SECR P Class 0-6-0T in OO Gauge from Hattons

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Gold

On topic discussion is often very helpful and informative. We owe a lot to the experts on here who share their considerable knowledge and experiences.

I find the “drivel” hugely entertaining.

When a model is still at the gestation stage, the only official source of info is the supplier, or his acknowledged advisers, one or two of whom may be empowered to reveal themselves and their knowledge on RMweb. Rumours, reminiscences and ramblings are an inevitable result of a forum thread "in waiting". 

• RMweb Gold

Here I am standing in the drizzle, reading 'drivel' and picking up interesting bits of info here n there.

Meanwhile my P's are enjoying a cruise before being put to work. Britain gave the world railways and built many of their locos, China are now returning the favour in small and larger scales ;)

• Like 5

Britain gave the world railways and built many of their locos, China are now returning the favour in small and larger scales ;)

Yes but it makes me cross to think that we have made an unholy mess of our railways. Money which could have been devoted to improving our network is spent on change, arguing about who is responsible for what or passed on to shareholders. Rail manufacturing companies were privatised, then allowed to collapse because no-one was investing with de-nationalisation on the horizon. We now either buy from abroad or assemble here for foreign firms. All this in a country which within the memories of most of us, was a world leader in railways. British Rail(ways) was by no means without fault but it did do more with less money than just about anyone else.

I feel that we are starting to make some sort of progress but much of that progress is sorting out a mess which shouldn’t have been created in the first place. HS2 is attacked left, right and centre but at least it’s a long-term plan to give us something that will let us look the Chinese, the Japanese and the (gasp) French in the eye.

Now, where did I leave my tablets?

• Like 1

Is anyone planning an early re-livery or other modification of theirs?

Yes, to the 2 Wainwright liveried models; fitting alternative buffers that I understand will be included, removing the rivets from the smoke-box wrapper and probably re-numbering one. 

Scratch-building the 3 6-wheel coaches to go with one will be the hard part!

• Like 1

Yes, to the 2 Wainwright liveried models; fitting alternative buffers that I understand will be included, removing the rivets from the smoke-box wrapper and probably re-numbering one. 

Scratch-building the 3 6-wheel coaches to go with one will be the hard part!

I'm going to go with a trio of Ratio GWR 4 wheelers, suitably coloured and relabelled for my mine.....

(a bit more "authentic" than the redecorated Hornby 4 wheelers that trundle along behind my Terriers!)

• Like 2

I think I'm going to have to get one, and consider some kind of a re-livery to that of a loco sold-out-of-service to an impecunious light railway.

If it went to a "Stevens" type "impecunious light railway", wouldn't it just stay in its last service livery plus a lot of muck?

I think I'm going to have to get one, and consider some kind of a re-livery to that of a loco sold-out-of-service to an impecunious light railway.

In a similar vein, I would be tempted to buy 'Bluebell', but back-date the buffers and smoke-box wrapper to represent a loco sold out of service by the SE&CR before the Southern added these modern features.  The P would need to be old enough to be disposed of second-hand, so perhaps the sale could have been, say 1919-1920.

One might then imagine Ashford offering to re-paint it for the new owners, and the new owners requesting blue.  There are examples of sold-out-of service locos being re-liveried by the vendor before delivery, and this would explain why Ashford painters, no doubt mourning the demise of Wainwright livery in these days of austere unlined grey, applied the old style of lining to the customer's blue livery. 

Thus, almost anything can be justified on your layout if you put your mind to it!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Is anyone planning an early re-livery or other modification of theirs?

Yes, I've noticed the likeness of the P class to the LNER J79

https://www.lner.info/locos/J/j79.php

Yes, only 3 J79s were built, and the last only lasted until 1955 in either colliery or factory use, but it would be rather fun to amend a P to a J79, especially if you are loooking for general likeness, rather than adherence to the last rivet. Has anyone else had similar thoughts?

John Storey

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes, I've noticed the likeness of the P class to the LNER J79

https://www.lner.info/locos/J/j79.php

Yes, only 3 J79s were built, and the last only lasted until 1955 in either colliery or factory use, but it would be rather fun to amend a P to a J79, especially if you are loooking for general likeness, rather than adherence to the last rivet. Has anyone else had similar thoughts?

John Storey

Hadn't realised the similarities, but what if some 'P' class locos had been sold to collieries down south? More opportunities!

