Aberdeen Kirkhill T&RSD

Flood

Some cracking shots there, love 47642 Strathisla on shed, always did like the Inverness and Eastfield 47s. I also love the shot of the 47 by the shed allowing a little glimpse inside the depot, great work. Those tower lights really do look superb, I will have to get a few of those.

• Like 1

Thank you all as always. If anyone is interested in how I came to devise the operating sequence then I have written an explanation but it is a little long winded.

Anyway. Yes, I know, this week should have been solely spent flush glazing an HST set. But no, I had to find myself another little project didn't I!

Back in the 1980s one of the rakes that interested me was the Glasgow/Aberdeen - Plymouth. Not only was it a very comfortable train to travel in, and normally with Class 50 haulage, but also it contained some coaches not available r.t.r. As we model half of this rake I have already had to make a Mk2D BFK. By the way, I was asked which my favourite train was at Nottingham a week ago. I don't actually have favourite trains, I just like modelling coaching stock that is different from what you can buy. One of the other coaches found in the Plymouth rake was a Mk1 restaurant buffet and we already use a Mainline coach in the rake at present.

Now Glenn suggested last week that we could swap the odd coach for a bit of variation so I got thinking. Rather than a Mainline restaurant buffet why not make a refurbished version of the Bachmann Restaurant coach. Therefore, while the Grand Prix was on this morning, the following alterations have occurred:

post-7112-0-59995300-1301221421_thumb.jpg

The kitchen side is straight forward enough. Fill in two windows and a door so the buffet counter can be added.

The corridor side is subtle. I needed to model one of the Western Region batch with roof water tanks so I managed to buy a maroon one at Ally Pally for only £16.50 (they don't make it in blue and grey) and then I swapped the roofs over. The blue and grey side is resting on the maroon coach to show the subtle difference. The window to the right of the middle door was 4ft wide on the Western Region batches, the Eastern Region coaches (and how Bachmann have modelled both types) had a 3ft wide window.

So there you go. Give it a day or so for the filler to dry, smooth it down and a quick re-blow of blue and grey and that's another style of coach for Kirkhill that is rarely modelled.

• Like 2

Hi Flood,

Love the latest pics, I would have to agree with Grimley, the shot of 47642 is great.B) Well done on the RM article I will keep a look out for the mag. It takes a while for them to get to Oz.

I wil be interested to see how you go with the Restaurant as I have one, and have been thinging of doing a refurbished one myself.

Cheers Peter.

One down, seven to go...

After an hour and 45 mins I have flush glazed one of the HST trailers.

post-7112-0-77124900-1301236826_thumb.jpg

post-7112-0-47926400-1301236854_thumb.jpg

post-7112-0-41026000-1301236819_thumb.jpg

The main problem I had was the body of the Lima Mk3. It is very old, probably dating from 1981-82, and cracked when one of the main windows went in. I've done a quick repair job (it's on the other side from the photo) but it does need touching up.

Apart from that the main windows went in fine, the small toilet ones are very loose and I've held them in with varnish as Shawplan suggested to me at Nottingham. I may well use a dab of non solvent bostick just to make sure. The door windows were all too big, not by much but just enough to be annoying. The plastic on the windows is about 1mm thick and takes a bit of filing (probably a blunt file). I filed all four sides on each door window with a number of trials until they fitted. This may be the coach again, I'll see how the other ones go.

All in all I'm very pleased with the result. If I'd been a bit more careful I wouldn't have cracked the body and I'd be even happier but It just serves me right. As has been mentioned on Ian J's thread on flush glazing the Lima air-con Mk2s, the horrible Lima recesses to the windows have totally vanished.

Time now for a coffee and a rest - I think if I try to do any more I'll only make a mess of it. Coaching stock can now wait until tomorrow.

• Like 2

I haven't done any more flush glaze today. I might do some tonight but otherwise I'll do a couple of coaches tomorrow.

