Aberdeen Kirkhill T&RSD

Flood

Hello!  To back up your thoughts about the bodyside grey shade I found this photo of 47595 arriving at GQS on 24th Feb 1990. Its passing 47701 which is handily coupled to an Intercity mk3! Its not brilliant but I was only 12 at the time when I took it!

post-7862-0-01525800-1363019838.jpg

Ian B

• Like 6

February = filth!

A not surprising photo of dirty locos and coaching stock as the washing plants had a tendancy to freeze in Scotland during the Winter. By 1990 the Mk3 refurbishment scheme was in full swing and by then the ScotRail Mk3 stock were some of the last Mk3 coaches not yet done. As the Class 158s were still not ready to take over on the Edinburgh - Glasgow services then some already refurbished stock was brought in to release the ScotRail Mk3 stock to works.

I have only seen a few photos from that time but they do make for very colourful, and very mixed, rakes.

Edited by Flood
  • Like 1

One week to go until we are at Ally Pally.

The new Mk3 sleeper has been numbered and just needs a spot of weathering to complete it. I bought a Bachmann Motive Power Depot Accessories pack last week so we now have some pallets of brake blocks and batteries on the layout along with more empty pallets (you can never have enough) and some 1000 litre IBC tanks for oil products.

The inspection platform is in place and we have finally managed to add about 10-15 "Not to be moved" boards scattered around the cleaning platforms. Seven of them are the small type seen on locos, the others are larger ones which also state "High voltage shore supply connected".

All these additional items help to increase the amount of general clutter as found around depots.

Both 08s now run like a dream so apart from any weathering that Glenn can manage over this next week we are all ready for packing on Friday. Please come and say hello if you are able visit the exhibition. I must say that I went for the first time a couple of years ago and found it to be excellent; good quality to the layouts with a diverse selection and a considerable amount of trade with some very competitive prices.

Edited by Flood

Such a great layout. Went back and read it from the start. Taken me a few hours :) Can I ask about the couplers for the coaches, are you using Kadee #5 glued to the body?

Keep up the good work and I look forward to future updates. 

Regards 

Scott 

Thanks for the praise Scott. Yes we use Kadee #5s on virtually all the coaching stock, glued below the headstock with packing pieces to ensure that they are all the same height on the Kadee height gauge.

Our rake of Mk1 Pullmans still have Bachmann NEM sockets but that is because thay have working lights which pick up from the bogies and removing the Bachmann sockets and cutting a space in the bogie for clearance of a #5 is going to be difficult. These couplings are so far out from those of a Bachmann 37 in height that we will have to try to arrange a solution for at least one coach before the exhibition next week.

On another thread the author stated that with all the different length and height variations from Kadee there was no real need to convert all the stock to #5s. In our case there were two reasons 1) we use Airfix/Dapol Mk2 air-con coaches as well as Hornby, Lima and Jouef Mk3 coaches which don't have NEM sockets so all of these needed #5s and 2) the weight of the longest rakes is such that using Bachmann's coupling method you tend to get oscillations through the rake as the 08s pull them which does not look particularly prototypical.

All the locos use their original NEM sockets apart from the 08s which have Kadees with smaller boxes. I'm sure that Glenn has stated which ones we've used earlier in the thread but I'll be blowed if I can find it now.

Having the layout packed up most of the time in the garage means that taking photos does have to wait until exhibitions or long weekends and I am mindful that I have not posted many photos on here since our covering of snow. I will try to take a whole host of photos at Ally Pally this next weekend to solve this situation.

Both Glenn and I have had a look back through the thread every now and again. It seems very scary where we were just 3 years ago and the amount we were able to achieve in just that first year.

Edited by Flood

Thanks for the info Flood. I am wanting to change my MK2Ds and MK3 (both by Hornby) so this helps a lot. What did you do to the power cars? same thing? I had toyed with using Kadee whisker couplers in the pockets on the coaches. 

Regards

Scott 

The power cars again have #5s. We are using the new Hornby ones (with Lenz chips) and the coupling as supplied is attached to the bogie and cranked around the main reservoir tanks at the brake end. I seem to remember that Glenn cut off the coupling, removed the tanks, cut a section the size of a #5 out of the middle of them and then glued the tanks back on with the #5 hidden between the two parts of the tanks. I very neat arrangement.

Countdown to the exhibition now, 7 o'clock tomorrow night we should be setting up.

I've been painting, and buying, a few more details for the layout just to add to the general clutter. First of all I found some old Dapol wheelsets so I decided that we should have some old and rusty wheelsets and a couple of sets of new ones. After chatting to Glenn he said that we'll have to get some lifting jacks as we don't have a crane to be able to do wheelset changes. Therefore the bought item has been a set of Bachmann lifting jacks. Most places had sold out but I managed to find some in Skipton and they were delivered within a day - excellent service.

