TPE - Class 68s - Updates

• RMweb Gold

Mk3s that were originally part of the 'Pretendalino' set used on the WCML and that for the most part have been off lease for awhile.  Half of the set is at Laira.  The other half was used for last weeks driver training runs.

• RMweb Gold

If all goes to plan, the Mk3s should only have a relatively short life with TPE as the start of delivery of their Mk5s is scheduled for the first half of next year with introduction into service "scheduled for 2018".  That's assuming everything goes to plan, of course!

The full 'pretendolino' is 9 coaches, does that make just make 1 train of mk3s if it is to replace a set of 2 4-car 350s?

Edit: asking more questions...

Who was the operator of the staff training runs. TPE or DRS?

Edited by cal.n

• RMweb Premium

The full 'pretendolino' is 9 coaches, does that make just make 1 train of mk3s if it is to replace a set of 2 4-car 350s?

Edit: asking more questions...

Who was the operator of the staff training runs. TPE or DRS?

I think the Mk3 sets are planned to be loco+5Mk3+loco. But there seems to be some fluidity to the plan. Dunno where the guard/TM will live though.

The training runs were supervised by DRS, training TPE driver instructors according to a well known railway forum.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

I spoke to a DRS driver at just outside Gresty early on in the year. He was under the impression that all the services would be driven by TPE drivers, however TPE didn't want anything to do with any ECS moves so DRS said "would you like us to do them for you?"..........

• RMweb Premium

There are more Mk3 coaches lying around than just the Pretendolino ones.  Should be enough to manage 2x5-car rakes with a 68 each end and a couple of spares.  That should cover two core duties releasing two 185s of which presumably one would be sent for facelift and the other might be used to strengthen something.  

• 2 weeks later...

Training has started on the Class 68s for the up coming TPE loco hauled services.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1487730087982818&id=121163121306195

Info from the WNXX forum suggests this was a Crewe to Preston and return run.

Looking forward to this loco hauled action when it commences with the MK5 coaches.

Yes

My mate from control at TPE Piccadilly had an interesting day on this from Gresty tagging along on familiarisation and fault finding exercise.

And this has been the case for quite a few years now on the core TPE route between Manchester-Huddersfield-Leeds.

Whilst TPE do run several 2x185s on some peak hour services, the vast majority are a single 3 car 185.  Such are the numbers travelling now along this TPE route and not just in peak hours, even if the 185s had been extended to 4 car as was proposed a few years ago (whilst DaFT prevaricated and eventually declined the proposal), 4 or 8 car trains in the peaks would struggle to cope with passenger numbers in my regular experience.

I'm looking forward to the 68s arriving (they should be employed on the Liverpool Lime Street to Scarborough services I believe) but I do wonder how the use of the proposed rolling stock (Mk3s initially until TPEs order of Mk5 is delivered and commissioned) will impact on station dwell times.  

Yes Liverpool LS to Scarborough

The manadtory use of yellow was only changed very recently and the 68s are among the first types built which fully comply with lighting requirements associated with “no yellow”. The 185s do not qualify being already about 10 years old and built under the regulations which existed at that time.

Of passing interest perhaps is that in Australia where Victorian regional operator V/line has a fleet of around 70 “V/locity” 100mph dmus their original livery of green, lilac and white included no yellow because it was considered the headlights would be sufficient. Later builds carried a revised livery which includes yellow on the ends as many complaints were received that the train could not be seen approaching. One fatal collision between an almost-new unit and a road vehicle resulted in tests being carried out which suggested that the headlights could not be seen and - crucially - interpreted as an approaching train in low light or strong daylight conditions. Yellow was suggested and quickly appeared.

But our great and wonderful DaFT and ORR have done some tests and in ideal circumstances the headlight arrangement is better so they can do away with the yellow end,they dont seem to understand that the railways rarely work in ideal circumstances.

It also seems to go against what they stand for-

Our strategy

Our long-term vision for the mainline railway industry is a partnership of Network Rail, operators, suppliers and funders working together to deliver a safe, high performing, efficient and developing railway.

Taken from-

http://orr.gov.uk/about-orr/what-we-do

How is removing one of the fundamental safety features delivering a safe railway, rail staff especially track workers are 'programmed' to see the yellow end even when not actually looking for it, just as drivers are 'programmed' to see and react to orange, removing that yellow and replacing it with 3 headlights with an output of 5 trillion candle power headlights wont make the trains more visible.

• RMweb Premium

I'm divided on the yellow issue - on the one hand, all the arguments that it is good for being seen stack up, as with the Australian example above, and there have been studies and surveys which back up the safety benefits.  There was a picture in Rail I think it was recently of one of the new class 345 units poking its black front end out of one of the new Crossrail tunnels in the dark, it struck me straight away how much less obvious it was.  

On the other hand, I have lived in France and Germany, and neither of those has yellow ends, and although UK stock always seems to look odd without them, I never thought of it as having something missing when I saw French or German stock.  OK, Germany has the red/white bib, France less so, but I never thought "ooh I couldn't see that coming".  Maybe we'e just so used to having yellow ends, as royaloak said above workers are to an extent pre-programmed to look for yellow rather than to look for trains.  

• RMweb Premium

But our great and wonderful DaFT and ORR have done some tests and in ideal circumstances the headlight arrangement is better so they can do away with the yellow end,they dont seem to understand that the railways rarely work in ideal circumstances.

It also seems to go against what they stand for-

Taken from-

http://orr.gov.uk/about-orr/what-we-do

How is removing one of the fundamental safety features delivering a safe railway, rail staff especially track workers are 'programmed' to see the yellow end even when not actually looking for it, just as drivers are 'programmed' to see and react to orange, removing that yellow and replacing it with 3 headlights with an output of 5 trillion candle power headlights wont make the trains more visible.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

How many of these 'experts' have to dogge* trains for a living?

Yellow ends are a vital safety feature for us track workers - and indeed the general public when using foot crossings. At some stage it's omission WILL result in deaths - all for the sake of poncy marketing / Designer types intent on creating the perfect 'look'.

*Note, Dodgeing trains is the easiest way of communicating to non railway folk how "red zone working with lookout protection" works and should not be taken as an indication of unsafe working practices.

Edited by phil-b259
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Looks like the same one (or at least as adapted for a loco) that TPE is gradually applying to everything. Rather garish for my taste. Since the coaches are AIUI only temporary until the Mk5s are ready are they going to remain in Vrigin colours?

Looks like the same one (or at least as adapted for a loco) that TPE is gradually applying to everything. Rather garish for my taste. Since the coaches are AIUI only temporary until the Mk5s are ready are they going to remain in Vrigin colours?

I assume so, the pretendolino coaches are unbranded which satisfies DfT conditions that it cannot Garry the brand of another TOC.

What is the proposed route for the Loco hauled sets?

• 2 weeks later...