In the meantime I've been doing some more to the RBR. Here are a couple of photos of the revised coach next door to the doner for the roof. All I need to do is renumber the maroon coach and it can be used as it is. The last photo is an interior shot to show you the buffet counter that I've spent the afternoon making. A quick coat of grey paint will suffice but I do know that they did have "warm orange" interiors. If anyone has a colour photo from the 1970s/80s then that would be even better.

post-7112-0-84526900-1301327856_thumb.jpg

post-7112-0-81577800-1301327848_thumb.jpg

post-7112-0-72033400-1301327863_thumb.jpg

Just need to find my wet and dry now. I have actually started a spring clean today (mainly because I couldn't find the wet and dry or any plasticard), by the end of the week the house might be liveable in again!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I have actually started a spring clean today (mainly because I couldn't find the wet and dry or any plasticard), by the end of the week the house might be liveable in again!

Easy Graham. You know how you come over all funny if anyone mentions the 'H' word........................................................................................................... Housework :lol: .

Buffet's looking good though!

"A quick coat of grey paint will suffice but I do know that they did have "warm orange" interiors. If anyone has a colour photo from the 1970s/80s then that would be even better."

Even flicking through the Parkin book doesn't throw up any more detail than that. The best image I've been able to find is on Robertcwp's Flickr site, which offers up this image of an IC liveried example. The seats are cream plastic, though I should imagine there would still have been a few examples retaining their earlier orange plastic seats in 1988, especially if the vehicle was still in B&G livery. The walls appear to be a dark orange/brown, with a poster (perhaps a buffet menu?) attached to the external wall of the buffet counter facing the seating area, but I can't tell any more than that. The image in the Parkin book, which is sadly in black and white, appears to show lighter walls, so there must have been some variation.

HTH.

Thanks Oldfield. I've just had a quick scan through four years of Modern Railways finding the articles on "On Train Catering" and I haven't found a colour photo. Therefore I've made my choice - it's staying grey.

Yesterday evening was one of those that I wish I'd never started...

I took the flush glazed Mk3 to the railway club, noted that the sides seem to bulge out, tried to take off the roof and three windows worth of bodyside broke off in the process. I didn't swear - I was too angry to. I put the coach back into its box and then showed Glenn the damage when he arrived. He'd brought the Motorail GUV he bought at Ally Pally so we could fit it with Commonwealth bogies. But no, we fitted the replacement bogies only for me to realise that I'd brought the B4 bogies from the 19xx buffet and not the Commonwealth bogies I'd put to one side.

After this low point things improved. I helped Glenn on Mickleover's O gauge layout to find out why another member's recent re-wiring didn't work. By the end of the night we had the yard working and 3/4s of one of the station roads. We even found a solution for the remainder of that road but ran out of time. Glenn had brought me some Motorail transfers so I could back date a swallow Motorail GUV into an executive one. These were added when I got home, photo as below:

post-7112-0-81183000-1301489696_thumb.jpg

Going back to the Mk3 I swapped the interior and chassis round so at least the good side faces the public. I then added strengtheners to the inside of the cracked window supports. Hopefully this will stop the problem re-occurring and we can touch up the cracks to make this side acceptable.

One of the club members said a few weeks ago that he wished he made stock as good as we do, after he had snapped a roof on a Lima CCT. I told him that I still make mistakes but, as a girlfriend once said to me about her cooking, the point is it's not that a mistake has been made - it's knowing how to cover it up.

I'm still not in the mood to do anymore laserglaze yet. One thing I do know is that if you're not in the right frame of mind then you will make mistakes. I've got until June to do the whole set, I'd rather take my time.

On that note I'll chill out for the afternoon and do some more to the RBR.

• Like 1

Hi Flood,

As someone who is in the process of patching up a lazer-glazed Mk 3 after bubbling the resprayed paintwork and respraying a 47/7 after getting superglue on the almost finished bodyside, I sympathise deeply.

It is at least reassuring to know I'm not the only one who cocks things up from time to time! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Dave

Thanks for the understanding Dave, I managed to follow the Mk3 episode by nearly wrecking my Mk1 RBR yesterday!

However, I realised quite early in the day that if I stripped off the coats of varnish I'd applied and started again on the one poor side I should be able to solve my problem.

The filled windows had sunk slightly so had been filled again and repainted but I hadn't repainted the whole bodyside. Therefore two tones of paint, therefore not acceptable, therefore start again. As I said above I had to remove two coats of varnish, repaint the blue and the grey and leave to dry overnight. Before Glenn starts to pull his hair out about the brush strokes from hand painting I have found a solution. I applied three thin coats of paint and then rubbed down with used wet and dry to create a smooth surface. After adding the transfers I then applied spray varnish.

