC requiring additional loco changes... though at least when it can actually move after it’s been strangled by that lot.. it can go fast, until UK customs (and everyone else’s rules/regulations about what’s allowed and not allowed to pass through its territory)..but by the time it reaches UK..then it’s loaded onto a lorry anyway.

Europe is unified by common standards.. they say.

The reason why it’s such big news, is that after a decade of negotiating all that lot they have made such a train possible, but it goes back empty, like all other shipping containers to China.

It’s a bit faster than boat, not as fast as air, both of which are much less bureaucratic.

Much as I like the idea of Rail for such long distance I struggle for its use case..

Cost sensitive Chinese goods will always be by sea, urgent will be by air is there anything that’s neither cost sensitive nor urgent ?

For example: I can’t see Royal Mail paying more to ship by Rail slightly faster than by ship for its surface Mail, and airmail is by definition air.

Edited by adb968008

Europe has the unions of Poland, Germany, Holland, Belgium and last and mostly the French to deal with

"Big Snip"

And putting all the bureaucracy and politics to one side, once a container is offloaded in the Un-united Kingdom, whether it's onward journey is by road or rail it gets delayed for hours on end because 1mm of snow*  has fallen bringing the road/rail network to halt.

*insert weather of choice.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane

I can't wait for my Barclays to arrive, especially NCB Ayrshire Area No. 10, which I was on the footplate many times in NCB days in the 1970s. (My father worked for the NCB at Waterside, Dunaskin.) There were 6 locos that I recall from those days. Numbers 10,19,21 and then No.1 which arrived in 1976 were the 0-4-0s and Numbers 17 & 24 were the 0-6-0 side tank locos. Sadly steam working at Waterside came to an end in 1978 with the closure of Pennyvenie Colliery. I'd love a model of No.17 which was my favourite Waterside loco. Any future plans to produce a Big Barclay?

• Like 1

In production but not on the boat yet 

http://www.hattons.co.uk/projectupdates

No different to the holidays then. Maybe they'll sprout wings? although with transport costs being factored into the final retail price, I doubt it.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/126141-andrew-barclay-14-16-0-4-0st-in-oo-gauge/page-20&do=findComment&comment=2976273

P

Edited by Porcy Mane

I'm modelling the terminus of a fictitious agricultural light railway circa mid-30s that (in my mind) runs from Louth in Lincolnshire out to the coast, a distance of about 12-ish miles. Would the Barclay be a suitable loco for such a line or would the mileage prove problematic?

I'm aware that more suitable locos are available in kit form but my kit building skills are hysterical, and I'm on a strict budget.

• Like 1

I'm modelling the terminus of a fictitious agricultural light railway circa mid-30s that (in my mind) runs from Louth in Lincolnshire out to the coast, a distance of about 12-ish miles. Would the Barclay be a suitable loco for such a line or would the mileage prove problematic?

I'm aware that more suitable locos are available in kit form but my kit building skills are hysterical, and I'm on a strict budget.

I don't know how far one of these Barclays can go on a tank of water and a couple of bunkers of coal but they weren't designed for runs that long,so they really wouldn't be ideal for that sort of use and may even have to coal and water at the end of one run in one direction. They have small wheels and a very short wheelbase and if you've ever been on the footplate of one, or ridden in a coach behind one at "speed" you'll appreciate why they aren't suited to that sort of work over that sort of distance.

Its not impossible, but you'd need some minor modifications. I have seen photies of the Aberdeen Gas Works Barclays with sacks of coal on the running plate, and it wouldn't be too difficult to park an old Lancashire boiler by the line for water, but... as Ruston says its not ideal either, and its not just Barclays, you'd have the same trouble with Pecketts. 

Can't you shift the location nearer to the coast?

Its worth noting by way of a parallel that the North Sunderland Railway, linking Seahouses with the ECML at Chathill was only 5 miles.

That's what I suspected, and it's the reason I didn't go for a Peckett either.

I've got an old Bachmann J72 that I was considering repainting, i'll have to stick with that until the DJ Hudswell Clarke arrives.

Thanks.

Edited by CrossEyedMary
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That's what I suspected, and it's the reason I didn't go for a Peckett either.

I've got an old Bachmann J72 that I was considering repainting, i'll have to stick with that until the DJ Hudswell Clarke arrives.