Glenn also said that we should have a calibration wheelset for the wheel lathe, hence my post on this subject, so I have finished painted another Dapol wheelset today. In the end I've done the treads rusty as the wheelset has been left outside and we have some snow on the layout.

The old wheelsets were going to be put into a Bachmann 13t steel High but I ordered that from Hattons on Tuesday and it hasn't arrived yet. There is every chance that a red piece of card from the Post Office will be on my doormat when I return on Sunday evening. Oh well that will just have to wait until the next exhibition.

So here's a last photo until after the weekend. Hopefully some of you will be able to make the exhibition, we are certainly looking forward to it.

1765525097_Wheelsetsandliftingjacks.JPG.11ae33f84f60112ef61ddea6c4180a76.JPG

Edited by Flood

• RMweb Premium

Never mind the calibration wheelset Graham, not many folk put covers over the cartridge bearing units!  What a fine attention to detail.  Best of luck with the exhibition hopefully It'll appear at Perth one day.....

I'm glad that you noticed those Bob as I'm particularly pleased with the result. They are just sections of cotton bud cut to length and the ends filled with glue before painting. As you know it all makes a difference.

Perth is next year now so you don't have long to wait until you see the layout in the flesh.

Well we're all back safe and sound from London.

The snow was so bad at Glenn's house that we had to clear the drive before we could unload the van and we had to clear the snow off my car which was literally 2 to 3 inches deep (and that's not male over estimating!). After dropping off Richard (Poor Old Bruce) I finally got home at 22.15 and I've just spent the last hour or so watching today's F1 race.

The show was thoroughly enjoyable. The staff were all extremely helpful, even if no signs were displayed to show people to go for unpacking on the Friday and the number of people around the layout was mind boggling at times. Apologies to anyone who was viewing the layout during one of my instances of either forgetting to check the correct route or trying to remember how to judge the braking of the 08s. Also Richard's acceleration of the locos to "Warp Facter Grumpy" was a little scary at times but most of the time Glenn managed to keep us both under control.

As promised are a few photos from late Saturday and early Sunday. The other Richard (47401) has also taken some photos, along with some he took at Midland Railex last August, and he will be sending those to me later in the week. that is unless he wishes to post them on here himself. At this point I must also say another big thank you to him for helping us with the layout along with doing his exhibition duties - he made life for us all so much easier.

Anyway enough of my yabber - these photos aren't great but at least they give a few more views of the layout.

11544019_Kirkhill24March2013(3).JPG.96be019e600273dd12cd8fd72d5ec117.JPG

682857176_Kirkhill23March2013(1).JPG.592b9f2263c3b15e75b3a6622daa588c.JPG

539459667_Kirkhill23March2013(2).JPG.b6ba79add8831ffcfaa97bcdb0a01357.JPG

1223118747_Kirkhill23March2013(3).JPG.eded5a11bf39266af9782ccd636012c5.JPG

656698566_Kirkhill23March2013(4).JPG.292ec1ba3c99b2f18574e138b2e90c9f.JPG

202041000_Kirkhill24March2013(1).JPG.158cccd9746fc55eb21435026635efbb.JPG

1332724753_Kirkhill24March2013(2).JPG.b71151b524df2ca441f25c1e9ad90d3f.JPG

Edited by Flood
  • Like 15

Really enjoyed seeing Kirkhill in person yesterday. The split and reform moves of the HSTs are fascinating to watch - so used to thinking of them as complete units. Fantastic slow running as well. :locomotive:

To be honest we only split them because our shed isn't long enough but that is exactly what used to happen at Etches Park for the same reason.

I'm glad you enjoyed the slow running, we do our best to make the operating as realistic as possible but all our 37s and a couple of other locos were not playing ball over the weekend. Some stripping down of loco chassis' is required before Trainwest to alleviate these problems.

• Like 1

Thanks for the compliment.

Just to keep people up to date on the exhibition front the list for the next year is as follows:

Trainwest, Melksham (April 13/14 2013) ... about as far South as we currently get

Hornby Live, Hartlepool (13/14 July 2013)

Railex North East, North Shields (24/25 August 2013)

Mickleover, Derby (5/6 October 2013)

Warley, NEC (23/24 November 2013)

Stafford (1/2 February 2014)

Perth (June 2014)

We have also passed details on this weekend to a number of clubs in the South who are interested in exhibiting the layout but we obvously have no firm details as yet.

• Like 1

Further to my previous post Richard has very kindly supplied me with the photos he took at Midland Railex and at Ally Pally.

Here is the first batch which he took last August:

DSCF0387.JPG.14b6f77c236a869dc4387eb188c6031c.JPG

DSCF0354.JPG.705dc182abaff6ffa36f93d857365d19.JPG

DSCF0358.JPG.61ffa8241b8643cab02e76ce4d989c54.JPG

DSCF0361.JPG.aec040820e96c2fefc2d3e9e57f29bd9.JPG

DSCF0363.JPG.bb4efac1950ca08b362265e6e181fe11.JPG

DSCF0385.JPG.49dfce2c5edceb2194d9fbc95b61a423.JPG

DSCF0386.JPG.0c2f9730f4db584164693ac02abbf72e.JPG

I won't overload you all too much so I'll leave the Ally Pally ones for a few days to let you soak in the Wintery atmosphere.

