Hills of the North - The Last Great Project

LNER4479

• RMweb Premium

Nice to see the Midday  Scot coming together. 

The SFO uses Mousa etches. I have another set to build for use on my own layout.

Hope the journey back went well.

Baz

Edited by Barry O
tablet plus pudgy fingers speelung!
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Barry O said:

Nice to see the Midday Cot coming together. 

The SFO uses Mousa etches. I have another set to build for usen9n my own layout.

Hope the journey back went well.

Baz

Ideal for a lunchtime nap...

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

The weekend seems to have gone well, and congratulations on winning the Taunton Shield. 

Could two 46245s run on Shap?

284807155_Shap206Coronation46245lowview.jpg.6dd3e5c8aaf75840669d5094107b5e91.jpg

887754829_Shap214Coronation46245onDownCaledonian.jpg.eac11d2db805585228b6cc5a98151634.jpg

217366300_Shap21646245atSummit01.jpg.d2a23ec6c0e726c29f3afd1a21717c19.jpg

1009630396_Shap21646245atSummit02.jpg.2021e0ea74057a582c07500c66b495bd.jpg

Graham, as you know this is a DJH kit (painted by Geoff Haynes). 

If you recall its construction was published in the RM in April 2020, to coincide with the York Show. Covid put the mockers on that. 

Seeing that Shap is at York next Easter, you're more than welcome to borrow this CITY OF LONDON again (and any other ex-LMS locos I've built).

Once again, well done, though I don't envy you the travelling. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Really enjoyed watching the trains on Saturday morning. The theatrical type 'impressionistic' presentation is very convincing and (most) of the trains ran well. There seemed to be an issue with an EE Type 4 needing 'assistance' while we watched - possibly matching real life, apart from the large hands descending! The banker locomotive operation worked well too and our lad was most impressed with the way the main trains carried on and the banker dropped off. All just as you always intended it to work, but still good to see it in reality.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, 92220 said:

A shorter video of two of HotN’s deservedly popular trains, firstly a Crosti 8F on a train of car flats built on the underframes of ex LMS carriages, with banking help from one of the Fairburn 2-6-4 tanks, and then the down early 50s Royal Scot with 46223 in charge.

A couple more photos, please excuse the quality or lack thereof.

45DDA6E6-73DE-4BE7-9654-083123878411.jpeg.233459f7b8d01d1af5e59611a885a642.jpeg

A555E8D5-1004-4FA1-81FB-A9F8EC24DB13.jpeg.0dae95a075a71f8a0d30b8a349cceb29.jpeg

150BE626-10E2-4943-A3E0-B3EE06D510A5.jpeg.b47eac4e3df413aec9746d9b3d6c2033.jpeg

5503E77E-EE79-458B-825B-00837A953056.jpeg.5a1eb825e86fe1e0a05a86980fa3dc2d.jpeg

Iain

As impressive as Shap is, that car train, banker and all, is even more impressiver!

Mike.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

On 24/10/2022 at 21:06, Tony Wright said:

Could two 46245s run on Shap?

Seeing that Shap is at York next Easter, you're more than welcome to borrow this CITY OF LONDON again (and any other ex-LMS locos I've built).

Regards,

Tony. 

Thanks Tony. Iain's 46245 was just there for the day so, unless he's planning to grace us with his presence at York then there shouldn't be a 'battle of the '45's (oblique Jacobite rebellion reference in there somewhere?). Even if both were there, we'd give them both a run in any case (but not at the same time!). I would of course be delighted to host your 46245 again at York, thanks very much for the offer.

On 24/10/2022 at 21:56, Ramblin Rich said:

Really enjoyed watching the trains on Saturday morning. The theatrical type 'impressionistic' presentation is very convincing and (most) of the trains ran well. There seemed to be an issue with an EE Type 4 needing 'assistance' while we watched - possibly matching real life, apart from the large hands descending! The banker locomotive operation worked well too and our lad was most impressed with the way the main trains carried on and the banker dropped off. All just as you always intended it to work, but still good to see it in reality.

Glad you enjoyed the show, Rich. The dear old Jouef EE Type 4 on the oil train did take most of Saturday to settle down. Tom (who wasn't able to be at Taunton) churns out oil tank wagons for fun and there are considerably more than we need. Added to which is that the Std Class 4MT 4-6-0 that banks that train is just a little too 'keen' and was attempting to push too many of the wagons, leading to derailments at the rear of the train. By a gradual, iterative process (of trying different combination of wagons), we did eventually get to a stable formation by lunchtime Sunday ...