Thanks.

It's a shame that ARC models stopped making their bodykits for the electrotren chassis.

• RMweb Gold

Light railways often used old, sold-out-of-service main line locos, so I think that the J72 is actually an excellent choice.

Here is one of mine, to be used on the Vale of Radnor Light Railway:

post-57-0-92827800-1515442186.jpg

(It has acquired a new chassis, due to the old Mainline split chassis stopping working).

I can't wait for my Barclays to arrive, especially NCB Ayrshire Area No. 10, which I was on the footplate many times in NCB days in the 1970s. (My father worked for the NCB at Waterside, Dunaskin.) There were 6 locos that I recall from those days. Numbers 10,19,21 and then No.1 which arrived in 1976 were the 0-4-0s and Numbers 17 & 24 were the 0-6-0 side tank locos. Sadly steam working at Waterside came to an end in 1978 with the closure of Pennyvenie Colliery. I'd love a model of No.17 which was my favourite Waterside loco. Any future plans to produce a Big Barclay?

Like this model of No24?

This is the ARC models resin body on a modified High Level chassis and features on Kirkmellington post-7035-0-90740000-1515442577_thumb.jpeg

• Like 6

Light railways often used old, sold-out-of-service main line locos, so I think that the J72 is actually an excellent choice.

Here is one of mine, to be used on the Vale of Radnor Light Railway:

attachicon.gif20170817_193033.jpg

(It has acquired a new chassis, due to the old Mainline split chassis stopping working).

Given the East Lincolnshire setting of my layout, the LNER would be the go-to company for sourcing 2nd hand motive power. That and the fact that J72 models are all old enough to be obtainable on the cheap, just hope the chassis on mine stays alive. Edited by CrossEyedMary
  • Like 1

Given the East Lincolnshire setting of my layout, the LNER would be the go-to company for sourcing 2nd hand motive power. That and the fact that J72 models are all old enough to be obtainable on the cheap, just hope the chassis on mine stays alive.

They tried a hired J72 on the North Sunderland but it kept splitting the track on one of the curves. It may not be the happiest of precedents but its certainly a precedent and "hiring" it would mean no need to repaint.

As to your chassis, I don't know what the Bachmann one is like; mine is an original Mainline and after I stripped it down - completely - and cleaned it at the end of last year it runs splendidly

Given the East Lincolnshire setting of my layout, the LNER would be the go-to company for sourcing 2nd hand motive power. That and the fact that J72 models are all old enough to be obtainable on the cheap, just hope the chassis on mine stays alive.

Just done a quick bit of checking. There were just two J71s sold off - one to the Cambois Colliery at Blyth [Northumberland] and the other to Ryhope Colliery and none of the J72s got sold off.

Employing Rule 1 you may decide otherwise and repaint yours in a fetching sky-blue pink livery, but in terms of authenticity the best plan would be to follow the North Sunderland and run it in LNER or British Railways livery depending on your time period and explain that its been hired to cover for the usual loco while its off to be mended. 

Just done a quick bit of checking. There were just two J71s sold off - one to the Cambois Colliery at Blyth [Northumberland] and the other to Ryhope Colliery and none of the J72s got sold off.

Employing Rule 1 you may decide otherwise and repaint yours in a fetching sky-blue pink livery, but in terms of authenticity the best plan would be to follow the North Sunderland and run it in LNER or British Railways livery depending on your time period and explain that its been hired to cover for the usual loco while its off to be mended.

I'm happy to settle for a plausible scenario rather than a totally authentic one. I have considered getting a J11 in LNER livery to pose as a hired loco as a couple of them were kept at Louth shed for a period, though l don't know how well one would cope shunting over my standard Hornby points.

There was at least one of the pre-J71 types that were rebuilt into J72 look-alikes sold out of service.  Milford Haven docks were one of the recipients here..

A significant number of the saddletanks replaced by the J71/J72 series were also sold off by the NER before World War 1.  Some of these lasted into the sixties.  Given the number of other liberties we take with history when we make our model railways a replacement sourced by a lineside user for one of these isn't entirely inappropriate.

The ER and NER weren't exactly pro-active post 1948 when it came to selling off old engines for service, and in the one case where they were (a batch of J94s) most failed to sell.

Les