TPE - Class 68s - Updates

Training has started on the Class 68s for the up coming TPE loco hauled services.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1487730087982818&id=121163121306195

Info from the WNXX forum suggests this was a Crewe to Preston and return run.

Looking forward to this loco hauled action when it commences with the MK5 coaches.

Steamers ran for decades in black with just a couple of candles for illumination, infact modern trains sometimes have to much lighting. In fog for instance no dipped beam, on more than one occasion I've turned the main headlight off.

• RMweb Premium

Steamers ran for decades in black with just a couple of candles for illumination, infact modern trains sometimes have to much lighting. In fog for instance no dipped beam, on more than one occasion I've turned the main headlight off.

Exactly why yellow was used as its close to mid spectrum in our sight. Yellow lenses and lights give better rendition on grey days. As for the roads, lights are to be be seen by not just to see with....

Lack of yellow fronts is still a retrograde step in my mind.

Dave

• Like 1

Every other system in the world survives without yellow fronts; I always found it curious that UK railways were so reluctant to adopt eminently sensible practices like highly visible lighting and continuous air braking.

While it certainly enhanced safety back in the early days of modern traction, modern safety practices and high intensity lighting have made the yellow paint pretty redundant.

D. 

Every other system in the world survives without yellow fronts; I always found it curious that UK railways were so reluctant to adopt eminently sensible practices like highly visible lighting and continuous air braking.

While it certainly enhanced safety back in the early days of modern traction, modern safety practices and high intensity lighting have made the yellow paint pretty redundant.

D. 

A large enough area of high contrast surface i.e. a yellow cab from is going to be more reliable under defuse lighting conditions than a light bulb, however good it is. It also means that you are not playing the conspicuity arms race which leads to veiling luminance (glare) . At night it's a bit different but then most track level activity at night is/was done under possessions. In most cases when I was on track I heard the train first.

The reason why we had yellow fronts? From the 1960's we took track worker safety as a higher priority than others - while not perfect I have never seen stats which showed any other country with a better pro-rarta safety record.

• Like 2

D. 

Too easy to generalise.

For years the Dutch railway system used not only Full Yellow Ends, but full yellow all over (except the roofs). And for the same reason as the UK - to improve visibility - in their case, from every angle - as a dense electrified system with numerous level crossings.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Several other national railway systems' liveries also include yellow on the fronts of trains to aid visibility (e.g. Belgium, Hungary), DB locos have white 'bibs' for the same reason and Portuguese locos have diagonal stripes on their ends, again for visibility, and I'm sure there are others.

Most of my overseas observations have been of northern European and Canadian operations where the use of high visibility panels seems to have been less obvious in my defence. I suppose you could argue that VIA Rail adopted Yellow in their livery for similar purposes although on my first observation of a Via Train between Toronto and Montreal it was the powerful running lights that got my attention long before I could identify the nature of the approaching train.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  Yellow fronts are a Godsend in rural areas with occupation crossings and open level crossings.  Why? Because often the lights are hidden behind hedges whereas the top half of a yellow front can give you vital extra seconds of warning against the rural background.  I've often seen the top half of an approaching 158 before the lights begin to be seen on a number of occasions at our local level crossings.

​In any case, who the hell is boithered about a bit of yellow paint apart from non-train using, black-clad trendy-wendy designers, irrelevant enthusiasts and corporate publicists, none of whom can claim to have any right of veto over the assistance the yellow front gives to safety in addition to lights?  Hell, Belgian railways adopted the yellow front quite recently despite having their trains lit up like Blackpool sea front so for our ORR to be going backwards is just idiotic.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A few railways use, or have used, high visibility ends to their trains, not necessarily yellow but something which is intended to increase visibility. CSX use yellow ends, BN had their white face livery, SNCB uses yellow ends amongst others. My view on this is that for the sake of a splash of yellow paint (or a yellow vinyl) it seems silly to get rid of the yellow end. Yes we have lights, but the yellow end can't make it harder to see a train and as a cheap, passive measure it seems silly to ditch it whatever benefits are delivered by high intensity lights. Personally I like yellow ends anyway.

• RMweb Premium

D. 

So consider a dull misty day on a four track line. Two trains approaching from the same direction, one with a defective high intestity light that has failed en route but is not apparent to the driver. Someone will see the fully lit train but the other gets lost amongst the glare from the first one. At least with yellow panels both might just be more visible.

On our roads we now have a new phenomenon where daytime running lights at the front only means there is a growing band of idiots who drive around after dark with no rear lighting because the dashboard is lit and there's a glow from the front!

Dave

On our roads we now have a new phenomenon where daytime running lights at the front only means there is a growing band of idiots who drive around after dark with no rear lighting because the dashboard is lit and there's a glow from the front!

Dave

Non of the cars I have driven in the last 3 or 4 years react internally if just daytime running lights are in use. The dash only lights up and shows lights in use when side lights or main lights are turned on

• RMweb Premium

There's a whole different debate for the yellow ends.

There is:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/101715-the-end-of-the-yellow-panel/page-9

(I've already added my thoughts there.)

Meanwhile back on TPE 68s.

I was having a good look to see how easy it would be to re-livery a Dapol model......

One less colour to use.

post-408-0-72873900-1511127863_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 8

There is:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/101715-the-end-of-the-yellow-panel/page-9

I was having a good look to see how easy it would be to re-livery a Dapol model......

One less colour to use.

attachicon.gif68021.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

That'd be an interesting project, I'm looking forward to seeing your efforts on that.

There is:

One less colour to use.

attachicon.gif68021.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

From the PR images of the Class 800/801 I thought it was all different shades of metallic blue.

Still nice IMHO though

• RMweb Premium

Putting aside the rights and wrongs of no yellow panels I was surprised to find I didn't think that it looked excessively weird without them. I often find non-UK trains without them look, well, odd because of it (especially obvious when it's a former UK loco), seeing as everything I've ever seen in the flesh in the UK outside of preservation has had yellow ends. All about what I'm used to of course.