Ebay annoyances

Butler Henderson

• RMweb Premium

Simple annoyances at the moment a number of photos not worth sending by recorded but which have gone missing and getting a neutral with a comment of 'good photo and securely posted' How does that work, another eBay er with a low feedback score who is now blocked. 

14 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

In the context of eBay sales being delivered, the chances are that if someone receives a delivery and knows it was tracked, they are less likely to claim it wasnt delivered (and risk being copped for fraud) than if there was nothing at all. So it probably has some benefit, given it only costs about a pound more for a small 2nd class parcel.

I have noticed some packages with non Royal Mail “Tracked Post” or similar labels, with some form of Bar Code...

It seems that this is a ruse to make the recipient believe that the package has been tracked, so to not be tempted to claim non delivery...

A risky strategy, as it doesn’t take much to find that these labels are for sale...I think I have seen some on...eBay!

Edit: There’s loads!

Example...

D2A347B6-35F6-40B4-AC8A-F5B53AD8691D.jpeg.e15f79a7a4beffbecf1a1a1f2c7ec01e.jpeg

<>  Ideal for mailers, envelopes, parcels etc 

<>  Used by sellers to stick onto parcels prior to posting 

<> The label itself has no external tracking purpose and is not endorsed by Royal Mail or any other carrier.

<> The labels are only to try and reduce INR cases.

<> These tracking labels do not offer any tracking to your parcels. It is an offence to charge a customer for a 

tracking service where no online tracking is available.

<>  These labels offer a deterrent from a potential non-delivery claim only.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DUMMY-TRACKING-STICKERS-Bar-Code-Postal-INR-Labels-tracked-post-delivery/174262718394?

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
More added
  • Like 1

I sold a computer for parts recently; the buyer did not pay until after a non-paying bidder alert had been filed and the transaction was about to be cancelled. Item was sent tracked but that didn't stop him opening a dispute saying 'item not received' despite the tracking confirming delivery; once escalated ebay quickly found in my favour. I can only think that the claim was filed on the off chance that I would not respond and he'd get his money back. In general model railway buyers are much better!

• Friendly/supportive 4

13 hours ago, andyman7 said:

I sold a computer for parts recently; the buyer did not pay until after a non-paying bidder alert had been filed and the transaction was about to be cancelled. Item was sent tracked but that didn't stop him opening a dispute saying 'item not received' despite the tracking confirming delivery; once escalated ebay quickly found in my favour. I can only think that the claim was filed on the off chance that I would not respond and he'd get his money back. In general model railway buyers are much better!

This is a first that I have heard of a dispute with a kit builder, it could be one of us older absent minded folk forgetting it came or confusing it with another sale, still an apology would not have gone amiss

1 hour ago, Blandford1969 said:

Sadly my experience has been the railway modelers are the worst 

From what I have read the majority of issues is mainly with RTR models at the expensive end

I am interested in kit built items and related parts, anything that comes in lots out of my interest area or ready to run is sold off. As a seller I have found with both messages and feedback (from buyers) that these modellers are very easy and appreciative to deal with. Some infact are actually over the moon at buying some obscure kit item

As a buyer it seems likeminded folk (modellers rather than collectors) are equally as helpful, but unlike traders have more time to spend on sales.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Blandford1969 said:

Sadly my experience has been the railway modelers are the worst 

Same here I have sent various items all over the world but the  two  that went badly wrong in a deliberate and crooked way  were railway modellers , apart from a real ripoff merchant who bought a unimat off me .Strangley in that case I ended up with the Unimat back minus a destroyed motor and all my money back .

• Friendly/supportive 4

On 12/12/2020 at 11:14, John M Upton said:

I agree about the Royal Mail's tracking, utterly hopeless.  As it only updates you when your item has actually been delivered, it is pretty pointless to be honest.

You only get full tracking if you use special delivery. EDIT : Im on about services offred by post offices.  Tracked 24 and 48 also obviously offer it.

