TPE - Class 68s - Updates

• RMweb Premium

The conventional drawgear really spoils the lines of it, the rest of it looks like a modern train.

Shame we didn't standardise on auto-couplers several decades ago...

We did with the buckeye - worked well enough for the Southern Region..................

TBH, though, the outer end of the DT doesn't require an auto coupler with full electric/control/air as my understanding is that it wouldn't normally be coupled to anything else - except for emergency purposes. The weight of the set - coaches plus 68 will probably dictate the use of a loco to rescue it, so buffers are a good idea.

But it does look awful.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Premium

Looking at that pic, it's not the drawgear itself that spoils it, more the huge oversized fairing around the edge which emphasises it rather than blends it in.  Look at 91s and Mk4 DVTs, the drawgear on those doesn't look out of place (if not as sleek as an HST).

• RMweb Premium

The conventional drawgear really spoils the lines of it, the rest of it looks like a modern train.

Shame we didn't standardise on auto-couplers several decades ago...

Not been terribly keen on modern in just about any way, shape, or form I was going to grumble at that. Then I saw the picture. Yep, pretty ugly and out of place looking. The rest that is, the buffers are OK :) Seriously though I share the sentiment that they've not been included in a way that suits the rest of the design at all.

Edited by Reorte

• RMweb Premium

Looking at that pic, it's not the drawgear itself that spoils it, more the huge oversized fairing around the edge which emphasises it rather than blends it in.  Look at 91s and Mk4 DVTs, the drawgear on those doesn't look out of place (if not as sleek as an HST).

The difference with those is that the cab doesn't narrow towards the front. Mind you the 68s look as if they do and the buffers fit better there (not that they're the most attractive things up front either).

• RMweb Premium

The difference with those is that the cab doesn't narrow towards the front. Mind you the 68s look as if they do and the buffers fit better there (not that they're the most attractive things up front either).

I thinks its the override protection in addition to the buffers

Perhaps as they are passenger carrying they have more stringent requirements on this than the 68's?

Or maybe they need more protection because they are lighter than a locomotive?

We did with the buckeye - worked well enough for the Southern Region..................

TBH, though, the outer end of the DT doesn't require an auto coupler with full electric/control/air as my understanding is that it wouldn't normally be coupled to anything else - except for emergency purposes. The weight of the set - coaches plus 68 will probably dictate the use of a loco to rescue it, so buffers are a good idea.

But it does look awful.

Cheers,

Mick

Well at least it matches the other end and not much point having nice lines when it's going to be at the back of the train half the time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Premium

Does anyone know why they couldn't have made it their under their own power?

I assume they could, but it would have been the ROG class 37 that took them through the Channel tunnel because they are the only UK TOC that can. Therefore when they ‘forgot their passport’ the 37 just took them back.

Edit: the DVTs are designated a ‘Mark 5A MC’ according to the CAF website (with MC presumably meaning motor car or coach)

Edited by cal.n

I saw it explained on another forum. All the moves for CAF are done by Railadventure. They have subcontracted the UK moves to ROG. ROG would then get one of the 92 operators (GB in this case I believe) to take the 68s through the tunnel and deposit them at Frethun for further moves. The 68s can't move themselves as they have to be drained of fuel to go through the tunnel. Also it'd need ROG to have 68 trained drivers, or get DRS to move them, if they had drivers that sign to Dollands Moor. Anyway, that last bit is a moot point anyway 

Jo

I assume they could, but it would have been the ROG class 37 that took them through the Channel tunnel because they are the only UK TOC that can. Therefore when they ‘forgot their passport’ the 37 just took them back.

Diesels are not allowed (under power) through the tunnel

Edit: the DVTs are designated a ‘Mark 5A MC’ according to the CAF website (with MC presumably meaning motor car or coach)

Doubt it would be motor, they don’t have motors! Edited by Talltim

• RMweb Premium

Diesels are not allowed (under power) through the tunnel

Certain diesels are allowed in under power. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36034969@N08/5912227638/in/album-72157644964592771/

They were coupled up to exhaust gas scrubber wagons, but are now fitted with particulate filters

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Premium

I saw it explained on another forum. All the moves for CAF are done by Railadventure. They have subcontracted the UK moves to ROG. ROG would then get one of the 92 operators (GB in this case I believe) to take the 68s through the tunnel and deposit them at Frethun for further moves. The 68s can't move themselves as they have to be drained of fuel to go through the tunnel. Also it'd need ROG to have 68 trained drivers, or get DRS to move them, if they had drivers that sign to Dollands Moor. Anyway, that last bit is a moot point anyway 

Jo

Unlike all the lorries that travel in open wagons through the tunnel?

• RMweb Premium

Yup, daft ain't it!

Perhaps its for the same reason that foot passengers need to go through airline security while cars drive straight on. (Maybe no longer the case now but it certainly was a few years ago).