So this morning the sides were rubbed down, the transfers added and the Railmatch varnish applied. After leaving for three hours so the side was dry to touch the coach was re-assembled.

So we have:

The altered interior. The yellow line shows where the kichen used to end, to the left of this was originally all seating. The seating units and tables are separate items stuck to the floor so are easily removed.

post-7112-0-54458100-1301750897_thumb.jpg

The altered roof. As far as I can tell the vent position was moved when the buffet was added. The last two sections of the kitchen end of the roof were replaced by two from an FK so that this end of the coach had rain strips. These were certainly on 1948 and 1953 so I'm guessing these were also added when converted as the water filler pipes at this end were removed. The water tank filler was moved from the FK location to the correct location for an RU/RBR.

post-7112-0-36786500-1301750886_thumb.jpg

The view of the corridor side, the window to the right of the middle door is the enlarged one.

post-7112-0-33502000-1301750907_thumb.jpg

The view of the kitchen side. One emergency door and the windows either side have been filled and smoothed over.

post-7112-0-82650200-1301750894_thumb.jpg

All the transfers are HMRS pressfix. The Western Region conversions appear to have had the "Buffet Restaurant" towards the middle of the coach, LM Region stock had this branding nearer to the seating end. The Bachmann small "Kitchen" transfers could have stayed but I replaced these with HMRS transfers as the Bachmann ones are too large.

All in all I'm very happy with the result. Another variation for Kirkhill and another one of my "coaches I've always wanted to make" ticked off.

Edit: I've just realised I've not removed the footstep from where the emergency door was, doh!

(Now sorted)

• Like 3

Hi Flood,

Nice work on the RBR it looks great. I may have miss read your post but did you end up repainting the whole side or just patch painting the area you worked on?

I have one in Inter City livery but it has a different roof with out the pipework running along the top, did the RBRs run with different roofs? I am thinking I might give it a go though I don't really want to repaint the whole coach so hopefully I can find a good paint match.

Cheers Peter.

Peter: Thanks for the compliment. I put this coach next to a Mainline RB yesterday and the only difference on the kitchen side is the position of the middle door so most people won't even notice. If you're making a late build 19xx RBR (number series 1959 to 1984) then you can use the roof Bachmann supply on the InterCity one (that one vent needs moving along the roof) and the 3ft window doesn't need to be replaced by a 4ft one. The corridor side I just touched up around the window, the kitchen side I completely repainted the light grey and blended in the blue. From looking at a Bachmann BG in InterCity livery the dark grey and light grey they use are very close to the Railmatch colours so you may get away with blending in.

David: Now that's a good question! We've got three Mk2e TSOs to paint in executive and one in blue and grey, these are in primer. There are three more ScotRail air-cons to paint and Glenn is looking to paint his Mk2a BFK into swallow livery. I've already done five different versions of the Airfix Mk2 air-con FO: two types of Mk2d, the mk2e and two types of Mk2f, I'll post photos of the differences for these in due course.

Strictly speaking that should be it for Kirkhill (I assume you've already found the Mk1 BFK on page 10 and Mk2d BFK on page 13). What would be nice is a 16xx series RBK for use on Duffield - basically take half a Bachmann RU for the kitchen area (modded a bit) and add it to half a Bachmann FK. Not easy but that's half the fun. One day I might just write up a simple article on RMweb showcase to explain all the variations in air-con Mk2 stock, that should be able to send people to sleep!

• Like 1

Peter: I can't find any really good pictures of a late 19xx RBR roof at the moment but the link below shows M1965 next to M1710 and the roof vent has moved to the same position as on my model. I know it seems nearer to the kitchen window than that but that is just the effect of perspective.

Mk1 RBR M1710 & M1965

This batch also appears to have gained a monsoon vent on the roof centre line (in line with the moved circular vent) as seen in this photo of M1972:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wiseman2007/3720075791/sizes/o/in/photostream/

Hi Flood,

Thanks heaps for you help, it is a 19xx that I am going to do so your info has been a great help. I will see how I go with matching the paint before I start filling in the windows and doors though. I think it look good quite good in my Holyhead - Euston train.:D

I think an article on your coaches in the showcase would be good there's not enough info on hacking coaches out there.B)

Cheers Peter.