Edited by Flood
  • Like 12

One final batch of photos for everyone. The last three of the photos have had the background removed, this hasn't worked as well as I could have hoped on the photo of the single 08 but is not too bad.

I particularly like the last two of these - they seem to give a personal touch to the people who work in all weathers to keep our railways moving.

1073991083_Richard(1).JPG.b545a0691b940867fe619070ae01c1c5.JPG

1123553355_Richard(2).JPG.3d69d32242de92fd5e1628f65e30b88f.JPG

1368192502_Richard(3).JPG.0f7f336447ed91ea7bb87d18d4b47ecd.JPG

338644120_Richard(6).JPG.e75f54b3776670683b06c6ccd945b7e3.JPG

1569080320_Richard(5).JPG.86d544325b0019c1f529466011107120.JPG

2047492999_Richard(4).JPG.ab29c9c4c13318ac0692e2af2afb540c.JPG

I've always asked for any constructive criticism of the layout where appropriate and in the past I've always been surprised that we haven't received any. I now just accept the fact that a lot of people seem to like the layout as much as we do but if anyone does have any comments to make or even questions to ask please feel free to add to this thread.

P.S. The road vehicles are a disgrace to the rest of the layout and I'm hoping to pick them up next Tuesday!

Edited by Flood
  • Like 9

I love this layout. It's is one of my favourites I follow it on Facebook as well, The only thing I can think of that could make it better would be Exactoscale or C&L track.

I know I'm being picky. I love the fact that its now set in the snow and I'm hoping to be able to see it in the flesh.

Thank you Steve.

We do look at the photos (especially those in MI3) and sometimes cringe at the size of the gaps between the rails in the points. That said, at exhibitions a number of people are surprised that we are using code 100 track and they ask how we have toned down the track and how the ballast was done (to summarise the track was sprayed all over using an aerosol, the ballast was painstakingly brushed into place, fixed with dilute pva with a little washing up liquid and once the ballast was dry then the paint was cleaned off the tops of the rails).

Whilst more realistic track would add another dimension to the layout we are pleased that we can show other railway modellers that r.t.r track can look reasonable if a little effort and care and attention is made.

Your views on the track are perfectly valid and as such we will never be invited to a finescale show. This may well be an adventure for Glenn and I to look forward to in the future (if we ever wanted to make another exhibition layout).

Edited by Flood
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm sure Graham, most folk who know the subject wouldn't find too much to criticise - objective or otherwise, without appearing petty.  It's a bit like Jim Smith-Wright's Birmingham New Street.  If you follow the prototype's principles accurately down to those (very) small details - what's to criticise? You both have made a fine job of it and I look forward to seeing it at Perth next year.

Btw Arwyn? Williams of the HMRI might have given you a nice little letter of advice over the lack of "Limited Clearance" boards on the shed and wheel lathe entrances... : ;)

• Like 1

I didn't realise it was code 100. I thought it was code 75.

You have done a super job on this layout and I know I'm being picky.

I think it's seeing Peterborough North and Cavs Outon road with finescale track but to OO gauge that shows how good it can look without having to go for P4 EM or what ever.

It really was only a minor criticism as I said this is one of my favourite layouts. My Era everything. I nearly unashamedly copied it for a project for my self but decided to stick with O gauge.

Look forward to more pictures.

We've been promising to add some photos of the completed Mark 2E coaches, so here are the first few:

TSO 5840:

post-7306-0-98940900-1365204889_thumb.jpg

post-7306-0-46419200-1365204918_thumb.jpg

TSO 5869:

post-7306-0-60875600-1365204946_thumb.jpg

post-7306-0-80380800-1365204987_thumb.jpg

We have a full Cross-Country half-set with RBR - TSO - TSO - BFK - TSO - TSO - BG, so these are just two of the TSOs of which 5869 is the only one in blue-grey.

Another feature is a selection of non-matching bodylights (windows) which were common on Mark 2 d-e-f coaches and Mark 3s. These were the result of bodylight renewals at depots in which the double-glazed unit was fitted the wrong way round such that the outer pane which was tinted, faced inwards. Only one of the panes was tinted, but it was almost impossible to tell which was which, especially at night. Each coach has at least one (with the exception of our pristine, ex-works vehicle - photo to follow); on 5869 there is a reversed bodylight second in from the toilet window:

post-7306-0-92246100-1365205015_thumb.jpg

The early Airfix Mark 2D coaches had more of a green tint to the glazing than the later ones, so I used some green ones randomly to represent the reversed glazing units.

We used the completed rake for the first time at Biggleswade, but Ally Pally was the first time since they has been weathered. I just need to pick out the door handles and grab handles to finish them now.

• Like 5