RMweb

Hills of the North - The Last Great Project

LNER4479

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, philip-griffiths said:

Graham doesn’t use DCC,  but a CBUS system of detectors, CANINP and mimic outputs would do the job with two wires…..

He does use DCC..  Duette Command and Control.

Cheaper to use CANBUS out of Peugeot cars.. its an open real standard.. but he doesn't need it here..

Bas

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, philip-griffiths said:

Graham doesn’t use DCC,  but a CBUS system of detectors, CANINP and mimic outputs would do the job with two wires…..

Nope, you lost me after the 'just two wires' bit ... 😵‍💫

• Like 3
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
On 18/01/2024 at 08:50, Tony Teague said:

How would that manage to show track occupancy?

8 hours ago, philip-griffiths said:

A straightforward DCC mimic display driven by point control would show route selection easily enough.  Of course as @philip-griffiths says occupancy does need additional detection but this can also be relayed up to the panel using mimic components.  The point I was trying to make is that you could do it all with just two wires up to the balcony.

Whether all the time, effort and investment in electrickery at either end of the two wires would be worth it, is another matter, of course!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

This is more interesting ...

PXL_20240118_193718756.jpg.46f20cb11f58cb3c9f900d2a845ad5da.jpg

Curving a Code75 3-way point.

PXL_20240118_193552599.jpg.17b79f7fcfac065d0cb4500e6f394ef2.jpg

Actually quite easy. Peco have thoughtfully already provided a series of gaps in the webbing underneath so it's easy to induce a (gentle!) curve there. Just needs a few more nicks fore and aft and job done 👍

That’s lovely.

Will doing this decrease the radius at one side and increase it at the other?

15 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

That’s lovely.

Will doing this decrease the radius at one side and increase it at the other?

Yes - that's inevitable. However, the Code 75 3-way is a vastly superior item compared to its Code 100 equivalent - in fact, before someone else corrects me, it's not actually a 3-way per se; it's more correctly described as a tandem point. In Peco terms, it's a left hand and right hand medium radius point interlaced. I work on the basis of a med radius point being about 3.5ft, meaning that what I have done above steepens the left hand curve to about 3ft? Shouldn't cause a problem.

The primary purpose of what I've done here is to induce a shallow curve into the 'straight ahead' route, in order to maintain alignment at that part of the Upperby curve (approx 9ft at that point). What happens to the other radii is a consequence, not the driver. It'll make more sense once you see it in position.

• Like 15
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

The primary purpose of what I've done here is to induce a shallow curve into the 'straight ahead' route, in order to maintain alignment at that part of the Upperby curve (approx 9ft at that point). What happens to the other radii is a consequence, not the driver. It'll make more sense once you see it in position.

Have you tried curving any of Peco's Bullhead range before?

It's exaggerated (taken on 2x telephoto). That's the point blade. I can induce a slight curve into it if needed but don't think it'll be be necessary - it's not like it's fine scale or anything (!)

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Bloodnok said:

Not yet, but I hope to tackle some soon. I'm not expecting it to be fundamentally different.

• Like 5

On 19/01/2024 at 22:02, Bloodnok said:

On 20/01/2024 at 14:33, LNER4479 said:

Not yet, but I hope to tackle some soon. I'm not expecting it to be fundamentally different.

I've curved the bullhead large radius points, creating both (approximate equivalent) 9ft/3ft radius curved points and a Y. Simply not a problem. No need to cut the bases anywhere if the point is being fixed down to hold its shape. More extreme curving would result in the tie-bar becoming skewed so much as to bind against the adjacent timbers. I've also re-gapped and re-wired them to get "traditional" proper electrofrog, with long polarity-switched crossings and no scope for short circuits from flange-backs or wide treads. Additionally, I cut off the silly "bent timber" (and others) at the divergent end of the point to improve realism and allow closer spacing of parallel tracks. Some suitable methods are illustrated (by others, not me) in the Peco Bullhead topic on this very website, and probably elsewhere too .

Edited by gr.king
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Questionable whether any of the closer-to-hand ones even need point motors for a home layout?

As long as they are close to the hand of whoever is doing the shunting  then they'll be fine without.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Questionable whether any of the closer-to-hand ones even need point motors for a home layout?

3 hours ago, ian said:

As long as they are close to the hand of whoever is doing the shunting  then they'll be fine without.

I suggest that if the points in question are part of the main line they should be motorised. Otherwise, eventually, someone will forget to flick them across.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Agree 3

10 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I suggest that if the points in question are part of the main line they should be motorised. Otherwise, eventually, someone will forget to flick them across.

Everything on the signalbox diagram will be motored and interlocked with signals etc. I was talking about shunting points only, outside the signalled area.

• Like 5

A brief return to the Water Orton to Carlisle freights. I’ve yet to recover my books from storage. I have though a picture of Hornby 92167 about to commence the journey from my layout of Water Orton. I’m sad to say the layout has now gone pending said house move. The tender would have been filled quite a bit more than here though!

FD0E8455-8F9B-400B-8CBC-A381CA53A589.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Ooh - nearly forgot. It's not escaped my notice that the subject of this thread has been nominated in the 2023 awards, so thanks to those who nominated it for the shortlist.

It's only a bit of fun but feel free to click on the BRMA 2023 awards banner if you feel so moved 🤩 

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Thanks Mike. I am aware - propped up against the shoebox is a picture of that end of the shed (quite a popular viewpoint - is there a bridge at that point?) and I fully intend to have the nearest road running through as you describe and try and make something of that scene. Last night was just a rough plonk down of some lengths of tracks, principally focused on the configuration of pointwork I require.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

That photo is taken from Nelson bridge which is the continuation of Victoria viaduct at the north end of Citadel, the bridge also goes across the river here. We have a low relief version of that goods shed alongside a line which just disappears into the wall - we just have the through goods lines, no room for Dentonholme yard (the building  wasn't big enough....).

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2