More or less my plan. I’m getting the Bowater version and will get some nameplates from Narrow Planet plus some weathering and away we go!

Cheers,

David

• Like 1

Hadn't realised the similarities, but what if some 'P' class locos had been sold to collieries down south? More opportunities!

I understand that there were loans, but the P was far too light and weak for colliery use.  Won't stop mine pottering around the screens on No Place.  After all if a Beattie can shunt the screens why not a P?

Les

• Like 3

What has all of this foregoing drivel got to do with the P class loco? It's a shame that so many threads on this site degenerate into complete nonsense.

Because some people like to think of their hobby as a bit of fun, where they can share a bit of light hearted banter and enjoy themselves, rather taking it more seriously than a heart attack.

You can always skip past the posts that you find annoying or "drivel" and just read the ones that you find relevant.

I am fully supportive of your decision to enjoy your hobby as you see fit, but this is a pastime for all sorts and people of all ages, backgrounds and with varying attitudes to what they like to gain from the hobby. (Me - well I spend my working hours employed on the 1:1 scale railway so this is what I do to have a bit of fun and not get too caught up in being overly pedantic, but I appreciate that there are others who try to take it more seriously. It's not My cup of tea but I don't Pooh Pooh others for it).

I think We could all do with a little lightening up, the world's a serious enough place as it is. Model railways (or any hobby come to think of it) should be an escape and this forum is an extension of that. The very definition of forum being - an assembly, meeting place, for the discussion or questions of public interest.

What you may find of interest may be of no significance to others and vice versa, but a little more tolerance can't be a bad thing.

Perhaps We as a group made up of (mostly) older and supposedly wiser individuals, should look at each others differences with an open mind instead of referring to the opinions of others as "Drivel".

Have a good day :)

Edit - Perhaps if you don't wish to see or read through the many and varying comments made by others, you could start a few topics (or even a web page) of your own, where you could in fact lay down some ground rules at the start and therefore have a little more control over the content rather than wishing to censor comments made in a public forum. Just a suggestion !

Edited by The Blue Streak
  • Like 3

Because some people like to think of their hobby as a bit of fun, where they can share a bit of light hearted banter and enjoy themselves, rather taking it more seriously than a heart attack.

You can always skip past the posts that you find annoying or "drivel" and just read the ones that you find relevant.

I am fully supportive of your decision to enjoy your hobby as you see fit, but this is a pastime for all sorts and people of all ages, backgrounds and with varying attitudes to what they like to gain from the hobby. (Me - well I spend my working hours employed on the 1:1 scale railway so this is what I do to have a bit of fun and not get too caught up in being overly pedantic, but I appreciate that there are others who try to take it more seriously. It's not My cup of tea but I don't Pooh Pooh others for it).

I think We could all do with a little lightening up, the world's a serious enough place as it is. Model railways (or any hobby come to think of it) should be an escape and this forum is an extension of that. The very definition of forum being - an assembly, meeting place, for the discussion or questions of public interest.

What you may find of interest may be of no significance to others and vice versa, but a little more tolerance can't be a bad thing.

Perhaps We as a group made up of (mostly) older and supposedly wiser individuals, should look at each others differences with an open mind instead of referring to the opinions of others as "Drivel".

Have a good day :)

Edit - Perhaps if you don't wish to see or read through the many and varying comments made by others, you could start a few topics (or even a web page) of your own, where you could in fact lay down some ground rules at the start and therefore have a little more control over the content rather than wishing to censor comments made in a public forum. Just a suggestion !

Mr.Moderator, sir ......... can we have a drivel-rating marker ( 1-10 ) on each post so we know WHICH ones to skip past .... er .... or not as the case may be !!?!

( Then if we can sequence by rating we can start by reading the daftest first if we so choose ! )

• Like 2

Mr.Moderator, sir ......... can we have a drivel-rating marker ( 1-10 ) on each post so we know WHICH ones to skip past .... er .... or not as the case may be !!?!

( Then if we can sequence by rating we can start by reading the daftest first if we so choose ! )

See, that's getting into the spirit of things. :)

See, that's getting into the spirit of things. :)

Drivel Factor 10+

With comments like that you'll start a digression on the merits of types of Whisky and the use thereof in imparting a Scottish atmosphere to a layout involving a distillery via a Seuth smoke generator....

Ooops...

• Like 1