Andrew Barclay 14" & 16" 0-4-0ST in OO Gauge

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

As we did with the P Class, we've produced a few short videos showing the unboxing, running and digital fitting of our Andrew Barclay locomotives.

We'd love to hear your thoughts and feedback both on the models and the videos as well.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Dave, good to see the videos, and smooth running through the pointwork, excellent!

Just a thought, but can you ditch the tinkly piano background music from the 'running session' video, or for some of it, so we can hear (or not, as the case may be?) the mechanism of the locos while they're running?

cheers,

Keith

• Like 1

The locos look superb and run really well. Having a short video on how to fit a chip is an excellent idea and should be followed by other manufacturers.

I have already pre ordered one and am now thinking of another!

I wonder if any of the first batch have already sold out on pre order?

David

• RMweb Premium

I don't even have an OO layout but I've got to admit I'm really looking forward to getting one of these. A good coating of grime and they'll look great. Also, another thanks for a video showing decoder installation. More manufacturers should consider doing similar.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Dave, good to see the videos, and smooth running through the pointwork, excellent!

Just a thought, but can you ditch the tinkly piano background music from the 'running session' video, or for some of it, so we can hear (or not, as the case may be?) the mechanism of the locos while they're running?

cheers,

Keith

They do look great and seem to run well at the speeds you were demonstrating.

What are they like at a slow crawl, please?

Afternoon all,

Hopefully this quick video that we shot today will help out in regards the slow running and noise levels during running.

Could Hattons Dave confirm that all of the proposed AB models have the same wheelbase please.

Thanks,

P

That is correct. All 12 versions will use the more common 6' wheelbase. We couldn't justify adding an extra tooling option for the 7' wheelbase as it would have impacted the selling price too much.

And do the 14" and 16" prototypes have the same wheel diameters, please?

Both the 14" and 16" versions do indeed share the same diameter wheels.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I hope this helps.

No my bank manager says you are most unhelpful to their making any money from me ;)

That runs beautifully :)

I've ordered mine anyway, so am very much looking forward to it.

I like the vague "ordered mine" I must remember that can mean 1 not several ;) Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1

That is correct. All 12 versions will use the more common 6' wheelbase. We couldn't justify adding an extra tooling option for the 7' wheelbase as it would have impacted the selling price too much.

Thanks. I appreciate it.

P

Excellent videos, as someone said above, would be useful if all manufactures took a leaf out of Hatton's book.

On the decoder used, will a Gaugemaster DCC28 fit in the body or does it have to be a DCC23?

I have just had to order one as they do look the part.

Edited by gz3xzf

• RMweb Gold

Anybody else spot what looks very like a Gresley Open Third in the siding a few seconds into the Running Session?

John

EDIT: Sorry if I got anyone over excited. I've watched it again and realised that it's the O Gauge Dia.186 already announced.

Hope they do decide to shoot them down to 4mm, though.

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

Hopefully this quick video that we shot today will help out in regards the slow running and noise levels during running.

Hi Dave,

Can you confirm some technical aspects of your test track? What type of points are they? (Live or dead frog?) what gradient is that, and what is the radius?

• RMweb Gold

Excellent videos, as someone said above, would be useful if all manufactures took a leaf out of Hatton's book.

On the decoder used, will a Gaugemaster DCC28 fit in the body or does it have to be a DCC23?

I have just had to order one as they do look the part.

Hi Bryan, it will have to be a DCC23 as it's a very small area required to fit in the motor, drive train and socket as well.

Hi Dave,

Can you confirm some technical aspects of your test track? What type of points are they? (Live or dead frog?) what gradient is that, and what is the radius?

Hi John,

The test track has 1st, 2nd and 3rd radius curves. It features a variety of points and crossovers from a variety of manufacturers. Most pointwork is insulfrog with the exception of one right hand point at the front of the outer loop.

The gradient is just over 3% at it's steepest and is the maximum we would recommend if you were looking to have an incline on a home layout.

We purposefully planned the test track to comprise 99% of situations that a model is likely to face in regular use, the Barclays have performed well across them all.

post-28458-0-39586600-1518015747_thumb.png

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 2

DCC Fitting vid excellent-

Only one omission.  The bit that says "Check it functions on DCC before putting the body back on".

Is the tiny TCX chip (the only one that goes into the Electrotren beastie) also recommended?

Les

I have a few green ones too, Doug, but the red will match up with the Hornby J94 (ex-Harry). I liked the open cab on the red one too.

I'll rename and number mine, so it won't get confused with yours if we combine forces sometime. :D

p.s. Besides the repainted blue pannier tank, I have two red ones of those too - in London Transport livery! :P

Edited by SRman

• RMweb Premium

Yes these look nice. Don’t need one but the red one looks nice. I see Samstrains on YouTube has reviewed the Caley one. Very nice indeed. Good to see Hattons engaging with new marketing channels

Yes these look nice. Don’t need one but the red one looks nice. I see Samstrains on YouTube has reviewed the Caley one. Very nice indeed. Good to see Hattons engaging with new marketing channels

Sams Trains is an interesting take on reviewing items but it will reach people that maybe wouldn't generally look away from the red box.

His track did show up the difficultly with 0-4-0 tanks and insulfrog points so it was good that Hattons have their own running videos that show smooth travel over insulfrogs.