Ebay annoyances

Butler Henderson

Had a look back through the last few pages of this Thread, tried a search as well and nothing came up, so apologies if this has already been discussed, "but"......

Has anyone else had trouble using Ebay 'click & collect' recently?

Twice now I've ordered stuff and selected local shops to collect from; first time I had a message to say it had been delivered to the shop, but even after a few days no collection code came. I went in with my ebay order details printed out & my driving licence as ID, & the shop assistant found my parcel & allowed me to have it, but said to let ebay know. I can't see how to do this.

Second time was a couple of weeks ago, but using another shop. The expected delivery date came & went - no notification or code from ebay was ever received. The shop owner in this case flatly refused to even look if he had a parcel in my name. Fortunately the Seller refunded me without quibble, but I am very wary of using Ebay's click & collect again.

Just wondered if anyone else has had this problem, as there doesn't seem to be a way to raise the issue (of not getting a collection code) with Ebay.

• Friendly/supportive 1

56 minutes ago, ianmacc said:

Here is my annoyance. No need to elaborate. 

Despise undeserved non-positive feedback!

4C8B4E84-7AA6-465A-A9DD-A801325E3BC7.jpeg

57 minutes ago, ianmacc said:

Did you get the wagons?

14 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

Had a look back through the last few pages of this Thread, tried a search as well and nothing came up, so apologies if this has already been discussed, "but"......

Has anyone else had trouble using Ebay 'click & collect' recently?

Twice now I've ordered stuff and selected local shops to collect from; first time I had a message to say it had been delivered to the shop, but even after a few days no collection code came. I went in with my ebay order details printed out & my driving licence as ID, & the shop assistant found my parcel & allowed me to have it, but said to let ebay know. I can't see how to do this.

Second time was a couple of weeks ago, but using another shop. The expected delivery date came & went - no notification or code from ebay was ever received. The shop owner in this case flatly refused to even look if he had a parcel in my name. Fortunately the Seller refunded me without quibble, but I am very wary of using Ebay's click & collect again.

Just wondered if anyone else has had this problem, as there doesn't seem to be a way to raise the issue (of not getting a collection code) with Ebay.

...ebay don't care .

6 hours ago, MartinWales said:

Worth considering reporting to ebay, methinks! There is such a thing as mutual respect!

Ebay won't do anything about that.  They might delete the remark if he had used obscene language, but he's allowed to block anybody if he chooses, and he's allowed to respond to negative or neutral feedback. 

I don't see that it will affect any other trades you do on ebay.  Many people don't look at feedback at all, those who do tend to look at the percentage rather than any wording.  I do sometimes look at people's negative & neutral feedback, and form a view as to whether there is any pattern of either obnoxious attitude on the seller's part or dischuffed buyers with valid issues or sometimes just being petty.

There is certainly a pattern in some places of couriers not bothering to ring doorbells or leaving at wrong address, but my impression is that is localised and down to bad management by the courier companies  (and in some places the post office is no better).  When I have been selling, I have sometimes been asked (before purchase) not to use a particular company because of such issues.

1 minute ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Ebay won't do anything about that.  They might delete the remark if he had used obscene language, but he's allowed to block anybody if he chooses, and he's allowed to respond to negative or neutral feedback. 

I don't see that it will affect any other trades you do on ebay.  Many people don't look at feedback at all, those who do tend to look at the percentage rather than any wording.  I do sometimes look at people's negative & neutral feedback, and form a view as to whether there is any pattern of either obnoxious attitude on the seller's part or dischuffed buyers with valid issues or sometimes just being petty.

There is certainly a pattern in some places of couriers not bothering to ring doorbells or leaving at wrong address, but my impression is that is localised and down to bad management by the courier companies  (and in some places the post office is no better).  When I have been selling, I have sometimes been asked (before purchase) not to use a particular company because of such issues.

Interesting thoughts, that's why I always use RM

• RMweb Gold
On 16/04/2021 at 09:15, ianmacc said:

Well he is right. It was not his fault if the parcel was left with a neighbour, so why raise it in his feedback?

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I agree with most of what you say, but the Post Office delivers nothing, however you might end up collecting a parcel from them

For some time many have been warning sellers of the danger of using Hermes, they have some very good couriers but also some very bad ones, this is further compounded by a nearly unusable customer services and a poor attitude to compensation

I need to be clear on this! 

I am the seller not the buyer. 

I was very aggrieved at a non-positive feedback for something out of my control. It wasn’t the first from the same buyer (and a couple of others) for reasons wholly out of my control as a seller! Did I go a bit far calling him a muppet? Probably but it was the straw that broke the camel’s back and I didn’t show the others. 

I have to put up with these on my record for a year. People say that nobody looks so it doesn’t matter but people do notice.

I am more surprised by the majority of people thinking that it’s okay to mark sellers down on that type of thing. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

7 minutes ago, ianmacc said:

I need to be clear on this! 

I am the seller not the buyer. 

I was very aggrieved at a non-positive feedback for something out of my control. It wasn’t the first from the same buyer (and a couple of others) for reasons wholly out of my control as a seller! Did I go a bit far calling him a muppet? Probably but it was the straw that broke the camel’s back and I didn’t show the others. 

I have to put up with these on my record for a year. People say that nobody looks so it doesn’t matter but people do notice.

