Hills of the North - The Last Great Project

LNER4479

Definitely lined black underneath all that brown Stephen! Watching the video back and forth, the only piece of lining that can be seen is at the front of the tank where - I'm presuming - water spilling down from the tank filler has washed away sufficient dirt to reveal the livery beneath? An odd weathering effect which I've tried to replicate. Further comparison pix below.

DSC03636.JPG.479eee3ab12cc3beb8ac91837208b0ad.JPG

42110_1.jpg.6d17fdc9125a7c8a7c1d7578f0325935.jpg

Colour photos show that some of the Std 4 4-6-0s transferred in at the end were green liveried, from the Western Region, complete with blue dot route indicator beneath the number. 75024 & 75026 (with double chimneys) are examples I've found on t'internet. The now preserved 75027 might fit into the same category.

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Definitely lined black underneath all that brown Stephen!

Looking again more closely I see that what I had taken for black and orange lining on the model is in fact cream and red - so if the livery of the model is as difficult to be sure of as the prototype, that's definitely a tribute to your weathering!

• Like 3

15 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

MANCHESTER SHOW REPORT

Layout generally well-received. We were three deep during the busiest time, middle of the day Saturday. Here follows a few pix from a slightly quieter time - 8.30 this morning!

Layout looked and ran well when I stopped for a look on Sunday morning and it was good to have a chat and show you the South Pelaw controls.  I look forward to seeing the great project when it has advanced enough and, as mentioned, you are more than welcome to come and see South Pelaw at home sometime.

John

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Except that there's a problem (!) Upon first offering, it was a tight fit - too tight - between the frames

I have often wondered about the tight fitting gearboxes.  I saw from your pictures (very helpful BTW) that you have fitted bearings in the frames and the gearbox, but I was wondering if it is possible to use one set of bearings for the frames and gearbox and if this reduces the amount of friction/resistance?

Thanks

Steve

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, sjp23480 said:

I have often wondered about the tight fitting gearboxes.  I saw from your pictures (very helpful BTW) that you have fitted bearings in the frames and the gearbox, but I was wondering if it is possible to use one set of bearings for the frames and gearbox and if this reduces the amount of friction/resistance?

Thanks

Steve

The DJH gearbox comes with the bearings already fitted so I had to run with what I had. I'm not sure if I've ever tried one common bearing before? Sounds plausible ... I must try it sometime 😉

1 hour ago, lincolnshiremodeller said:

What does that mean? As opposed to...?

A showcase loco?! When I build for myself, my priority is a reasonable looking loco that runs well and is capable of doing a job of work. If I'm building for someone else different matter. My starting point in such a case is unlikely to be a previous generation, w/m kit.

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, sjp23480 said:

Thanks

Steve

I have done that a few times.  I used one set of bearings on the driven axle, passing through both the frames and the gearbox.  I did think it might lead to a more freely running loco, as the motor and gearbox are then carried by the frames (via the bearings) rather than on the driven axle.  But it does mean that once you've soldered these bearings in place the gearbox is captive, as is the motor unless you can screw it to the gearbox after the gearbox has been installed.  I'd like to think it does lead to a more freely running loco, but it's one of those things that it's difficult to quantify.  The locos I've built like that have all been good runners.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

The box in front of the LH side of the cab contains the reversing gear. This was just about the only bit inherited from the Claughtons which actually formed part of the Patriots which were nominally rebuilt from them. Inside the cab there is the LNW reverser wheel set horizontally at the level of the top of the box, inside the box is a vertical rocker transferring the motion down to the MR position reach rod.

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

Certainly nothing to do with the injectors....

The ejector pipe goes into a manifold inside the cab.

1261508194_ScreenShot2022-12-30at13_43_16.png.97d961e7b85da8545ed1e941046ece0b.png

This fragment of the GA shows the LNW reverser wheel and the pipe from the ejector, one branch up to the brake handle, the other down under the floor.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3