Hills of the North - The Last Great Project

LNER4479

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

..,And the sad thing is that, in truth, this coach will slip down the bank (behind No.6201) with barely a second glance from 95% of the folks watching...

But if it wasn’t there, someone would notice and you know it’s there, so…

• Like 4
  • Agree 4

• 3 weeks later...

Those ground signals really look the part. Excellent scratch-building to make use of some parts you already had.

Right. I’ve probably asked before and I’ve searched and I’ve re-read this thread and I’ve re-read the Leeds London Road and the Monsal Dale threads and I still can’t find it - I’m sure you posted a brief ‘tutorial’ on exactly how you curve standard PECO points somewhere on the Forum, but… Any chance you can point me in the right direction?

Thanks both @John76 and @LNER4479. I’ll be bookmarking that directly so I don’t lose it again!

If you can find the pictures@LNER4479, that would be extremely helpful (apparently a picture speaks a thousand words), but I’m in no rush!

I started following ‘Hills of the North’ after I’d started building ‘Rylstone’. I never considered trying to curve PECO points and since ‘Rylstone’ was one long curve, I thought hand building the track was my only option. By the time I abandoned ‘Rylstone’, I’d already bought kits for the pointwork and, being from Yorkshire, couldn’t bear the thought I might’ve spent money unnecessarily, so the continued down the hand built track route!

How things might’ve turned out, eh?

Edited by Tortuga
Reasons
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Thanks both @John76 and @LNER4479. I’ll be bookmarking that directly so I don’t lose it again!

If you can find the pictures@LNER4479, that would be extremely helpful (apparently a picture speaks a thousand words), but I’m in no rush!

I started following ‘Hills of the North’ after I’d started building ‘Rylstone’. I never considered trying to curve PECO points and since ‘Rylstone’ was one long curve, I thought hand building the track was my only option. By the time I abandoned ‘Rylstone’, I’d already bought kits for the pointwork and, being from Yorkshire, couldn’t bear the thought I might’ve spent money unnecessarily, so the continued down the hand built track route!

How things might’ve turned out, eh?

I think the best write up of the point bending was an article by Graham in Railway Modeller spread over three editions. I can’t remember when but they were Summer editions 5ish years ago.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, thegreenhowards said:

I think the best write up of the point bending was an article by Graham in Railway Modeller spread over three editions. I can’t remember when but they were Summer editions 5ish years ago.

Hmm. I don’t regularly pick up any of the railway magazines. My loss in this case I guess.

Unless there’s an online index I could use to check which editions to look out for?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

T - minus two days (as of when photos were taken). Bits of Shap fiddle yard set out for final (ha!) wiring in amongst the organised chaos of the chapel. Situation normal.

(Now at M62 service station en route to show with - hopefully - all of the layout in the back of the van this time ... )

PXL_20221208_131436987.jpg

PXL_20221208_131521418.jpg

If you had two chapels you'd be no better off!

Mike.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

If you had two chapels you'd be no better off!

Mike.

Worse off.  Twice as much to keep tidy!

Paul.

• Agree 2

No pix I'm afraid but can report that layout is all safely set up, ready to go at the Manchester show. We appear not to have forgotten anything crucial this time round(!) Meanwhile the (re)wiring continued until 8pm booting out time. Inevitably, once set up as a complete layout, several electrical quirks revealed themselves that Andrew hadn't anticipated. Situation normal.

See you there if you're coming. The more folks in the hall, the warmer it'll be...

🥶🥶🥶 ... 🥵🥵🥵

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

Thoroughly enjoyed viewing the layout today - particularly the way that the banker dropped off at the summit & the (formerly) banked train pulled away. Superb operation.

Lovely variety of stock to be seen too.

Well done all 👍

Mark.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1