The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Christmas TV Adverts ALREADY?!? The Bah, Humbug Thread.

F-UnitMad

• RMweb Premium

You are in luck! There is a ?CBS channel in the 60s that is showing Christmas films as you describe.

SWMBO has been watching them for the last month,

Edited to overcome effects of big finger syndrome,

Edited by rab

• RMweb Gold

Christmas is only six weeks away.

The Christmas blitz here starts after the Thanksgiving holiday. This year retailers roll out the Christmas stuff on Friday, November 24. For now we're spared - sitting in between the fall holidays of Halloween and Thanksgiving. Once the turkey is eaten, Christmas is in full swing.

Not true down here in California - the Christmas stuff was out in full force the day after Halloween. It wasn't like that when I first came here - the day after Thanksgiving was when it started but over the last few years it has moved forward.  Black Friday seems to have turned into something else - I saw 'Black Friday' deals in the shops last Saturday.

Rob

Edit: The reality of Christmas. Hard work in bad weather for some, chaos for the unprepared and grumbling for those who are predisposed to whinge.

Ha ha oh yes - guess who's landed Early shift on both Xmas & Boxing Day and Late's on my B'day 2 days later ...............................  going to postpone Xmas to May and celebrate it in Minorca ..................... :sungum:

Edited by Southernman46
  • Like 1

Just wait we have the American abomination of ‘Black Friday’ to come yet!

My eyes scanned your post a tad too quickly and came up with 'Black Five Day'.... where do I sign up for one..?  ;)

Spotted my first lineside Christmas tree back in September from the Knighton Junction to Coalville line, lit up like the, er, proverbial Christmas tree in the back window of a house near Kirby Muxloe!

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

On firework night I happened to be up watching tv the first advert that’s ome on after 12 midnight was an xmas one. I could believe it. I work in retail and no lie we usually get our xmas plans long before November.

Big james

I work in wholesale, I am already putting together our Halloween and Xmas 2018 plans...

• Like 3

I work in wholesale, I am already putting together our Halloween and Xmas 2018 plans...

Its not the planning but the early start to the events that annoys me!

The Railway Civil Engineers have been planning for a long time for their Christmas engineering work and associated trains.

Mark Saunders

• Like 1

I visited our local garden center at the beginning of October to find them putting up the displays of Christmas trees and Christmas lights. As November started so did the Christmas television ads, but fortunately SWMBO waits until she sees the Coke Cola Christmas ad ( Holidays a coming ) before demanding the Christmas decorations go up. At least the Christmas ads are better than all those b###dy internet gambling and bingo ads.

• Like 1

I wonder what it is like living next door to a house where the owners put up masses of lights and dancing Santas etc., but you prefer to do nothing at all?

It it a case of being seen as a miserable old git and mentally bullied into complying, or is it one of 'if you can't beat them join them'?

If the decorated house is opposite, you must need blackout curtains after dark. 

• RMweb Premium

I visited our local garden center at the beginning of October to find them putting up the displays of Christmas trees and Christmas lights. As November started so did the Christmas television ads, but fortunately SWMBO waits until she sees the Coke Cola Christmas ad ( Holidays a coming ) before demanding the Christmas decorations go up. At least the Christmas ads are better than all those b###dy internet gambling and bingo ads.

I visited a garden centre in September and there was a full blown Christmas display with lights, decorations etc on sale with Xmas musak playing and I had to walk through that area to get to the checkout tills!

• RMweb Gold

One of my past lives was working for a large direct-selling beauty company (clue: ding d*ng - although they haven’t used that slogan since 1972).

It used to be quite disconcerting to go into the marketing department in February and March and find it full of samples of Christmas merchandise, as they finalised the plans for the coming Christmas...

Edited to add: the asterisk in “d*ng” is an “o”. Apparently the forum software objects to doorbell sounds that may also be slang for a part of the body...

Slightly off-topic, and quite coincidentally, when I checked in for my flight to Shanghai tomorrow, that we will be flying in to Pu D*ng airport (* = o again). It is to be hoped that the aIr traffic control software is a bit more open-minded...

