TPE - Class 68s - Updates

Diesels are not allowed (under power) through the tunnel

Doubt it would be motor, they don’t have motors!

Remember that the 37/6 (of all things) was the proposed traction for diesel hauled nightstar services, and they were retained as rescue locos and did work in the tunnel.

Remember that the 37/6 (of all things) was the proposed traction for diesel hauled nightstar services, and they were retained as rescue locos and did work in the tunnel.

The 37/6s were traction for the nightstar in the regions away from OHLE not on HS1 or in the tunnel, that was class 92s.

A few were used by Eurostar as rescue locos for a short period but only for HS1 and conventional 3rd rail routes. Rescue in the tunnel itself is by Eurotunnel locos which are also used along HS1 now (for example moving the La Poste TGV unit to St Pancras a few years back).

If UK diesel locos have ever worked in the tunnel under power then it was incredibly rare and not a booked regular movement.

• RMweb Premium

... and did work in the tunnel.

No they did NOT!

Please remember that nothing was/ is allowed past the NR / BR boundary unless it has TVM 430 in cab signalling installed. The 37/6 locos had no need for this as they would have handed over the Nightstar service to a class 92 loco in London for the run through Kent and through to Calais.

The 37/6 locos retained by Eurostar were for rescue duties on the BR classic network were ditched when the second phase of HS1 was opened meaning that Eurostar would cease to use the conventional signaled UK rail network.

Eurotunnel have their own fleet of diesel locos for rescue and maintenance purposes - fitted with TVN430 and which are also used on HS1 where diesel drags are required.

From memory, the only 'BR' diesel locos I can think of that entered the tunnel were some 20s using the big scrubber wagons during construction. After that, the 'krupps' used them before having smaller units fitted to the engines themselves. Pretty sure I have a picture of a 20 in the tunnel in a 'Euro Tunnel' book on a shelf somewhere. Never seen mention of the 37s getting in there.

I had a couple of rides  today between Marylebone and Birmingham Moor Street behind the 68's,  i was not the only enthusiast with the same idea too,  I'm impressed by acceleration from station stops and acceleration in the   between 90 to 100 mph range ( speedometer app  on a mobile phone).

I therefore look forward to the riding the 68's on the arduous gradients of the  TPE route,  the diesels may be Caterpilar , but the vigour shown by the locos is not.

• Like 4

68019 and 68021 were at Frethun, en-route to Velim, last evening. Some photos on here:-

https://lapassiondutrain.blogspot.co.uk/

No 37s have been through the Tunnel under their own power, though they, along with 56s and 58s, have been dragged through. The only UK diesel types to have gone through under their own power were some former Cardiff Valleys DMMUs, used to transport fitting-out crews before opening; they worked alongside an ex-SNCF 'Picasso' railcar.

• Like 1

I had a couple of rides  today between Marylebone and Birmingham Moor Street behind the 68's,  i was not the only enthusiast with the same idea too,  I'm impressed by acceleration from station stops and acceleration in the   between 90 to 100 mph range ( speedometer app  on a mobile phone).

I therefore look forward to the riding the 68's on the arduous gradients of the  TPE route,  the diesels may be Caterpilar , but the vigour shown by the locos is not.

I looked up the technical specification of the 68,  3800 hp from the Caterpilar diesel engine

May we consider the  the 68 as  the modern era "Super-Deltic"

Edited by Pandora

• RMweb Premium

68019 and 68021 were at Frethun, en-route to Velim, last evening. Some photos on here:-

https://lapassiondutrain.blogspot.co.uk/

No 37s have been through the Tunnel under their own power, though they, along with 56s and 58s, have been dragged through. The only UK diesel types to have gone through under their own power were some former Cardiff Valleys DMMUs, used to transport fitting-out crews before opening; they worked alongside an ex-SNCF 'Picasso' railcar.

According a well known news site, they've got no further than Frethun due to paperwork issues again

Latest report is that they will return to the UK and find their way to Velim via road and ferry........

Cheers,

Mick

According a well known news site, they've got no further than Frethun due to paperwork issues again

Latest report is that they will return to the UK and find their way to Velim via road and ferry........

Cheers,

Mick

I shall keep eyes and ears open; I'm working in Coquelles tomorrow morning, but I think it'll still be dark when I pass Frethun.

• RMweb Gold

Subject to the completion of staff training, TPE should start using top and tailed Class 68s and the former 'pretendelino' Mark 3s on some of the Liverpool Lime Street - Scarborough service from the commencement of the summer timetable.

One of the rail forums is suggesting that the services to be operated by this combination, rather than the usual Class 185s, will start on 21st May with the 05.56 and the 06.56 services from Lime Street;

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y72120/2018/05/21/advanced

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y72124/2018/05/21/advanced

It should be relatively easy to work out the diagrams for later each day from Real Time Trains.

It's also been suggested that there won't be any loco-hauled workings at weekends, presumably until the Mark 5s become available later this year/next year.

The usual caveats apply in that the above is given in good faith and that plans can change between now and the start of the new timetable - or even on the day !

• Like 3

Unlike all the lorries that travel in open wagons through the tunnel?

Same as ADR rules for hazardous goods 1000 litres of flammable liquid in a drum is ADR 1000 litres of fuel in a generator set or digger and its considered non ADR balmy cos if either fall off the back of my waggon there gonna make a mess and be a fire hazard 

• RMweb Premium

Subject to the completion of staff training, TPE should start using top and tailed Class 68s and the former 'pretendelino' Mark 3s on some of the Liverpool Lime Street - Scarborough service from the commencement of the summer timetable.

One of the rail forums is suggesting that the services to be operated by this combination, rather than the usual Class 185s, will start on 21st May with the 05.56 and the 06.56 services from Lime Street;

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y72120/2018/05/21/advanced

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y72124/2018/05/21/advanced

It should be relatively easy to work out the diagrams for later each day from Real Time Trains.

It's also been suggested that there won't be any loco-hauled workings at weekends, presumably until the Mark 5s become available later this year/next year.

The usual caveats apply in that the above is given in good faith and that plans can change between now and the start of the new timetable - or even on the day !

Thank you very much for posting these times. 

I will venture to Leeds Station to see these. So am I right in thinking that each diagram/service will consist of two 68s meaning that I will be able to see four 68s in Leeds within an hour or so?

Also does SSuX mean that the trains operate Saturday and Sunday only? 

Thank you very much in advance. 

Thank you very much for posting these times. 

I will venture to Leeds Station to see these. So am I right in thinking that each diagram/service will consist of two 68s meaning that I will be able to see four 68s in Leeds within an hour or so?

Also does SSuX mean that the trains operate Saturday and Sunday only? 

Thank you very much in advance. 

Saturday and Sunday excepted, i.e., weekdays only

• RMweb Gold

So am I right in thinking that each diagram/service will consist of two 68s meaning that I will be able to see four 68s in Leeds within an hour or so?

Correct

Thank you very much for letting me know. I really appreciate it. 

That's brilliant. I will definitely be getting the train into Leeds so that I can see these services with the 68s on. Their a rarity in Leeds so I will be making the most of these opportunities. 

Just for you.

post-18572-0-00311300-1522783391_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

The two that went to France came back through the Tunnel last night to Cheriton, before being transferred on to low-loaders; I didn't see them, but one of my drivers told me, when he booked on at about 22:00 UK, that he'd just past them at the gates.

It would appear that these locos didn't present a problem for ET, as they had crossed in both directions, but for the operators on the Mainland.