For signed for and standard parcels you will only see 2 sometimes 3 entries - accepted at post office, we have it and delivered ( or delivery attempted )

Edited by meatloaf

• RMweb Premium

well last night i thought i had got one of the old style farish MK 1 for a cheap £15 including posting look at my Emails this morning the seller had refunded me saying that he had listed it in error and no longer had the coach (me thinks he wanted more for it)

I have left negative feedback as this is not the first time he had done this 

John 

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

This should be stamped down on, I would keep a record and see if he relist the item if so complain to eBay

There are 2 easy ways of not selling your minimum value of the item, either put in a reserve price, or start it at the minimum you would accept for it

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, hayfield said:

This should be stamped down on, I would keep a record and see if he relist the item if so complain to eBay

There are 2 easy ways of not selling your minimum value of the item, either put in a reserve price, or start it at the minimum you would accept for it

i am keeping an eye out to see if it is relisted 

John 

12 hours ago, Bucoops said:

Ebay annoyance - 5% cashback and 10X nectar points and I can't find anything I want!

I have a Paypal annoyance, I received an  loco kit not as described, the seller sent me a refund on the 18th of December and its still pending, as it happens I have a balance in my account and not needed to use it. As it happens I can use an alternative payment if needed. But the principal is, they take my money immediately, they should give it back just as quickly. If the chap defaults they should take it up with him, not me. its a partial refund !!!!. 

A message has been sent, awaiting a reply

By the way I have not seen anything I want at a price I consider good value

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, hayfield said:

I have a Paypal annoyance, I received an  loco kit not as described, the seller sent me a refund on the 18th of December and its still pending, as it happens I have a balance in my account and not needed to use it.

It happens all the time.   Last month I bought two items on the same day from the same seller, via Paypal, pay after delivery.   Seller immediatley rebated £4 for combined postage.   eBay showed my total purchase as £66, but when Paypal eventually took their payment they debited £70 from my bank.   Nor was the £4 showing up in my Paypal balance.   The £4 still showed as pending.    At the beginning of last week, the £4 popped up just in time for Christmas, in my online bank account as a refund from Paypal.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Most card based payments take your money straight away but refunds take several days. It's one of those really annoying things that the card companies could fix quite easily I'm sure but they like having the money in limbo as they make money on it.

Pre-allocation is also really annoying - we used to only see it in restaurants in America - they take your card and swipe it, then give it back and you add the tip and you then end up with TWO pending charges, one without the tip and one with. You ave to wait several days for the one without the tip to expire.

Now we see it here all the time - e.g. Asda pre-allocate before a delivery, but then put the actual amount on as well once the out of stock items etc. are taken into account so again you have to wait a few days for the original amount to drop off. And it all counts towards your balance so you have to take that into account when managing your finances.

1 hour ago, Bucoops said:

Most card based payments take your money straight away but refunds take several days. It's one of those really annoying things that the card companies could fix quite easily I'm sure but they like having the money in limbo as they make money on it.

Pre-allocation is also really annoying - we used to only see it in restaurants in America - they take your card and swipe it, then give it back and you add the tip and you then end up with TWO pending charges, one without the tip and one with. You ave to wait several days for the one without the tip to expire.

Now we see it here all the time - e.g. Asda pre-allocate before a delivery, but then put the actual amount on as well once the out of stock items etc. are taken into account so again you have to wait a few days for the original amount to drop off. And it all counts towards your balance so you have to take that into account when managing your finances.

I assume they are waiting for a possible charge back, but had he bought something from me using his card I would get the money straight away, the fact is that this is a partial refund (getting my own money back) this is totally at odds with transfer money easily and quickly they advertise.

Had a stock answer from some minion within their ranks, so sent back a message of complaint stating they are outside their published timescales plus its a refund of my own money, 9 days and still waiting is a very awful banking service.  

On 02/12/2020 at 08:51, hayfield said:

I do agree with you, but quite often non-runner is used when the seller just can't be bothered, I would rather not ask the question in case the answer tips others off. I have found usually a completely dead loco comes with an explanation why

The number of “non runners” I’ve coaxed into life with nothing more than a dab of Peco electrolube!