Hi Flood,

Thanks for sharing your RBR info. on here. Very useful. I've been trying to do one of these and make sure I get the window and door layout and roof vents correct.

Here's a pic of 1981 of the kitchen side

http://80srail.zenfolio.com/p189779447/h170f48d7#h170f48d7

1956 has the same door between the kitchen windows, plating on the roof (what's that) and B4 (B5?) bogies

http://80srail.zenfolio.com/p189779447/h14bb63e7#h14bb63e7

Rgds

OMGM

• Like 1

Hi Flood,

Thanks for sharing your RBR info. on here. Very useful. I've been trying to do one of these and make sure I get the window and door layout and roof vents correct.

Here's a pic of 1981 of the kitchen side

http://80srail.zenfolio.com/p189779447/h170f48d7#h170f48d7

1956 has the same door between the kitchen windows, plating on the roof (what's that) and B4 (B5?) bogies

http://80srail.zenfolio.com/p189779447/h14bb63e7#h14bb63e7

Rgds

OMGM

1956 is an early build, like mine, so had the water tanks in the roof and not by the underframe - hence the plating on the roof. It has a B4 bogie at the seating end and a B5 bogie at the kitchen end - check out the chunkier traction rod and no flange on the spring plank for a B5.

Thanks for the links to 80s Rail, I've missed Dennis Taylor's site since fotopic went down so it's good to see he has started another one.

Peter: this photo of 1971 from Dennis Taylor's site shows the monsoon vent far better: http://80srail.zenfolio.com/p189779447/ha4711e4#ha4711e4

• 1 month later...

A very quick update from me.

Last night I did actually try to post what has been happening over the past month and promptly lost my internet connection completely just after midnight. I'm having a replacement modem sent but I still think the issue may be with the signal - I'll have to check tonight.

Anyway I have got use of a machine at work at the moment so I'll quickly say that Glenn has installed some circuit breakers to lessen the effects of a short if a loco enters a point set the wrong way. We tested the latest version of the sequence last weekend and everything went smoothly and we've bought some more figures which I'm slowly getting round to painting (with no internet at home I'll have a lot more time on my hands!).

DEMU showcase is in 4.1/2 weeks time but we'll be helping at Derby Exhibition this weekend so that is one weekend lost. I've still got 6 cars of an HST to reglaze and we still have the Mk2e TSOs to repaint, I now doubt that either of these will be done in time for DEMU.

So there you have it. I'll just finish by saying that we'll be looking forward to seeing as many of you as possible at DEMU on June 11th/12th.

• 3 weeks later...

First of all, thank you to Daryl for his kind comment.

For anyone looking forward to seeing Kirkhill in the flesh it might not have escaped your attention that we have two events coming soon. I've already mentioned DEMU Showcase at Burton but I can now add that we are delighted to have been invited by Andy to the RMweb open day at Stafford this year. That means that's two opportunities in the space of less than a month. A fair number of people may attend both events but at least the opportunity exists for people to perhaps see us at one location if they can't make the other.

This weekend will be another run through to try to ensure that everything is error free, the weekend before DEMU will probably be spent wheel cleaning!

I mentioned that we'd bought some more figures recently. We don't want to have too many as you wouldn't have seen a lot of people wondering around. Most of the work would have been inside the shed or inside the coaching stock, therefore out of view. A look at Dart Castings stand at York found us some male carriage cleaners and I must give big thanks to Alex Hall (the Derby Exhibition Manager) who pointed us in the direction of Phoenix Miniatures. Not only do they make 1980s depot staff (without hard hats) but also some 1980s train crew - very useful. The photo below shows the progress so far:

figures.JPG.e13339904c6159050852f55a35d481b9.JPG

Yes, I know the paint is gloss. They'll get a liberal coat of matt varnish once they're finished. There's another carriage cleaner to start plus we've a postman and a "youth with can" which can go on the bridge. That should be about all we need.

Don't forget to introduce yourselves if you manage to pay us a visit, hopefully we'll literally will see you soon.

Edited by Flood
  • Like 1