(I took some photos of the 'winning' combination so we can hopefully hit the ground running a bit more at Manchester)

16 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

As impressive as Shap is, that car train, banker and all, is even more impressiver!

Mike.

Thanks, Mike. It's certainly a crowd pleaser, whilst being based absolutely on a prototype (1967) photo. I'm sure most will already be aware, but the cars depicted all represent products from the Halewood Ford plant on Merseyside, being sent to the Scottish distribution centre at Bathgate (Edinburgh). Plenty of pictures exist of these trains both over Shap and on the Waverley route. Some of our cars are arguably a little too kaleidoscopic - most prototype pics show the cars to be predominantly white or pale blue - but, hey, rule 1 and all that.

All in all, whilst we had a pretty rough start to the show (mea culpa), the layout subsequently settled down and seem to go down well. Looking ahead now very much to the Manchester show - those who know me will know that's very much a 'home' show for me. I have quite a list of various tweaks and improvements between now and then; meanwhile, Andrew has the fiddle yard in his tender care to (hopefully!) finish off his remaining wiring work.

So, less than seven weeks to go before we do it all again!

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

We have the same banking operation (but with every train) on Wentworth Junction with the same occasional mismatch of loco speeds. If the banker is running too fast just slowing the whole train down usually avoids any problems. Admittedly this is easier on the Worsborough where trains were often only going at walking pace but I didn't see a singke derailment of a banked train during the whole weekend at Leeds. We get told all the time that "you can't do banking without DCC".......

• Like 8
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

We have the same banking operation (but with every train) on Wentworth Junction with the same occasional mismatch of loco speeds. If the banker is running too fast just slowing the whole train down usually avoids any problems. Admittedly this is easier on the Worsborough where trains were often only going at walking pace but I didn't see a singke derailment of a banked train during the whole weekend at Leeds. We get told all the time that "you can't do banking without DCC".......

You can do (almost) anything either with or without DCC. Some things are easier one way, some things the other.

• Like 4
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

All in all, whilst we had a pretty rough start to the show (mea culpa), the layout subsequently settled down and seem to go down well. Looking ahead now very much to the Manchester show - those who know me will know that's very much a 'home' show for me. I have quite a list of various tweaks and improvements between now and then; meanwhile, Andrew has the fiddle yard in his tender care to (hopefully!) finish off his remaining wiring work.

So, less than seven weeks to go before we do it all again!

@wenlockand I will be there with Dave's 7mm Sherton Abbas this year, our furthest trip north by a considerable margin. I'm very much looking forward to seeing Shap in the flesh.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

@wenlockand I will be there with Dave's 7mm Sherton Abbas this year, our furthest trip north by a considerable margin. I'm very much looking forward to seeing Shap in the flesh.

I do hope you will at least wear underpants?

Mike.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

Graham,

You might find there is no pipe work on the roof for the toilet tank.  It was far more common to have a man on the roof filling the tank with a convenient hose at a larger station.  Certain lack of Health and Safety back then.

Paul

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Funnily enough Paul, I've come to pretty much the same conclusion myself, having a more detailed look through the Jenkinson book. Plenty of steps and attendant grab rails at the end to get up on the roof. Presumably some sort of filler cap above the tank ... or was even that a flush fitting? The great Mr Jenkinson appears silent on the matter?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Funnily enough Paul, I've come to pretty mu versions..

Bazch the same conclusion myself, having a more detailed look through the Jenkinson book. Plenty of steps and attendant grab rails at the end to get up on the roof. Presumably some sort of filler cap above the tank ... or was even that a flush fitting? The great Mr Jenkinson appears silent on the matter?

There is a D1720a vehicle in the Lakes set on Shap RedLeader.

Baz

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Graham,

The cutting and shutting looks good. I haven't done a D1720 as they were all reclad as D1720a. Mine is still a long way off from being finished.

011.jpg.8224d40c783844d4487c2632b911d1f4.jpg

Yes I know the roof should be like Red Leader's model, one of the many jobs to do......one day.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

53 minutes ago, Barry O said:

There is a D1720a vehicle in the Lakes set on Shap RedLeader.

Baz

Indeed - 'twas your good self who first pointed out the Stanier re-skinning programme of earlier vehicles. Don't you have about 5 Dia.1720a's in total?

• Like 1