I am more surprised by the majority of people thinking that it’s okay to mark sellers down on that type of thing. 

Whilst I don't agree with what the buyer has done, was the carrier Hermes ?

Edited by hayfield

1 minute ago, ianmacc said:

Hi.

No. I use the Royal Mail. 

In that case you are better off without this person as a customed, especially as its the second time. As you can respond to negative comments if they are out of your control I expect potential buyers would accept this. Strange about getting a few negative comments though

As a buyer I never look at a sellers feedback, its the item which interests me. Rarely do I have any issues with sellers, if I do it is normally all down to the item getting damaged in transit, usually this is down to poor packing. I think I have had to open a dispute for 3 items in 17+ years. At least 2 of them the seller basically said it was my problem, not theirs.

5 minutes ago, hayfield said:

In that case you are better off without this person as a customed, especially as its the second time. As you can respond to negative comments if they are out of your control I expect potential buyers would accept this. Strange about getting a few negative comments though

As a buyer I never look at a sellers feedback, its the item which interests me. Rarely do I have any issues with sellers, if I do it is normally all down to the item getting damaged in transit, usually this is down to poor packing. I think I have had to open a dispute for 3 items in 17+ years. At least 2 of them the seller basically said it was my problem, not theirs.

I will always try to resolve issues with buyers but I’ve had the goodwill beaten out of me over the years with everything from trying it on to blatant cons! Of course each one of those gets me a negative or neutral while those who buy solely and never sell have the unblemished records! But that’s a subject that’s been done to death!

• Friendly/supportive 2

12 minutes ago, ianmacc said:

I will always try to resolve issues with buyers but I’ve had the goodwill beaten out of me over the years with everything from trying it on to blatant cons! Of course each one of those gets me a negative or neutral while those who buy solely and never sell have the unblemished records! But that’s a subject that’s been done to death!

I probably buy numerically a bit more than I sell, however buyers tend to give more feedback than sellers. As a buyer I give feedback soon after receiving the item, as a seller now I give feedback after the buyer gives me feedback, firstly it confirms receipt of the item, secondly if they cannot be bothered to give feedback why should I

As you say on the rare occasions there is an issue, the sooner you try and resolve it the easier it is to get a resolution.

It may be that I deal with kits/kit built/parts that few issues arise. Modellers may be a bit more understanding, or just appreciate finding an older item. I have heard about RTR items, especially high end ones can be troublesome

• Agree 2

One of the irritating aspects of some listings I see on ebay is interesting very small  items which would be good value in themselves but where the postage is (validly) so much more than the items,  with the result that the item just isn't worth the total. 

A pity that such things aren't sold as part of larger job lots where the same postage would be spread across other things. 

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

One of the irritating aspects of some listings I see on ebay is interesting very small  items which would be good value in themselves but where the postage is (validly) so much more than the items,  with the result that the item just isn't worth the total. 

A pity that such things aren't sold as part of larger job lots where the same postage would be spread across other things. 

I agree with you in that very high postage does put a lot of buyers off and can be counter productive, I once bought/won a whitemetal loco kit with economy postage of £10, madness ? no it was well under the usual selling prices these kits attract , from memory I paid about a third under what I expected. I look at the total price including postage, like many I put a value on an item, then subtract postage to arrive at my maximum bid.

Postage is just one of the elements in valuing an items worth

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, hayfield said:

Postage is just one of the elements in valuing an items worth

It's also more expensive than some buyers expect.  Any package over 500g ( eg a locomotive) costs €14 to send from Ireland to GB. This increases to €21 if you want tracking and insurance.

Screenshot_20210419-120100_Chrome.jpg.ab95de9d8b8288987a104aa8b4c0defc.jpg

10 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

It's also more expensive than some buyers expect.  Any package over 500g ( eg a locomotive) costs €14 to send from Ireland to GB. This increases to €21 if you want tracking and insurance.

Screenshot_20210419-120100_Chrome.jpg.ab95de9d8b8288987a104aa8b4c0defc.jpg

I do feel a bit sorry for those who model the UK railways but live abroad, as a buyer unless I find something cheap which the Chinese government subsidizes I don't even consider buying from abroad. As a seller I now don't include an international price in my postage details, I do though suggest they contact me for a price 

No doubt the eBay seller Gostude will find it so much harder to sell items, but judging the price on his kitbuilt items there is plenty of profit to dip into 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/04/2021 at 10:38, hayfield said:

I accept a bit annoying but not a game changer, usually I am in credit but if the odd item takes me over I use the credit card, they repay it later once the bill arrives. I keep saying I am going to stop buying from eBay but the odd tempting item still pops up. Perhaps it will curb my ebay spending and increase buys from manufacturers ?

The eBay payment change caught up with me today, as it happens last months payment fees cleared out my PayPal account and I have sold little in the past 2 months, I might even still use PayPal for my model railway purchases. I will wait and see

• RMweb Premium

I went onto the ridiculous Managed Payment system on Monday, have since sold thirty five quids worth of items, paid postage on said items, dispatched and just discovered that 'Available' on Ebay's system does not mean I actually have the money yet, I won't see a penny until at least Tuesday now.

Ridiculous!!!

In banking terms, we are back in 1975....

• Agree 3