• RMweb Gold

Are you a time traveller, and, if so can you take me with you?

The good news is yes, I am a time traveller; the bad news is that I can only travel in one direction and one rate - both of which seem to be about the same as everybody else...

And apologies for my imprecise use of language - I should have said “when I was checking in for my flight to Shanghai, which departs tomorrow” and trust me, after eleven and a half hours folded into an economy seat, you won’t want to be anywhere near me...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The good news is yes, I am a time traveller; the bad news is that I can only travel in one direction and one rate - both of which seem to be about the same as everybody else...

And apologies for my imprecise use of language - I should have said “when I was checking in for my flight to Shanghai, which departs tomorrow” and trust me, after eleven and a half hours folded into an economy seat, you won’t want to be anywhere near me...

You have my sympathy, I think two and a half hours is purgatory!

Mike.

Well I guess I must be in the minority then. While I agree that Christmas shouldn't be mentioned until after bonfire night, but I love the Christmas adverts for the big stores. The John Lewis advert is brilliant, as it is what we are going through with Little Wollastonblue, who is scared of the dark, and wants a light on in case there is a Dinosaur in his room.

Have a listen to the Marks and Spencer ad with Paddington. The Sainsburys ad a couple of years ago that featured the WW1 Christmas truce and football match brought a tear to the eye. It's nice to see that advertising people can create something beautiful rather than annoying slogans and jingles.

They're all magical and add to the magic of the time of year. While I am the least religious person in the world, I enjoy the time spent with friends and family, and the joy of asking relatives to order stuff from Europe or Japan for my model railway (usually gets expletives and then ends with cards with cash in). 

Happy Christmas Everyone!!!

• Like 2

I wonder what it is like living next door to a house where the owners put up masses of lights and dancing Santas etc., but you prefer to do nothing at all?...If the decorated house is opposite, you must need blackout curtains after dark. 

We have one such, at a range of 150 yards. They were however thoughtul enough to install a humungous electric blue illuminated fish tank in a room with a large picture window, immediately on moving in. So we already had the blackout curtains installed on our one window facing this display, well before the yuletide festooning commenced. Their immediate neighbour mentioned in the Saturnalia greeting card that there was a whole roof slope of their home that stood vacant and unadorned: the following year they had fixed that.

(Also began erection of a very large shed and had it ablaze to destruction before half complete, and put up a sort of pergola style patio roof which fell down, very noisily. How does that proverb go: 'The git that never stops giving'...)

A couple of points, bearing in mind that I agree with the

point that Christmas is being forced upon us too early!

Firstly did anyone listen to 'The Now Show', R4, Sat.?

Wonderful satire about Xmas ads & tunes, esp. what

happens when they run out of sickly, rose-tinted songs?

(example used, opening few lines of The Pogues/Kirsty

McAll's classic song, that'll put a dampener on their sales!)

Secondly, I saw the Waitrose advert, best so far, not sickly

sweet, definitely plausible, mildly amusing!

Roll-on New Year!

A couple of points, bearing in mind that I agree with the

point that Christmas is being forced upon us too early!

Firstly did anyone listen to 'The Now Show', R4, Sat.?

Wonderful satire about Xmas ads & tunes, esp. what

happens when they run out of sickly, rose-tinted songs?

(example used, opening few lines of The Pogues/Kirsty

McAll's classic song, that'll put a dampener on their sales!)

Secondly, I saw the Waitrose advert, best so far, not sickly

sweet, definitely plausible, mildly amusing!

Roll-on New Year!

Roy Wood and Noddy Holder must be waiting with anticipation for next years royalty cheques!

I wonder what it is like living next door to a house where the owners put up masses of lights and dancing Santas etc., but you prefer to do nothing at all?

It it a case of being seen as a miserable old git and mentally bullied into complying, or is it one of 'if you can't beat them join them'?

If the decorated house is opposite, you must need blackout curtains after dark. 

You could always get yourself an air rifle and ping all the little bulbs (probably LEDs these days) one by one  :jester: .