Price increase

Butler Henderson

I got an email yesterday from one retailer stating that Hornby were increasing all prices next week.

I would suggest your retailer checks again. There are a great deal of prices that are unchanged.

Buy now while stock lasts!

Maybe this is what you are meant to do. Then there will be less of the stock that there isn't a price increase on. No reason then for a "Stock Clearance Sale". Hornby return to profitability and we go back to having nothing to worry about. Problem solved in a few posts.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Prices are what they are and models cost what they cost.  Pay up and get on with your life, happy in the knowledge that standards of living are improving in China...

As that may be, A Hornby Railroad class 55 should not be retailing for £90. This is seen on Guagemaster's website, perhaps they are upping their prices to retain their profit margins against the manufactures demands but Hornby is suffering and it won't be long before they see a dramatic decrease in sales unless they review their company's image and what they want it to be. 

As that may be, A Hornby Railroad class 55 should not be retailing for £90. This is seen on Guagemaster's website, perhaps they are upping their prices to retain their profit margins against the manufactures demands but Hornby is suffering and it won't be long before they see a dramatic decrease in sales unless they review their company's image and what they want it to be. 

Am I being cynical or does a higher list price mean that you can appear to offer a bigger discount!

• RMweb Premium

The prices for some of Hornby's basic items that have been around since the year dot such as their old plastic buildings seem to have zoomed up to ridiculous levels, fortunately these have been in production for so many decades that decent second hand examples at more sensible prices can be found.

Edited by John M Upton

The prices for some of Hornby's basic items that have been around since the year dot such as their old plastic buildings seem to have zoomed up to ridiculous levels, fortunately these have been in production for so many decades that decent second hand examples at more sensible prices can be found.

Thing is this has a knock on effect, Saw a loco at a show, But did not buy it that time, Saw same second hand dealer, Price had gone up.

Asked him how come two weeks ago it was £10.00 cheaper, "Hornby put their prices up last week", so yes you will see a small rise in the second hand market.

Isn't anyone on the Internet?

£55 for the new Deltic and £53 for the new Sentinel.

Jason

£99.99 on their site at the mo.

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/shop/locomotives/sentinel-4wdh-19.html

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/shop/locomotives/railroad-br-class-55-the-king-s-own-scottish-borderer.html

Edited by darren01

They can't win, can they?

If they sell cheap on their site, people are outraged at the effect on dealers.

But if they maintain RRP, people complain that some dealers are selling them dirt cheap, so Hornby must be over-pricing.

We know that direct sales make up a small fraction of total sales. Why not look at the whole market, rather than insisting only on quoting RRP?

Paul

Thing is this has a knock on effect, Saw a loco at a show, But did not buy it that time, Saw same second hand dealer, Price had gone up.

Asked him how come two weeks ago it was £10.00 cheaper, "Hornby put their prices up last week", so yes you will see a small rise in the second hand market.

good for the retailer.  he sounds switched on.   who wouldn't do this if youre in business to put food on your own table and a roof over your head.  youre not going to be get that model cheaper anywhere else unless youre so stubborn youd rather go to the grave having failed to scour the earth for one that was a £1 cheaper than this guy.......just buy it and be happy.

• RMweb Premium

and just remember that when this trader has to replace the stock he has sold, it is highly likely that the person selling to him is going to say that Hornby want £xxx for a new one so he should be upping his offer for this hardly used model.

I am old enough to remember when UK inflation was running at 20% or so.  A friend in the Jewellery business nearly went bankrupt because he was selling his goods at a good profit based on what he had paid for them, but the cost of replacing the items sold was more than he had received from the sale to the public.

.....  "I am old enough to remember when UK inflation was running at 20% or so"  .....

Won't be long 'til we're back there again!

And  Mortgage  interest  rates  peaked  at  15%!!

And  a  brand  new  Hornby  A4   Mallard, Green Livery  was  £22.22  ( I always  remember  that unusual SRSP)

I can remember some time back, that I read that shopkeepers cannot retrospectively increase prices on existing stock (except for vat which is not part of the price).

So, if an item is priced at £100 on existing stock, and Hornby have a 10% increase on new stock, that increase must only apply to new stock, not that already on the shelves.

Stewart

At least the house prices were lower.  Imagine that now!

Property value £300,000 (down south y'see - so that's a studio flat!), deposit of £30k so 90:10 ltv, 15% over 25 years - that's a monthly repayment of £3458, and a total repayment of £1,037,473.  Yikes - the youth have never had it so easy huh?

Paul

Totally off topic,  in'84  sold a  3 bed  semi, in  Cheshire  for    a fraction under £30,000,  Moved to  N Wales ( I worked  all over Gtr Manchester Cheshire, n Wales & Staffs  + the IOM so it did not matter  where we  lived) Bought a  4  Bed  detached with massive  garden for the  railway,  for  £29.000  interest  rate  then  around 8%

So there  was  plenty of  room  for  my mostly  Hornby 00 railway  and  a Garden railway 

• Like 1

I can remember some time back, that I read that shopkeepers cannot retrospectively increase prices on existing stock (except for vat which is not part of the price).

So, if an item is priced at £100 on existing stock, and Hornby have a 10% increase on new stock, that increase must only apply to new stock, not that already on the shelves.

Stewart

A retailer can charge what they want for the items in their shop.