Abbotswood and Norton Junctions - layout build

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

That would be great Mike …. Let me know when you are over , could meet up with Neil too

I'm here now, but rail strikes scuppering everything, not even going to make Liverpool by the looks of it, and Define Day Derby looks like a car journey.

Good old blighty!

Mike.

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, 37Oban said:

Hi,

I have a Silver Fox conversion kit to complete.  Finding it an enjoyable experience!

Roja

I am scratch building one.

Cameo 4 cut sides.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 37Oban said:

Hi,

I have a Silver Fox conversion kit to complete.  Finding it an enjoyable experience!

Roja

1 hour ago, MJI said:

I am scratch building one.

Cameo 4 cut sides.

Looking forwards to seeing how these pan out gentlemen. And we have a DC kits one on the way …. But would still buy RTR! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 02/01/2023 at 12:44, Phil Bullock said:

Looking forwards to seeing how these pan out gentlemen. And we have a DC kits one on the way …. But would still buy RTR! 

572642943_2023-01-1414_53_29.jpg.c124a9c8c9e7b9fd1de7e93f5aed28fd.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

@MJI nice 120 thanks for sharing…. It’s the underfloor gubbins we are stuck on at the moment.

Fitted the last point motors today … hurrah. These control the down entrance and up exit from the high level OWW fiddle yard and reversing loops. As their location clashed with under board bracing some creative installations were required… one was side mounted driving through the side wall of the high level tracks …

1BED88B2-3247-433A-8F20-0E597D9B76C4.jpeg.e478dfe972a2b92617c0a0fcc5d9ae73.jpeg

The other two were mounted on top of the board facing down on to Peco motor mounts. All tested and working…B999966D-2279-4978-A905-0BBF4369054D.jpeg.29bb4921ab2729cd779230a60d9428e2.jpeg

A few more boards to do with plain wiring, no motors… 

Edited by Phil Bullock
Image removed
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

Under bits are a pain 119 are like pressed steel so Lima are good. 120 completely different.

Ended up with a pile of resin castings.

Swindon battery boxes i ruined the mould through wear so have some 3d printed ones.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
Just now, PjKing1 said:

Looking good Phil, the curbed diamond makes a huge difference doesn’t it.

Paul

Certainly does! Trains should look great rattling through there at 75mph… had thrown a bit of a kink in the Abbotswood to Norton chord but as that’s limited to 15mph we can live with that…

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Phil Bullock said:

Certainly does! Trains should look great rattling through there at 75mph… had thrown a bit of a kink in the Abbotswood to Norton chord but as that’s limited to 15mph we can live with that…

You’ll be making your own track next Phil 😉

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, PjKing1 said:

You’ll be making your own track next Phil 😉

One job coming up is to fit guard rails on the rail over rail bridge so getting there,…😉

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

One small step step for man!

We'll have you going EM gauge eventually Phil.

Mike.

Plenty of room on the OWW …built to broad gauge clearances

• Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

One small step step for man!

We'll have you going EM gauge eventually Phil.

Mike.

Leave the poor chap alone. He has enough problems with the "LMS van police"picking on him because he has the 'orrid Bachy one in his trains. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Leave the poor chap alone. He has enough problems with the "LMS van police"picking on him because he has the 'orrid Bachy one in his trains. 

Dapol body and Parkside chassis knocks up a good van.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Not for much longer Mr M…. We don’t have many and they are not essential. Could do with some other non standard vans to replace them …

1 hour ago, MJI said:

Dapol body and Parkside chassis knocks up a good van.

Cheers Martin. Have been doing something similar with Dapol banana van bodies and red panda chassis..that works well too

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Progress on board 9 today …. The bridge is in. Which gives me alignment for the roads.

84B71035-0FAD-408C-8183-5FE3A8E3FFDA.jpeg.88232bc9a8a6d9e439716a960c2a308b.jpeg

This house goes in by the road junction when I source a model….13E0F812-0F14-4182-A0D3-2B8B7B1481EE.jpeg.7290534b4c7138b63ab6f2d40d01f707.jpeg

Hmmm …. Could be another one of these with a bit of doctoring…

13DF49B6-0CFF-4844-87AE-22C64319E724.jpeg.8e8aa3cc2c1ac8423df7c3f79570b70a.jpeg

Had planned to work all day but noticed weather forecast so packed up at lunch time … went to Sodbury Vale show in Yate, met up with @Downendian , a pleasant afternoon!

Working outside has its own dynamics … the railway is only a mile away and when the wind is in the right direction passing trains can be clearly heard. About 11.30 this morning there was a heavy rumbling … a proper train! This resolved in to a distinct 6 to the bar beat … a 3 cylinder steam loco , then the sound of a Stanier hooter came down the breeze. Until 60 years ago this would have been a sound often heard in Churchdown…. A jubilee! Brilliant…. And spine tingling.

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 14