On 15/12/2020 at 09:17, Skinnylinny said:

Another one to complain about Royal Mail's Signed-For service at the moment; I ordered a kit off eBay and the seller dutifully sent it signed-for. I got an email notification on a Saturday that it had been delivered and signed for, which was impressive as I was out of the house on a walk at the time! By the time I got home there was no sign of the parcel, and neither of my neighbours had it (or indeed had received any post). The name signing for the item wasn't one known to me, and of course the local Delivery Office was closed until Monday.

Imagine my surprise when the item showed up on Monday when I returned from work, despite having been "delivered and signed for" two days earlier!

This exact same thing has happened to me both as sender and recipient in this past couple of weeks! Being called a liar by the seller was infuriating as I had been in their position the week previously. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

13 hours ago, ianmacc said:

The number of “non runners” I’ve coaxed into life with nothing more than a dab of Peco electrolube!

Usually I just ignore the non runner statements unless a specific issue has been stated, but as I am interested in kits these are generally far easier to repair. As I said a couple of replies ago I bought a kit built loco with the motor being untested, I put a worst case valuation in knowing I have some head room if something needs changing. A loco that cost me £40 would cost £150+ if all the parts were bought new 

I stopped using electrolube ages ago and use WD40 sparingly as they both could cause other issues, on the motor only a clear spirit cleaner and a light oiling of the bearings

But as you say especially with older RTR locos they are easily fixed

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, hayfield said:

Usually I just ignore the non runner statements unless a specific issue has been stated, but as I am interested in kits these are generally far easier to repair. As I said a couple of replies ago I bought a kit built loco with the motor being untested, I put a worst case valuation in knowing I have some head room if something needs changing. A loco that cost me £40 would cost £150+ if all the parts were bought new 

I stopped using electrolube ages ago and use WD40 sparingly as they both could cause other issues, on the motor only a clear spirit cleaner and a light oiling of the bearings

But as you say especially with older RTR locos they are easily fixed

Hi. 

What sort of issues can electrolube cause? Aside from getting into the wheels and track if over enthusiastic with it of course! 

Thanks 

6 minutes ago, ianmacc said:

Hi. 

What sort of issues can electrolube cause? Aside from getting into the wheels and track if over enthusiastic with it of course! 

Thanks 

If it accidentally gets on the communicator, plus can leave a film on the track which attracts dirt. Used correctly its fine, but like anything can cause other issues, In the past I had issues (quite likely my fault) with it, so I keep well away from it.

• Thanks 1

On 27/12/2020 at 14:20, hayfield said:

I assume they are waiting for a possible charge back, but had he bought something from me using his card I would get the money straight away, the fact is that this is a partial refund (getting my own money back) this is totally at odds with transfer money easily and quickly they advertise.

Had a stock answer from some minion within their ranks, so sent back a message of complaint stating they are outside their published timescales plus its a refund of my own money, 9 days and still waiting is a very awful banking service.  

The funds have finally been cleared, its been pending since the 18th, Paypal confirmed I had buyer protection buy what is this worth when they refuse to credit your account ? I think I have heard eBay are going to offer a similar service, well I certainly will be trying it, nothing like competition to shake things up

The worst thing was to amount of different answers I received from their own online help and their agents, the amount of days changed each day, plus those answering the complaints seem to ignore a good part of the complaint just giving a stock answer usually different from the previous one. I thought they come under UK/EU banking laws, yet they seem oblivious to them

Still there is nothing much to spend my money on at the moment.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

What is it with sellers lately where the first photo and therefore the image that appears when scrolling through the listing search is of the box?  Surely the contents should be first up, the box last.

Especially annoying where the description is vague and the photo is that generic Athearn Blue Box that apart from length remained unchanged in twenty plus years!!!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 13/02/2021 at 15:45, John M Upton said:

...snip... Especially annoying where the description is vague and the photo is that generic Athearn Blue Box that apart from length remained unchanged in twenty plus years!!!

And the Yellow box that preceded it.

Edited by J. S. Bach

• RMweb Premium
On 13/02/2021 at 20:45, John M Upton said:

What is it with sellers lately where the first photo and therefore the image that appears when scrolling through the listing search is of the box?

I'm not sure it is necessarily happening fast enough to be the only reason at play here, but I'm convinced people are getting more stupid generally! :)

• Like 1